Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2022, 10:14 PM

44 posts, read 21,403 times

Advertisements

Well let me try..

First off born in upper Manhattan Then moved to the bottom of Ohio for a couple of years and then moved to Louisville KY where I actually grew up When I turned 17 my parents had me join the active reserve for 6 months active duty and then sent me back to metro NY and I graduated High School on LI. Family moved to Queens and I joined them. The next year my father died and my Family bought a 2 story town house in the upper Bronx. I went to engineering school at Manhattan College.. I worked all the years in college on a set of jobs some of which were interesting. I married in my 4th year and graduated in my 5th. I was recruited by Xerox and my wife and I moved to central Rochester. I had a very good career at Xerox and wife went to work at a local hospital. 7 years later I transferred to El Segundo and moved to Los Alamitos. 5 years later was moved back to Rochester. 3 years later back to El Segundo. Unfortunately my wife died early in this tour. Later in it I married the lady who had been my Secretary. I retired and moved to Las Vegas. After 4 years we took up selling Real Estate which we continue to do.
So much for the basics...

For my last two Years in College I worked for the Institute for Applied Biology as well as going to school. ended up designing the world's first practical preparative phoresies apparatus. Best job for a fresh young engineer. Responsible for it all. Next was Xerox rapidly found out I was working for a set of manufacturing engineers who were not skilled at the development process. Spent as total of 35 years there climbing the ranks. Retired in 1996. Wife and I moved to Las Vegas where we have stayed.

Acquired 26 patents in the US 100s world wide.

So yeah I like NYC - but there are lots of other good places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2022, 06:06 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,305,800 times
Most people who say this rarely enjoy the many amenities that NYC has to offer. NYC has 3 airports (plus LI and Westchester) with cheap flights if one plans in advance. Airbnbs are cheap. Move for the quality of life and visit once or twice a year to get your NYC fix. A cheap extended weekend to NYC will cost about $600 to $800 each trip. I am guessing you would save much more and have an amazing improvement in your quality of life if you move somewhere else.

I had a friend who moved and hated it. Promptly moved back to their mom's house. I also have MANY friends and family who moved and are THRIVING! Bought houses, started businesses, traveling etc.

Old 06-03-2022, 03:28 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,163,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
From someone who moved recently: I don’t miss a damned thing. I hate that I still have to spend so much time in NYC. NONE of it is leisure time. Work and family responsibilities only. I will eventually move much further away to a place that hopefully offers no resemblance to NYC whatsoever.
Same here. I work in an area with million dollar plus condos, and down the block is filthy trash strawn streets. We all know how the subways are basically the Mad Max Thunderdome, not to mention the high cost of just basic living. Im never moving back either. Hope to get further away also. Give me lots of green, wildlife and quiet and I could go full rural too.

Old 06-03-2022, 04:43 PM

2,651 posts, read 1,249,896 times
The takeaway from this thread:

The answer is UNIQUE for each person.

Some people love NYC, some don't. Some love it more elsewhere, some don't.

A lot also depends on where one moves to when they leave: moving from NYC to Miami, LA, or Chicago is a lot different than moving to Shorter, Alabama or Shoshoni, Wyoming.

Depending on what some people like, moving to Wyoming might be a much better alternative, especially if the city life doesn't interest them much.

For me, there are things I definitely like about NY, but at the same time, I really could do without them (or access to them everyday). While I do like the different restaurants, museums, and theatre, it's gotten to the point where I'm kind of bored with the NYC lifestyle. Yes there's variety of those aforementioned thing, but after awhile, they all kind of blend together and start seeming the same. Not that they're bad, but I just don't find them as "exciting" as I did when I was younger. Still enjoy them to a degree, but don't feel like I'm really experiencing anything new in NYC anymore. A different restaurant, a different art exhibit, a different show. There's definitely worse places to be, but the growing cons of this place are not contributing enough to a sense of satisfaction to really justify it for me anymore. Others it still might.

The other thing that really struck me was seeing how quickly all the things that I actually enjoy and appeal to me about NYC could get taken away in an instant. Covid came and POOF. Any and every thing that appealed to me about NYC was gone. It came back. But what's not to say that it couldn't happen again?

Someone suggested to the OP to move somewhere and visit to do the things they enjoy about NYC every so often during the year. That sounds like a plan that would appeal to someone like me. If I could arrange my work situation in a way that makes sense to leave, I'd do it. Though I would definitely come back to visit to enjoy the things that I do like about NY.

I've also been mulling this over. Not so much out of concern about "getting bored" if I leave (I know I won't), but rather if I want to go to a smaller city, a much smaller city, or a rural area. There are plusses and minuses to each option, but I am confident that the answers will come at the right time.

Old 06-03-2022, 06:19 PM

44 posts, read 21,403 times
As I said above I graduated from Manhattan College and worked as an engineer for the Institute of Applied Biology. Let's talk about some of that.

First I needed a difficult injection mold.4" x 6"..060 inches thick.Got lots of advice that it could not be successfully produced. Came across a new plastic mold compound. Called the company and got them to donate 500 lbs to help hard science.

Talked to my machinist at Lexington and 125th Street. He was German trained but went with the Americans through WW2. He got together with a set of friends and thought up ways I would be able to make a mold for the part. The key thing was no steel- all brass. The intent was simply to allow the mold to be distorted as needed. Built the molds - made 25 of them. Talked to a molder in Long Island City. Talked into helping science.. He agreed to one of his fancy machines on a Saturday. He brought in a cadre of his most skilled techs. Using a half dozen pieces of shim stock they actually were able to make the part with the thickness within one thousand of flat. Years later at the University of Arizona Professor Bier was told they were impossible to make,Bier shut them up by showing a few hundred of the ones we made.

Next thing was the cooling system- Basically a tube and tube heat exchanger that used a refrigerant to cool a biological buffer solution. I designed the tube in tube exchanger and got a metal works shop in Brooklyn to make me a dozen. Carried them on the subway back to the lab. Found an AC and refrigerator repair two blocks north. Convinced him to finish them off for $10.00 each. The cooling compressor was simply one of the standard ones.

We needed a relatively complex power supply. I found a company whose specialty was power supplies for ships at the dock. They could actually pull the facade off their facility to load the larger units on trucks. They had an interest in smaller units as as sideline. I helped them design one to meet our needs which they continued to list as a product. We bought 12 of them very cheaply.

All of this stuff went into a pair of standard electronic cabinets with a bridge between them As I remember we made 4 of them and stored the remaining parts.

I believe Bier took all of them to the U of AZ when they moved there.

All of this was a substantial medical experiment which failed. Bier and many others believed that the removal of the gamma globulin from a mammals blood would allow transplants to work. We set up our sheep and ran her blood through our apparatus a number of times. At the end she showed no gamma globulin.

Unfortunately mother nature outwitted us. The next day her blood showed a pseudo gamma globulin. Not the same as her original gamma globulin but close and obviously made from the other serum proteins. We were ready to try it on humans but this put an end to that.

Old 06-03-2022, 07:20 PM

1,213 posts, read 570,457 times
NY’ers love to move to quiet rural areas and liberate them.

Old 06-03-2022, 07:36 PM

3,523 posts, read 1,430,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardstarkey View Post
NY’ers love to move to quiet rural areas and liberate them.
I’ve lived in NY all my life and the one thing I still fail to understand is why NYers are always in a hurry. Like seriously, what is the rush????

Old 06-03-2022, 09:02 PM

5,746 posts, read 2,647,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
I’ve lived in NY all my life and the one thing I still fail to understand is why NYers are always in a hurry. Like seriously, what is the rush????
Because we live busy lives and always have a million things going on.
Who has time to walk slow....

Old 06-04-2022, 06:32 AM

25,395 posts, read 37,151,865 times
Quote:
Are they right? Will I find Florida boring since I've been spoiled by NYC and all that it has to offer?
Of course you will quickly become bored silly.

Old 06-04-2022, 07:41 AM

2,862 posts, read 2,420,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Guess you’ve never been late and had to catch a train/bus before
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City