Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 04:35 PM

423 posts, read 1,533,518 times

Advertisements

There's a new movie about the noise pollution in NYC and wonder if there's any truth to it about how much noise there is in the city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2008, 04:49 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,960,396 times
I don't even notice it. I was born here and have lived here for almost my entire life.

New York is as quiet as a tomb compared to Athens, Paris and Rome....

Old 05-14-2008, 05:18 PM

423 posts, read 1,533,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
I don't even notice it. I was born here and have lived here for almost my entire life.

Maybe just a reason to make another movie about NY

Old 05-14-2008, 07:25 PM

85 posts, read 415,798 times
Totally depends on which neighborhood you live in. There was an article in the NY Post recently about the loudest neighborhoods. I think Wash Heights near the GWB was the loudest. Average Decibels were measured, and this particular neighborhood and a few others were actually noisy enough to be in the range that causes hearing loss after prolonged exposure. I can tell you that after years of hearing the elevated train, I still can't stand the noise it makes.

So some neighborhoods can be very noisy, others I am sure are quieter.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:37 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,972,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post

I don't know how you came to this conclusion, I've never been to rome, but athens never seemed as noisy as ny

Old 05-14-2008, 10:18 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,376,230 times
The only areas that seem really noisy to me are right next to the El. I think I'd go nuts if I lived around one of them.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:24 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,252,906 times
It all depends on where you live. I used to live on St. Marks in the East Village which was loud on the street but I lived on the 5th floor in the back and rarely heard a thing. Now I live near the GWB and it is quieter than the street I used to live on in Harlem. The only thing that really bothers me are the occasional helicopters in the middle of the night. They give me bad 9/11 flashbacks.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:29 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,148,911 times
I never realized how noisy New York was until I took my 4 week old son outside for the first time on the upper west side of Manhattan, and noticed how much he flinched in my arms everytime a siren went off, a garbage can slammed down, cars honked, trucks went rattling by, etc. I looked up and thought, "Hey, it's really noisy here." I didn't notice until I watched my baby notice and be startled. Then, of course, I wanted the whole city to quiet down. -LOL

Old 05-15-2008, 12:26 AM

757 posts, read 3,365,143 times
According to acocustic psychologist Arline Bronzaft's 1975 landmark study:
Selecting Noise as a Research Issue
As an environmental psychologist living in New York City, I decided to focus my attention on a problem that has been identified by the Police Quality of Life Hotline as the number one complaint— NOISE. Congested highways, crowded high-rises, and a subway that thunders past the homes of hundreds of thousands of people make New York City a noisy place to live in. Can’t we do something to lessen the noise of the subways, limit the numbers of cars on our roads, and pass zoning laws to stop the proliferation of high-rise buildings in overdeveloped communities?

Pondering the fact that the noise of New York City was harmful to its inhabitants, especially the children, I gave serious thought to conducting a study on the effects of elevated train noise on children’s learning. The opportunity to carry out such a study was provided by a school principal. He believed that the students in his school who attended classrooms lying adjacent to elevated train tracks were being adversely affected by train noise. What made this school an ideal site for research was the presence of a group of classrooms on the other side of the building that did not face the tracks.

Comparing the reading scores for these two groups of children, one on the noisy side and the other on the quiet side, I discovered that by the sixth grade, the children on the noisy side were about one year behind in reading (Bronzaft and McCarthy, 1975).
The paper starts on the pdf page 24 of the journal. http://interact.uoregon.edu/MediaLit/wfae/journal/scape_2.pdf (broken link)

I know that for years noise was by far the leading complaint called in to 3-1-1. I think it's gotten a little better, or maybe my hearing's just deteriorated so I don't notice so much. Maybe?!!

Old 05-15-2008, 11:01 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,124,387 times
The construction just never seems to end. Anywhere. I think that contributes to the problem. When they were expanding the subway downtown by the ferry - I think it was last summer - they had to set off dynamite. There were signs everywhere telling you what the sirens meant. 1 toot for this, 2 for that. So you would hear these sirens and then a giant explosion and a little ground shaking. I kept thinking WHERE AM I???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: