Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2021, 11:58 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The Department of Education released a draft proposal for its plan to increase diversity throughout School District 15 this month, following a planning process that was increased by a year to allow for more public input.

The plan focuses on desegregating schools in Cobble Hill, Carroll Gardens, Red Hook, and Boerum Hill, by changing the existing zoning lines and shifting some admissions priority towards historically underserved students.

. . .

In its draft plan, the District Planning Office recommended widening the zoning boundaries of certain schools, and shrinking the boundaries of others, in an effort to shift enrollment to schools that can handle it, and reduce enrollment at overcrowded schools.

The schools that the department has recommended increasing the zones for are PS 32 in Carroll Gardens, PS 38 in Boerum Hill, and PS 15 in Red Hook, while the schools it is recommending have their zones shrunk are PS 58 and PS 29 in Carroll Gardens and Cobble Hill respectively — two of the most sought-after public elementary schools in Brooklyn.

. . .

The department is also recommending giving 30 percent priority to underrepresented students in the admissions process to those schools in the zone that encompasses Carroll Gardens, Cobble Hill, Boerum Hill, and Red Hook.
https://www.brooklynpaper.com/city-r...desegregation/

Interesting. I wonder if this plan will slowly (or quickly) lead to parents taking their children out of public schools and putting them into private schools, which would make the move a fool's errand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2021, 08:03 PM

16,035 posts, read 6,843,318 times
REsponse: opinion

Dang......Bill is out to make enemies even where he lives............

Home owners along bus stops where these school urchins congregate
install security cameras. I have a feeling properties are going to be vandalized.

I hope I am wrong.........................

Old 05-26-2021, 08:25 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Aww, people complaining about free stuff

Don't like it then pay for parochial or private

That's the usual rhetoric around here right, tuition's free so why is anybody complaining

So dont complain about free stuff

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-26-2021, 09:08 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
https://www.brooklynpaper.com/city-r...desegregation/

Interesting. I wonder if this plan will slowly (or quickly) lead to parents taking their children out of public schools and putting them into private schools, which would make the move a fool's errand.
It's already been happening, and things like this is only accelerating it.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/enrollm...ay-11604485800

Old 05-26-2021, 09:13 PM

608 posts, read 239,433 times
People don't work to get the money to afford living in Cobble Hill to put up with their kids having to go to the same school as ghetto dirtbag kids from Brownsville.

That's just a fact, but I do sooo apologize for my tragically irresponsible behavior of stating a fact...

Old 05-26-2021, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriousMaximum View Post
People don't work to get the money to afford living in Cobble Hill to put up with their kids having to go to the same school as ghetto dirtbag kids from Brownsville.

That's just a fact, but I do sooo apologize for my tragically irresponsible behavior of stating a fact...
If I was from Brownsville I would find that pretty offensive

Old 05-26-2021, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
If I was from Brownsville I would find that pretty offensive
I mean, you're not wrong, but this -is- the truth behind Cobble Hill parents pulling their kids out of public schools. Is truth the new hate speech?

Old 05-26-2021, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriousMaximum View Post
I mean, you're not wrong, but this -is- the truth behind Cobble Hill parents pulling their kids out of public schools. Is truth the new hate speech?
How well do you know Cobble Hill? Do you know there's million dollar houses across the street from NYCHA in Cobble Hill?

Old 05-26-2021, 10:01 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
How well do you know Cobble Hill? Do you know there's million dollar houses across the street from NYCHA in Cobble Hill?
Yeah, and the "woke" crowd doesn't like that. How "dare" those "rich" people have kids that want a good education. We have to make things "equal". That's what the progressives talk about endlessly... "Equality"... It's such a farce to think that you're going to have things like economic equality in a capitalist society. Hell, even in communist Cuba, you don't have equality. These people need to get real. If they hate capitalism so much, leave the country and move to a communist one and see how much equality they'll have.

Old 05-26-2021, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Ya know what? Good point, Red Hook is right there, but I don't know if I communicated this well; I'm not saying that, I'm saying that that is what parents in Cobble Hill may be saying (and they have in stores along Court St, Brooklyn Strategist etc...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City