Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2020, 08:40 PM

60 posts, read 56,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Fundamentalism of any religion is an issue.

I have a problem with you identifying with anti-gay, and yet there are people who identify as Muslims who are not anti-gay including at least some of these Bangladeshi leftists. I also strongly disagree with the idea that the Ottomans were “superior” to any European country until 1683, if you mean any as in all, which was centuries after the Islamic Golden Age as the Muslim world turned from scientific and mathematic advancement and the technical advancements that produces to ever more navel-gazing religious study.

Europe may have been a spread of very different and smaller countries in comparison, but well before the Battle of Vienna, scientific and technological advancement as well as the advancement of secular humanism even as a vague deism as well as movement towards other forms of political organization that weren’t as frail as the Ottoman Empire’s had already taken hold in multiple parts of Europe. What the battle did was lay bare and explicit that the Ottoman Empire was diminished in comparison as neither the hodgepodge of the Holy Roman Empire nor the Polish part of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth were in any way the most advanced polities of Europe. The neo-Ottomans seem like atavistic clowns to me.
Actually, in the 17th century the Ottoman Empire was witnessing a "scientific revolution". This included attempts to fly (one of which succeeded for 300 yards up in the sky), improved gunpowder, adding bayonets to their muskets and rifles, using superior rifles, etc. The defeat at Vienna was not because the Ottoman warriors were inferior soldiers...nor did the Grand Vizier who commanded the army a poor general. In fact, the siege of Vienna in 1683 was superior to that of 1529. The reasons behind the defeat at Vienna in 1683 was the greed of the Grand Vizier who did not want to take Vienna by storm, as he saw the city too beautiful to be looted and destroyed, and so he waited till the Viennese garrison would capitulate (something that never happened). Another important reason (probably the most important) was the treachery of the Crimean Khan who refused to intercept Sobieski's army, something that could have been done easily had the Khan ordered his Tatar horsemen to block the bridges or even had he destroyed these bridges. The treachery of the Crimean Khan caused great shock and turned the tables. Of the 138,000 troops used by the Ottomans, only 62,000 took part in the battle of Vienna...while 76,000 out of 90,000 Christian European troops took part in the battle. The story of the Europeans defeated the Ottomans despite being outnumbered 2:1 is just a myth. Of course there were other reasons for the loss, like the reluctance of the Wallachian voivode to bombard the walls of Vienna, along with the many thousands of Christian troops who were forced to join the Ottoman army in the siege. Ah well, it's a long story...but please note that as late as 1714, Chevalier Folard stated that the Ottoman soldiers would be the finest in Europe if they only used the bayonet (yes, they had abandoned the bayonet after using it because it impaired the accuracy of their riflemen...they did not use the socket-bayonet technique). Worthy to note was that Europe did not use the bayonet at the time of the Battle of Vienna.

Why would the neo-Ottomans seem like clowns to you?? They have reformed Turkey's economy, boosted its industrial production, allowed religious freedom and lifted many secular-imposed bans on certain clothing, etc. Erdogan maybe a dictator, but I rejoiced when the coup in July 2016 failed miserably. This a great step towards the downfall of the secular Kemalist institution...although Erdogan claims he's a defender of Ataturk. He's a weasel, and politics is a dirty game.

Yes, I'm anti-gay. Homosexuality, bisexuality, lesbianism, etc this LGBT stuff is really disgusting. I'm a strong believer in the way sex was meant to be. I also refuse to recognize a man having anal sex with a woman to be part of straight sex. Also more than one man with a woman or group sex between men and women is still not straight sex according to my standards. BTW, do you know that homosexuality was punishable by death in England until 1861? As late as 1954 there were more than a thousand men serving prison time in England for practicing homosexuality. That same-sex relationships have been tolerated later on does not mean that we have advanced in this field, rather we went backwards and we even may fall off the cliff. What's the point in a union between the penis and the anus anyway?? It's like licking a man's/ woman's nostrils from the inside with your tongue and claiming that you are French kissing in your own manner! Yeeekhkhkh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2020, 08:50 PM

PS: Of course the "scientific revolution" in the Ottoman Empire in the 17th century was no match for that which happened in Europe in the second half of the 17th century...but the effects of the superiority of the scientific revolution in Christian Europe was felt only in the 18th century. You may talk about the Renaissance (starting in the 14th century) and the discovery of the New World in the late 15th century as much as you want. But believe me despite these two great events, the Ottoman Empire was still wealthier and far more powerful than any European kingdom or empire. Before his death in 1640, Sultan Murad IV is said to have sworn to put all of Europe to his sword...however, that great warrior sultan died at the age of 28 after he had defeated the Safavid Empire and retaken Baghdad in 1638. As for the other Islamic empires in the 17th century, the Safavid and Mughal Empires were very rich indeed, but lacked the technology that was known in Western Europe at that time. However, I do not believe that any European country had the strength to subdue Nadir Shah in the 18th century, no matter what this Christian European power did in effort. That guy was just too strong to be conquered!!

Old 06-17-2020, 09:53 AM

34,134 posts, read 47,363,401 times
What does this have to do with NYC?

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-17-2020, 09:57 AM

37,238 posts, read 39,519,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
You're right.

Hi Randy! Message me and post in another forum, so I can go in on how myopic and just about completely wrong your posts are!

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 06-17-2020 at 10:51 AM..

Old 06-17-2020, 10:23 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,490,104 times
Quote:

I think its advocating islamic extremism in nyc.

Stay safe!

Old 06-17-2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
I think its advocating islamic extremism in nyc.

Stay safe!
Actually, I'm promoting correct education. Thank me later.

Old 06-17-2020, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
You're right.

Hi Randy! Message me and post in another forum, so I can go in on how myopic and just about completely wrong your posts are!
Nah! Enough for now.

Bye!

Old 06-17-2020, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Sorry, buddy! I was lured. I believe you can see that clearly in this thread. I repeat my apologies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City