Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 05:26 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,339,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Thought guy in video was of Scottish descent from Canada?

The female's Wikipedia page and she lists herself as "African American" IIRC.
I’m referring to myself and my SO in that paragraph. He’s Scandinavian. I think people on this forum forget that I’m a black female though I think I’ve mentioned it several times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 05:28 PM

32,009 posts, read 27,191,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
I’m referring to myself and my SO in that paragraph. He’s Scandinavian. I think people on this forum forget that I’m a black female though I think I’ve mentioned it several times.

OIC. Never mind.....

Old 06-11-2019, 05:37 PM

2,179 posts, read 1,878,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Bronfman's are the SEAGRAM'S fortune, so yes, they are rich.

He is adorable.
It’s funny a friend of mine worked at his (her dad) firm, the best was season tickets to the Yankees, we went every year she worked there. And yes, he’s sexy AF

Old 06-11-2019, 06:01 PM

195 posts, read 131,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshabrady View Post
It’s funny a friend of mine worked at his (her dad) firm, the best was season tickets to the Yankees, we went every year she worked there. And yes, he’s sexy AF
I don't find him particularly sexy, but I think he has a very good disposition.

Old 06-11-2019, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
You must be living in a different version of America than the rest of the population if you don’t think people look at mixed people and think black or at least “not white”. I say this being in a mixed race relationship knowing good and damn well that if we have kids, unless his Scandinavian genes somehow supersede my African genes and our kids come out blond and blue eyed without a hit of a tan, people in America will think of our children as black- maybe light skinned blacks, but not “mixed race” and certainly not white.

This is how they would be perceived by the general population of this country, not what they actually are or how we as the parents would think about them. In this country perception of race is a sad reality (race is a social construct anyway...) To drive home this point, one of my white friends opened up to me years ago about her black husband. This is before they had kids. She said she was afraid to have sons because of how black men are treated in this country. This was coming from the “horse’s” mouth of a privileged white woman who grew up wealthy in one of the wealthiest towns in the entire county. So...

Anyway, this is now getting on a tangent so back to the original point: nice condo but the lack of Windows is a no-go for me. I liked their other condo better.
My advice is to stop allowing other people to define you.

Also, I find it laughable that some believe "black is black," but whenever they are casting actors for slave movies, the movie producers and directors always choose darker skinned identifiable black people, unless they are intentionally depicting a "mixed race" person. Also, whenever they are featuring a story about inner city violence or poverty, it's usually identifiable black people who are used for those roles, rarely mixed race people.

People clearly know what a black person looks like, just as they know what an asian, white or "mixed race" person looks like.

Hannah Bronfman is clearly mixed race.

Last edited by LisaLisa2323; 06-11-2019 at 06:16 PM..

Old 06-11-2019, 06:26 PM

1,522 posts, read 1,823,120 times
tbh for a billionaire's daughter that apartment is pretty bad

Why not live at 423 Park?

Old 06-11-2019, 06:41 PM

32,009 posts, read 27,191,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr555 View Post

Young people with money, especially the trendy, techie or whatever Millennials all live downtown (below 34th street), if possible. Many tend to avoid the old money UES, Sutton and Beekman areas, especially those "white glove" co-ops.

Look at the maps; Mark Zuckerberg, Jeff Bezos, and others with more money than God all live in Chelsea, Flatiron, West Village, East Village, Greenwich Village, Meatpacking District, SoHo, Tribeca, etc...

Old 06-11-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaLisa2323 View Post
My advice is to stop allowing other people to define you.

Also, I find it laughable that some believe "black is black," but whenever they are casting actors for slave movies, the movie producers and directors always choose darker skinned identifiable black people, unless they are intentionally depicting a "mixed race" person. Also, whenever they are featuring a story about inner city violence or poverty, it's usually identifiable black people who are used for those roles, rarely mixed race people.

People clearly know what a black person looks like, just as they know what an asian, white or "mixed race" person looks like.

Hannah Bronfman is clearly mixed race.
You can not control how other people see you. How you define yourself is often irrelevant if people looking at you see you as something else or if they treat you as something else. A so called “mixed race person” is largely defined as black- yes still- despite efforts to be in a “post racial” society. Also, what is “clearly mixed”? There are many black Americans who are not mixed race who have light complexions. For that matter, there are many Africans who have light complexions (East Africans are the most obvious examples but so are South Africans, specifically the San/Bushmen, or West Africans like many Hausa).

Old 06-11-2019, 06:45 PM

Quote:

Because very wealthy smart people are not into putting their children into penthouses on park avenue. I'm sure her mother has a home on park avenue (due to the divorce settlement) but not her.

Usually, their children have to come with a viable business plan, and not just ask for a handout. The wealthy parents who give everything to their children set them up for failure, depression and drug addiction.

Old 06-11-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:

LOL! It’s like, all that family money and they can’t afford windows?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: