Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 09:49 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,486,112 times

Advertisements

6 Charts Showing Just How Screwed NYC's Middle Class Is: Gothamist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 10:49 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,089,772 times
middle income

Old 03-09-2014, 11:13 AM

34,100 posts, read 47,309,800 times
I don't care what class I'm in anymore. As long as I can afford to pay my bills and maintain my lifestyle.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-09-2014, 11:33 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,909,160 times
"Class" is a combination of income, education and wealth. The article only concerns income.

Income: I am a college student with no income, so I am low-income. My family is middle-income according that source (they're in the early $100k's)

Education: I'm a couple months away from a Bachelors degree so I will be "middle-class" since a bachelors is pretty much considered the unofficial middle class prereq nowadays.

Wealth: Have no idea, my parents own a home worth around $350k according to zillow but they still have 16 yrs left on the mortgage. They also have debt so i'm sure they have a fairly low net worth. They have few assets other than a 401k/IRA and their preowned cars.

Overall, i'd say i'm working class. Once I graduate and get a few years into my career then i'll be middle class and hopefully gradually moving upwards towards 'upper middle class'. My immediately family is middle class.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:05 PM

1,013 posts, read 910,548 times
yep we are screwed.
and everything in between

because we are in the middle...

Old 03-09-2014, 12:35 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,620,438 times
If you are living paycheck to paycheck then you are not middle class.

Old 03-09-2014, 01:25 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,486,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
If you are living paycheck to paycheck then you are not middle class.
I agree.

Old 03-09-2014, 01:32 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,557,730 times
Article misleading and who would move to Detroit now?

When you break down income statistics into categories, you'll realize the overwhelmingly majority of homes that break $100K are indeed family households with two incomes. $50K is middle class and $100K is upper middle or upper. Money marries money, and people marry others of similar social standing. That includes income. For example lets take some parts of Westchester. Avg household income is $200k+ while the average salary per individual is $100-150K which is typical of a senior position.

Govt. wants you to mingle and tax laws should be obvious. They don't care if you are single. When politicians and economists mention these numbers what they forget to say is that they are not talking about single households. Most people in the world actually do not live alone.

Anyways going by your brainwashed standards courtesy of economist theories DECADES old, middle class not screwed as you can live in Westchester with just $100K enough said. Low income housing being built in many rich affluent neighborhoods and multiple ways to reduce mortgage payments. Are salaries going down yes, but then again leads to above paragraph. Government wants you to shack up with somebody so get on it. This society was never structured in a way where the laws are more beneficial to loners. The govt. knows how expensive it is if you chose to live alone, and so, I agree with their response. You want to live alone and can not afford it, accept the responsibilities and consequences that come with it. Nobody is forcing anybody to incur needless expenses. If you value privacy over finances then yeah that's your problem. Society, in general, provides middle class plenty other alternatives.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:48 PM

130 posts, read 291,287 times
I was always taught you are born to a class. You may lose your wealth, or gain wealth but your class remains the same. that is to say poor white trash may become monied white trash but remains white trash. If poor white trash gains wealth, and maintains it in the family for a few generations and also becomes educated then by the 3rd or 4th generation they may become socially acceptable.

That isn't to say money wont gain you entre even if you are white trash.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:19 AM

3,475 posts, read 3,280,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whymeagain1 View Post
that is to say poor white trash may become monied white trash but remains white trash.
Upper White Trash
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: