Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 10:03 AM

2 posts, read 14,523 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have a sort of dilemma. I am currently a home owner in Staten Island, have 2 small kids. I grew up in Brooklyn and always wanted to live in the downtown area. Lately I've been drawn to Prospect Heights due to the proximity to Park Slope, Prospect Park and the surrounding areas. However, the surrounding areas also include very SHADY ones. Besides moving from a house to an apt, which is odd enough, I at least want to make sure my kids are safe. I know the area is up and coming and I would love to get some feedback as to just how potentially dangerous the area is. If it was just my husband and myself I'd drop everything and move. As it is, my kids come first.

Also please note that money is a factor. I found a few listings that are somewhat ok but if I look at anything closer to Park Slope it costs a fortune!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 10:53 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,671,307 times
There is NO problem with Prospect Heights, other than......

1) Housing prices. Pricey as heck!

2) Atlantic Yards construction....get to know which blocks are in the path of Ratner's bulldozer. Even if you aren't, be prepared for the construction, until at least 2010.

Otherwise, That is a great neiborhood! Wouldn't have said that 20 years ago, but that nabe is completely transformed! Used to love going to Tavern on Dean/Dean St Cafe!

Old 07-17-2007, 12:52 PM

2 posts, read 14,523 times
Thanks for the input Scatman. I love the neighborhood, but the eastern side around Washington Ave. is just beginning to change now. I guess that's the part I'm asking about.

Thanks again.

Old 07-17-2007, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aptseeker View Post
Thanks for the input Scatman. I love the neighborhood, but the eastern side around Washington Ave. is just beginning to change now. I guess that's the part I'm asking about.

Thanks again.
Both are fine. My fam was once on Sterling place, between Wash and Classon (in Brooklynese, it's Clawson, not Classon!). That was many moons ago (try 40). A much different nabe, now.

Old 07-17-2007, 02:34 PM

52 posts, read 217,817 times
There are some fortress-like condos going in east of Washington, but the area is still not great. Theft and gunplay are not unusual, and I would still say the quality of life issues are still apparent. By that I mean people still hang out in front of the bodegas drinking, public profanity, very loud car stereos and obnoxious teens doing nothing. It's changing, but the rate is slower than places west of Washington. Nostrand subway stop on the A/C is notorious with transit cops as being the "jump-off" station- it's the beginning of "being busy."

Not saying it may change for the better in a couple of years... if so, then you hit paydirt. If not, well, you can always rent it on section 8.

Old 07-17-2007, 02:45 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,797,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson99 View Post
There are some fortress-like condos going in east of Washington, but the area is still not great. Theft and gunplay are not unusual, and I would still say the quality of life issues are still apparent. By that I mean people still hang out in front of the bodegas drinking, public profanity, very loud car stereos and obnoxious teens doing nothing. It's changing, but the rate is slower than places west of Washington. Nostrand subway stop on the A/C is notorious with transit cops as being the "jump-off" station- it's the beginning of "being busy."

Not saying it may change for the better in a couple of years... if so, then you hit paydirt. If not, well, you can always rent it on section 8.
The area still does have it's problems. Best for a renter to check it out first.

I also heard the community hates that "Atlantic Yards" plan. Makes sense, they are destroying peoples homes afterall. I don't think it's the greatest idea, they are basically flinging even more people into a dense residential area. No services to keep up with that increase in population. Instant drop in the quality of life.

Old 07-17-2007, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson99 View Post

Sorry, but the gunplay, bodega, and loud stereo part is unbelievably wrong!

And Nostrand Avenue (A,C) is nowhere near Prospect Heights!

Old 07-17-2007, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
I agree.

I also heard the community hates that "Atlantic Yards" plan. Makes sense, they are destroying peoples homes afterall. I don't think it's the greatest idea, they are basically flinging even more people into a dense residential area. No services to keep up with that increase in population. Instant drop in the quality of life.
It is obvious you have not been to Prospect Heights recently!

Old 07-17-2007, 02:49 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,797,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
It is obvious you have not been to Prospect Heights recently!
The Atlantic Yards plan does not include schools, medical facilities, transportation. This area is already dense, now you are adding more people. This strains the local services. Lowering quality of life for all in the immidiate area.

Old 07-17-2007, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
The Atlantic Yards plan does not include schools, medical facilities, transportation. This area is already dense, now you are adding more people. This strains the local services. Lowering quality of life for all in the immidiate area.
First of all, that area is NOT that dense! I do agree that it will be with the Atlantic Yards (the traffic will be insane)! It seems your opinions of Prospect Heights were along the lines of your opinions of Harlem, Bed Stuy and much of the Bronx. But I stand corrected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City