Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2020, 08:26 AM

88,649 posts, read 84,928,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhogan10010 View Post
There is a professor at the university where i work in Manhattan, who has commuted from Delaware for years. He drives to Philly, and picks up the train there.
Earliest I used to do was 4:30, but that was temporary and intermittent for a specific project. I had to drive from the Jersey Shore area to LGA for i a.m. meetings, and if I didn't hit the tollbooths at the GWB before 7, I was sunk.

Most of the time it was the train to Manhattan though.

Now I hear the train coming through in the early morning hours from a couple of miles away, and I smile and roll over and go back to sleep.

Old 09-25-2020, 10:27 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,103,466 times
Had a friend who sold meat to restaurants all over the city. He moved to Bucks County, PA. Drove in every day then drove around to restaurants all day before driving home. Guy loved to drive. A life like that would drive me crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2020, 01:27 PM

360 posts, read 168,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Awful. I did Milford, Ct to the Bronx 3.5 years -hated it, 3.5 hours minimum/day round-trip.

Old Saybrook-GCT, with time between trains is close to 6 hours round-trip. Old Saybrook-New Haven alone is just over 1.5 hours round-trip.
I was not even sure how he did the Old Saybrook commute considering New Haven is the last stop on the Metro North. Maybe he drove to New Haven and parked or took another train.

Old 09-25-2020, 01:34 PM

6,692 posts, read 6,045,403 times
Personally, I'd go and come back if it doesn't work out. Back in 2012, I moved out to Brisbane, Australia after having been given permanent residency on a skilled visa but came back after one month. The scenery was fantastic and the people were great but I was extremely homesick up to the point of severe depression. Anyway, NYC was right here waiting for me, but overall, I'm glad that I had the experience! So go for it!

Old 09-25-2020, 05:45 PM

337 posts, read 357,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingofconn View Post
I was not even sure how he did the Old Saybrook commute considering New Haven is the last stop on the Metro North. Maybe he drove to New Haven and parked or took another train.
Shore Line East to New Haven, then transfer to Metro North. New Haven is the last stop for Metro North, but trackage continues eastward.

Old 11-01-2020, 07:26 PM

11 posts, read 7,531 times
Appreciate reading about all of these "extreme" commutes. Currently commuting from Southbury to midtown 4x/week after giving up my apartment and being fortunate enough to house sit in CT during the height of the pandemic.

1 HR+ drive to White Plains, +/- 45 mins to GCT. It's 2 hours door to door. The realy pity is how slow the train runs between Southeast station & NYC.

Not quite ready to move back, the rent reductions still don't make up for the new "norm" with respect to QOL... or lack there of.

Old 11-02-2020, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc996 View Post
Appreciate reading about all of these "extreme" commutes. Currently commuting from Southbury to midtown 4x/week after giving up my apartment and being fortunate enough to house sit in CT during the height of the pandemic.

1 HR+ drive to White Plains, +/- 45 mins to GCT. It's 2 hours door to door. The realy pity is how slow the train runs between Southeast station & NYC.

Not quite ready to move back, the rent reductions still don't make up for the new "norm" with respect to QOL... or lack there of.
Trains leaving White Plains run extremely fast. I've read that above White Plains, the Harlem line is another story due to the curvature of the ROW. The Cold Spring station which is parallel to the Southeast Metro North Station but along the Hudson Line appears to be able to get to Grand Central much faster than upper division (above North White Plains) Harlem line trains.

I keep reading stories about how a goal is to reactivate the Maybrook Railroad line to Danbury so that it connects to the Harlem Line allowing for a direct route to Grand Central from Connecticut, but even then it seems like it would be a long commute either way.

Old 11-02-2020, 06:43 PM

16,122 posts, read 6,878,176 times
Response: Opinion

I have been taking my car to a body shop for many years.
Owner lived 10 hours away. Worked the shop during the week
Spent the weekends in rural. Rinse and repeat until he retired.
God Bless him. He should live like a king and beyond a 100...................

Old 11-03-2020, 07:45 AM

Met a consultant at my job yesterday who was telling us how she commutes from Hudson, NY five days a week. That is further from the colleague who travels from Sheffield, MA distance-wise, but less impressive as Amtrak provides her a direct route to Penn Station.

With the Sheffield, MA colleague, they have to drive 45 min to the Wassaic Metro North station and then take that all the way into the city. This person amazes me because the timing has to be just right every day in order for it to work.

Metro North above Southeast, NY (Putnam County) is only one track. If they miss the train, then they may have to wait another hour or two for the next one. Forget it on days where there is inclement weather! I freak out just thinking about it!

You can see that commute here! https://tinyurl.com/y45hacbd

Old 11-06-2020, 05:14 AM

3,228 posts, read 1,610,959 times
I used to work with a consultant, who worked with us for several years.

He lived on the west coast of Canada, and he would fly in every week to NYC, work the week and fly back home for the weekend, all at his expense. I believe they paid him pretty well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City