Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2023, 06:53 PM

2,005 posts, read 1,626,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by armcc95 View Post
Hi My application is #84xx but I see the status was changed to "pending" and "application received" rather than "applied" and "lottery application received". There is also a button that says "show required documentation" which lists the documents I will have to provide if I am selected.
I also have preference for this particular apartment because I currently live within the same community board. I am also in the 60% AMI. I am wondering if I still have to wait for them to go through 8000+ applications to see if they get to mine or if my application "skips" towards the front since I have a preference. I guess I am unsure about how the preferences work. Trying not to get my hopes up, I know this process is a bit unpredictable. Just curious about what you all have seen regarding how this works.
Don’t give up hope, but don’t pack your bags either.

To break the process down a bit. Remember, there is a single set of log#s across the entire building for all unit sizes (studio, 1 bed, 2 bed, etc), and all AMI%.

Consider this hypothetical on AMI%. The hypothetical building has lottery units at 60% AMI, 100% AMI, 130% AMI. Your log# is 8000 exactly, and you are 60% AMI. The maximum number of log# ahead of yours is 7999. But, from the 7999 we can subtract all the log#s that only qualify at 100% and 130% from the maximum 7999 ahead of you. Why? Because they can’t take an 60% AMI unit away from you. Unfortunately, they don’t tell us which log#s match to which AMI. Also, out hypothetical building has Studio, 1 bed, 2 bed, and 3 bed units. Your household size only qualifies for Studio and 1 bed units, so we can subtract all of log#s that don’t qualify for a studio or 1 bed because their household size it too big to qualify. Why? Because these big households aren’t allowed to take studio and 1 bed units. Again, they don’t tell us which log#s match to what unit sizes. Anyhow, it’s a safe bet that the number of log# ahead of you is not 7999.

Also, plenty of people drop out of the process along the way for numerous reasons. Just one example, the whole paperwork process is discouraging. Again, they don’t tell us which log#s have failed to respond, have actually withdrawn, or were rejected and didn’t appeal. But the point again is the log#s ahead of you are unlikely to be the mathematical maximum.

BTW, if your paperwork is more than 120 days old you can be asked to submit up to date paperwork. This is a bit of a good sign.

About Community Board preference, yes if an application has CB preference it can jump ahead. For example if by excellent luck, your log# 8000 was the lowest log# with CB preference at 60% for your household size you would get contacted very early because that puts you upfront. However, again, they don’t report which are the lowest log# with CB preference so it hard to know how far ahead you might be unless your log# is very low to start with. Keep in mind, CB preference typically is for half the units, in any combination, once that allotment is filled the CB preference does not have any power for remaining log#s.

Keep entering lotteries while you are waiting. Don’t hesitate to enter any lottery where you have CB preference because it’s powerfully in your favor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2023, 07:12 AM

5 posts, read 3,630 times
I’m praying guys we all get good news they took a snapshot of mines back on 7/11/23 it’s been pending since! But I do believe we should hear something back! It’s two towers a north and south 5203 is a 56 story building! 5241 the other tower is 46 stories from my understanding there both connected all together since it open back in late 2021 they had 534 units total available I just think that overall it’s definitely going to be a process but once we get hit with the submit your documents which I’m pretty sure we all will then we’ll be good
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery