Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 06:26 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,466,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
You put yourself in harm's way every time you get into a vehicle. I'm sure the probability of being a victim is around the same as getting struck by lightning or winning the lottery.
Again, I love New Orleans. I had a condo in the FQ for years that I would visit every chance I got. But I sold it in 2013. I was on Esplanade at the very edge of the Quarter (a block or so from Sidney Torres, who I know, who is a total tool and will not do anything to help the city IMHO), in my bed at night when someone shot someone else in front of my building. When I woke up in the morning, the handyman was standing with the police as they examined the bullet holes. That was enough for me. We had a camera outside and clearly saw both shooter and victim on the video. As both were black, and it was thought to be drug related nothing happened and it barely made a ripple.

That was enough for me to sell and get the heck outta dodge. I just don't come back anymore. There are lots of places to spend your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 09:19 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,005,631 times
Quote:
What about white on white crime? There are a ton of meth heads in Livingston and St. Bernard, tons of rapists and child molesters too. Difference is no one calls it white on white crime because crimes are committed to the same race because of proximity and America is still a very segregated nation. New Orleans is the exception but is still segregated. My statement doesn't change depending on people's opinions, my statement is a matter of statistics.
If black on black crime is the problem, you should be fine walking down Franklin at midnight.
Why don't you go check those INTERRACIAL crime stats and get back with us. I see you conveniently left that out of your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I hope these guys recover quickly but to be honest, they were there for the Unitarian Universalist convention and that is an extreme left-wing organization. Hopefully now they will learn to respect the police and the work that they do vs always siding with BLM and urban radicals.
Ironic, ain't it?

But never fear, NOLA.com has already published an article blaming the crimes on discrimination, lack of tolerance, etc. That got a real-life LOL from me. It's never the vindictive criminals, is it? Well, unless...

Old 06-29-2017, 11:05 AM

16,513 posts, read 26,398,964 times
Quote:
I hope these guys recover quickly but to be honest, they were there for the Unitarian Universalist convention and that is an extreme left-wing organization. Hopefully now they will learn to respect the police and the work that they do vs always siding with BLM and urban radicals.
You are making assumptions about certain groups of people. I agree with much of what BLM represents and still have respect for police. I just think they need a huge reform.
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Again, I love New Orleans. I had a condo in the FQ for years that I would visit every chance I got. But I sold it in 2013. I was on Esplanade at the very edge of the Quarter (a block or so from Sidney Torres, who I know, who is a total tool and will not do anything to help the city IMHO), in my bed at night when someone shot someone else in front of my building. When I woke up in the morning, the handyman was standing with the police as they examined the bullet holes. That was enough for me. We had a camera outside and clearly saw both shooter and victim on the video. As both were black, and it was thought to be drug related nothing happened and it barely made a ripple.

That was enough for me to sell and get the heck outta dodge. I just don't come back anymore. There are lots of places to spend your time.
I can understand that. New Orleans is a polarizing city. The first month in my apartment 6 people were shot on my street adjacent to my apartment building. Murders don't always make a big slash in the news because they see common here. One in Abita Springs would though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Why don't you go check those INTERRACIAL crime stats and get back with us. I see you conveniently left that out of your post.

Ironic, ain't it?

But never fear, NOLA.com has already published an article blaming the crimes on discrimination, lack of tolerance, etc. That got a real-life LOL from me. It's never the vindictive criminals, is it? Well, unless...
You brought up black on black crime, not me. So if you have a point to prove, then you bring the sources. I'm well aware of black on white crime statistics and why they are what they are.
I don't know which article your referencing.

Old 06-29-2017, 11:56 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,694,100 times
Quote:
You put yourself in harm's way every time you get into a vehicle. I'm sure the probability of being a victim is around the same as getting struck by lightning or winning the lottery.

LOL....please.

There is a difference between bad luck and putting yourself in harm's way.

You say later on 6 people were shot on your block, so what you think is the norm isn't for most people.

Quote:
And it was 9pm at night, and they were walking back to their hotel. That's pretty bad for 9pm.

New Orleans is a very dangerous city. And not being as large as other major cities it sounds like your chances for trouble are greater if you're a tourist.

Old 06-29-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
LOL....please.

There is a difference between bad luck and putting yourself in harm's way.

You say later on 6 people were shot on your block, so what you think is the norm isn't for most people.
You still put yourself in harm's way every time you leave your home. Anything can happen anywhere at anytime. So is going to New Orleans for vacation considered putting yourself in harm's way? I thought that was reserved for people who go to North Korea or the Australian outback or north Nigeria. I know it's relative to one's experiences but I think relative to other places around the world, it's not a warzone.
I understand that I'm more accustomed to crime, which is why I understand why people choose not to live here and I advise people that if crime is your number one concern, then don't move here.

Old 06-29-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
You still put yourself in harm's way every time you leave your home. Anything can happen anywhere at anytime. So is going to New Orleans for vacation considered putting yourself in harm's way? I thought that was reserved for people who go to North Korea or the Australian outback or north Nigeria. I know it's relative to one's experiences but I think relative to other places around the world, it's not a warzone.
I understand that I'm more accustomed to crime, which is why I understand why people choose not to live here and I advise people that if crime is your number one concern, then don't move here.
This.

Most people will not willingly live in a high crime area. Crime is a major reason is why home values plummet, why schools go bad, why an area goes from being desirable to undesirable. Now granted, some people are alarmist and won't live ANYWHERE where there is the slightest hint of a problem. Sex offender lived on the block six years ago? Oh my gracious NO! Others understand that any urban area brings some crime with it. But why would one become "accustomed to crime" and just dismiss anyone with a more reasonable reaction? Maybe you should rethink this "normal" you live with. Because its not a sign of things being okay.

New Orleans, for me, a dyed in the wool urban dweller who has lived in cities all over the world, became too much. Why put yourself in a situation where there is shooting outside your comfy home? And, might I add, a home that was not cheap to live in. This beautiful city has crossed the line from an incredibly culturally rich one of a kind location to a chaotic and randomly dangerous zone. Its a city that relies on tourism to survive, so I am hopeful the powers that be think long and hard on some creative solutions to bring it back.

Old 06-29-2017, 12:53 PM

148 posts, read 103,437 times
Definately race related. They were targeted for being white.

Old 06-29-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18436572 View Post
Definately race related. They were targeted for being white.
They were targeted for being tourists. Who had money/phones.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:10 AM

136 posts, read 168,678 times
Quote:
They were targeted for being tourists. Who had money/phones.

Honestly, they could have been targeted for either or all of the above, we honestly don't know and the investigators are not making the information public. They very well could have been targeted solely because they were white, solely because they had money and phones, or both. My guess is that if there was hard evidence that they were targeted solely for being white they would have been charged with a hate crime as well. In reality often it's a combination, whereby there is an assumption in many minority communities that white folks all "have money" and that idea often lends itself to criminals who come from a community with that mindset targeting primarily white victims. It's not because of race, but rather the perception that they are a more fruitful/plentiful target because they are white.

Old 06-30-2017, 12:06 PM

Quote:
This.

Most people will not willingly live in a high crime area. Crime is a major reason is why home values plummet, why schools go bad, why an area goes from being desirable to undesirable. Now granted, some people are alarmist and won't live ANYWHERE where there is the slightest hint of a problem. Sex offender lived on the block six years ago? Oh my gracious NO! Others understand that any urban area brings some crime with it. But why would one become "accustomed to crime" and just dismiss anyone with a more reasonable reaction? Maybe you should rethink this "normal" you live with. Because its not a sign of things being okay.

New Orleans, for me, a dyed in the wool urban dweller who has lived in cities all over the world, became too much. Why put yourself in a situation where there is shooting outside your comfy home? And, might I add, a home that was not cheap to live in. This beautiful city has crossed the line from an incredibly culturally rich one of a kind location to a chaotic and randomly dangerous zone. Its a city that relies on tourism to survive, so I am hopeful the powers that be think long and hard on some creative solutions to bring it back.
Isn't living around crime a very normal thing around the world? Pretty much all of South America, Africa, and SE Asia, have countries with high crime rates. I always thought that living in safe areas was out of the norm for humans. I don't like crime but it doesn't freak me out. I've ran from shootings and stuff in BR growing up.

That's just your perspective on it. I put myself in that position because I still prefer what the city has to offer and it feels like home. Going to a place like Denver or Seattle or Dallas isn't what my heart desires. But I probably will move eventually, just to move around ya know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream34 View Post
Honestly, they could have been targeted for either or all of the above, we honestly don't know and the investigators are not making the information public. They very well could have been targeted solely because they were white, solely because they had money and phones, or both. My guess is that if there was hard evidence that they were targeted solely for being white they would have been charged with a hate crime as well. In reality often it's a combination, whereby there is an assumption in many minority communities that white folks all "have money" and that idea often lends itself to criminals who come from a community with that mindset targeting primarily white victims. It's not because of race, but rather the perception that they are a more fruitful/plentiful target because they are white.
This. Whites have a higher income statistically so it makes sense to try and rob them over blacks or Hispanics. Also it's extremely easy to spot tourists.
The way the one kid came back and looked at the man leads me to believe it was definitely not a hate crime, if it was then he would have intended on killing him instead of knocking him out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans