Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2007, 09:20 AM

3 posts, read 10,671 times

Advertisements

I'm a teacher working here on the Navajo Reservation in Crownpoint. My family and I love it here, but unfortunately uranium mining appears to be looming over the horizon: the future drilling site is truly a stone's throw from where we live in the Teacherage.

We are looking for a place with wildness in it, near some water. We prefer being far away from amenities an hour or two from a Walmart, restaurant, and movie theater isn't a bad thing. As a matter of fact, I had to deliver our second child in the car because of our distance from a hospital which suited my wife and I just fine. Both my sons are very young 6 months and three, so having some playmates would be nice.

We would like a place where we could grow a garden, see the mountains, and play near the water while staying here in New Mexico with affordable housing on a teacher's salary. We recently made a trip to Lake Abiquiu and absolutely loved the area. Our concerns are affordablility, crime, and environmental hazards. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 11:10 PM

476 posts, read 2,318,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Greywolf View Post
I'm a teacher working here on the Navajo Reservation in Crownpoint. My family and I love it here, but unfortunately uranium mining appears to be looming over the horizon: the future drilling site is truly a stone's throw from where we live in the Teacherage.

We are looking for a place with wildness in it, near some water. We prefer being far away from amenities an hour or two from a Walmart, restaurant, and movie theater isn't a bad thing. As a matter of fact, I had to deliver our second child in the car because of our distance from a hospital which suited my wife and I just fine. Both my sons are very young 6 months and three, so having some playmates would be nice.

We would like a place where we could grow a garden, see the mountains, and play near the water while staying here in New Mexico with affordable housing on a teacher's salary. We recently made a trip to Lake Abiquiu and absolutely loved the area. Our concerns are affordablility, crime, and environmental hazards. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Try up in Bayfield. I live in Farmington now but am moving to Bayfield, Colorado in a few years. It is just over the NM border. It has green rolling hills and lots of lakes in the area, including the largest lake in NM, is right by it. There are mountains in the area you can see. It has virtually no crime, excellent schools, housing is actually cheaper there than in Farmington. Good luck on your search!

Old 06-09-2007, 08:23 AM

I_LUVNM,

Thanks for the advice!
My wife and I absolutely love that area, but we're more interested in the North Central/North Western area of New Mexico. Bayfield is too far of a commute to New Mexico and my years of experience and education afford me quite a bit more of a teacher's salary for my family here in New Mexico. I checked into the housing up there and it seems a bit out of our price range as Bayfield seems to be a bedroom community of Durango.

Old 06-09-2007, 09:46 AM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,288,496 times
I was going to say try Logan, NM. It may be to far on the east side of the state for you though. I'm not sure about housing in the area but I know it is isolated. Plus they have a really nice lake (ute).
Good luck.

Old 06-09-2007, 10:53 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,612,339 times
Well Richard .....from what you like and ask then to me its either Tierra Amarilla or Chama in north central nm although Espanola wouldn't bother me but you may not like it. You have Heron and El Vado reservoirs for fishing and water recreation and secondly its pretty isolated up there in around the Sangre de Christo mountains.

Old 06-09-2007, 06:38 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,025,226 times
I was thinking Chama, too. That seems like it might be a cool area if you like isolated locations.

Old 06-09-2007, 07:10 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,404,425 times
You just described Clayton hehe. Just south of Colorado, great fishing at Clayton Lake State Park, all the hunting you could need and closest Walmart is an hour away. PM me and I can send you information if you want.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:49 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. The family and I are taking a trip up to Durango this coming Thursday so my eldest son can see Thomas the Engine. On our way back to Crownpoint we're planning on traveling through Pagosa Springs to Chama and camping in El Vado to check out the area.
I investigated Clayton on the web - it was intriguing, but seemed a little short on mountains. I'll tell you what I find out about Chama when I get back. Thanks again for all the posts.

Old 06-11-2007, 03:13 PM

3 posts, read 27,765 times
Village of Pecos
On the Pecos River, near Monastery Lake (no boats), about an hour from Santa Fe and/or Las Vegas, NM. Not terribly expensive real estate in the village, gets more expensive the higher in the mountains and closer to the river you get.

HTH

Old 06-12-2007, 04:16 AM

476 posts, read 2,318,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Greywolf View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. The family and I are taking a trip up to Durango this coming Thursday so my eldest son can see Thomas the Engine. On our way back to Crownpoint we're planning on traveling through Pagosa Springs to Chama and camping in El Vado to check out the area.
I investigated Clayton on the web - it was intriguing, but seemed a little short on mountains. I'll tell you what I find out about Chama when I get back. Thanks again for all the posts.
Richard, Pagosa Springs is a beautiful town. Pines and lakes. It is about an hour to the nearest Walmart in Durango, with all the entertainment you will ever need in Durango. Chama, although very beautiful scenery, keep in mind in winter it gets bitterly cold weather. It is not uncommon for Chama to be 10 to 20 degrees BELOW zero! Mostly at night, but still even the days are cold in winter. It also gets lots of snow. Chama would make a great second home place, in the summer. I know you want in NM for teaching though, so you might also look in the Cuba area. It has mountains and the town is almost all Native Americans like Crownpoint. The area up toward Tierra Amarillo is very pretty but very vast and unpopulated! Cuba is about 90 minutes to Albuquerque.

Last edited by I_LUVNM; 06-12-2007 at 04:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico