Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 08:34 PM

1 posts, read 3,028 times

Advertisements

I have two friends who are considering moving to the Tularosa area, but would consider Ruidoso. Would like to find them some info on the schools in those areas. One has a 9 yr old son who recently tested as "gifted" and the other friends have a pre-school age daughter who is reading at a 3rd grade level, no telling how high she will test. Do the school districts in these areas have decent programs for "accelerated" kids?

Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 11:43 PM

19 posts, read 41,511 times
Red face Ruidoso Schools

Hello everyone out there! I have scoured the forum for some first hand info on the schools in Ruidoso, but haven't been able to find anything thus far. My family and I love the area and are considering a possible relocation to Ruidoso in 2 years (after I finish nursing school). I'd really like to get some feedback from a local resident who has children in the schools. I'm primarily looking for quality of education, but also information regarding availability of extra-curricular activities, level of parent involvement, and any overly negative issues with the students (behavioral, drugs, gang activity, etc...). I understand that there is no Utopia out there, but we'd like to be realistically informed before we make any permanent moves. Thanks!

Old 08-13-2009, 06:52 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,919,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by repowell67 View Post
I understand that there is no Utopia out there, but we'd like to be realistically informed before we make any permanent moves. Thanks!
I can tell you something about the facilities, not about the quality of services. There is a spanking new middle school opening this semester. Not sure if it's actually ready for classes to begin, but it's close. Classes begin here on Monday (8/17). Elementary, secondary and high schools are relatively new structures - not more than 20 years old - and all four schools are set in nice surroundings. In fact the new middle school is almost secluded, un-viewable from either passing thoroughfare.

There has been a spate of articles in various news sources lately regarding "quality" of education in NM schools, including those in the Ruidoso school district. Googling on key words including "ruidoso" and "new mexico" should bring up references.

There is a branch of the Eastern NM Univ. here that also has a newly renovated facility that is quite impressive for the size of the community. The branch offers two year associate degrees and is hoping to expand to a 4-year degree at some point. The main campus is in Portales - about a 3 hour drive away. There is also a branch campus of New Mexico State Univ. in nearby Alamogordo - a one hour commute from Ruidoso. Their main campus is in Las Cruces - a two hour drive from Ruidoso.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:02 AM

Thanks for the info. It's a great start in our information search that we will be doing the next year or two before we make our final decision. We are not absolutely set on Ruidoso, but it's at the top of our list. We just know that we want to move someplace where the climate, environment, and outdoor oppportunities are better than what we have now (Houston, TX). Yes, we would be another transplanted Texan! We just feel so comfortable there. Any other parents out there with first hand knowledge, please chime in. Thanks again.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:53 AM

Here's an article in today's paper about the grand opening of the spanking new Middle School that serves the Ruidoso School District.

Middle school makes its debut - Ruidoso News

Old 08-15-2009, 10:32 PM

475 posts, read 1,267,965 times
There is a web site that ranks school districts. They use test scores, which are of course not the full story, but as a first approximation IMO provides some worthwhile insight. Ruidoso comes in 18 out of about 75 in New Mexico, which is not bad -- makes top quarter -- and a lot better than say Santa Fe.

New Mexico State Districts - NM School District Rankings

But you should remember that NM is a bottom dwelling state for education. So top quarter is not what it might be in another state. I hate to admit this -- but Rudoso probably benefits from having a lot of people from Texas.

Old 08-16-2009, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa Fe View Post
Ruidoso comes in 18 out of about 75 in New Mexico, which is not bad -- makes top quarter -- and a lot better than say Santa Fe.
I'm sorry that I can't cite the actual article but I did read recently that Ruidoso High School graduation rate is somewhere in the mid 70 percentile range, compared to state-wide graduation rate of 54 percent. Here is a web page for the school system, for those with an interest:

RUIDOSO SCHOOLS WEB SITE

And while I'm at it, I might as well post the web site for the local branch of:

Eastern New Mexico University

Old 08-16-2009, 09:13 PM

Thanks for all the info. If Ruidoso ends up being our destination of choice, then we may have to resign ourselves and our children to a lower standard when it comes to schools (we mainly want to make sure the schools are safe and not overcome with behavioral issues). We come from an area in Houston that is nationally recognized as one of the best communities/school districts for public education. That being said, there's some things more important than AP classes and National Merit scholars. It will be a tough decision for us, but we will keep informed as we get closer to making a decision as to where we will relocate. Again, if any of you out there actually have kids in the Ruidoso schools, your insight on the quality of the district would be much appreciated!

Jaxart-thanks for your local perspective. I've read many of your posts for the the area and you seem to have your hand on the pulse of the community.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:25 PM

475 posts, read 1,267,965 times
Default Standards are not standard

Quote:
Originally Posted by repowell67 View Post
Again, if any of you out there actually have kids in the Ruidoso schools, your insight on the quality of the district would be much appreciated!
I think you are on the right track trying to talk to parents. You should also consider visiting schools yourself and seeing for yourself. I say this because I think it is difficult for people from a good system to understand just how the low the standards can be.

Parents and people in the community may accept these standards as what they have always known -- but you coming in from a top system may not be able to accept them or want them for your children.

I said earlier that Ruidoso ranks higher than Santa Fe or Pojoaque Valley -- but that is a very low standard. If a child starts in the Pojoaque Valley Schools, it is only one in ten that the child will graduate 12 years later meeting minimum New Mexico standards for competence in math. The other nine out of ten either don't graduate or graduate despite math illiteracy.

Too me that looks like massive failure. Strange thing is -- plenty of parents say the schools are doing a good job. Last school board election -- it wasn't even an issue.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:22 PM

Thanks, Santa Fe, for your response. There's a certain quality of life we are looking for and the school district in Ruidoso is probably the only questionable factor we have yet to discover. But with 3 boys aged 8-12, it's a very important one. Next time we visit, we'll try to schedule a meeting with someone at the school district. Trouble is, most of the time we visit, it's during spring break, summer vacation, etc... when the district is shut down. Like I said before, I just want to make sure the schools are safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico