Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 07:46 PM

2 posts, read 7,415 times

Advertisements

Sorry everybody, you're right. I was thinking of New Mexican food (green chili and blue corn). I'm a week away from being in Ruidoso (and Cloudcroft), and I can't wait! I will definitely go to Si Senior's and probably The Green Chili Cafe. I will also do my best to hit Little Anita's in Alb. Thanks for the tips!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2007, 09:21 PM

47 posts, read 130,769 times
Hey Cap'n-just a little break from the scintillating culinary discussion....
Call it Mexican or call it New Mexican, it's all good! The chile pepper is the thing.

While you're in Alamogordo stop by Caliche's Frozen Custard Shop. For local flavor, have a hot fudge sundae topped with green chiles and some nuts.

You can get good Mexican food (Old or New) just about anywhere in Ruidoso or Alamogordo. The important thing to remember is this; whether you're dining haute cuisine or mom & pop you will always be asked one question after you order your meal, just answer 'green'.

Say goodnight Sparkey

Old 04-27-2007, 08:27 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,032,885 times
AMEN.

The correct answer is always "Green."

Old 04-29-2007, 05:35 PM

271 posts, read 1,126,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMRoadRunner View Post
It's like saying European food. Right. As if German and Italian food were the same.
German and Italian foods are different because they are different races, however German and Austrian foods are similar because both nations come from the same stock. Same thing happens with the food and South and North Korea. Native Americans and Northern Mexicans Indians are the same race with the same history and origins that were divided by the Gadsden purchase in 1848. How different can they be, other than their passports?

Old 05-01-2007, 06:48 PM

2 posts, read 7,852 times
Default Options for good food in ABQ

Ola, Captain,

Three options more or less near the airport, within a half-hour, at least. It isn't difficult to find chile in New Mexico - it's available on a burger at both McDonald's and Burger King, your challenge may be to find a restaurant that doesn't serve it! That said, for the "good stuff", try one of these:

1) Sadie's on 4th Street if you are feeling brave. My personal favorite, but it is pretty hot, maybe a bit too much for gringos.
2) El Pinto, also on 4th Street, further north and further away from the airport. 10500 4th St Nw, home of El Pinto Salsa. I think the food is mediocre, but you will get good green chile flavor without the spice, and the ambience is unique. (When a Republican president visits ABQ, I'm told that El Pinto caters Air Force I.)
3) Owl Cafe for all that is green chile. Hot enough, but tolerable. I recommend the green chile stew and/or the green chile burger - you haven't really had a burger until you have tried it. They also do a wicked order of green chile-cheese fries, heaven in a basket. http://www.diningnewmexico.com/owlcafe/ (broken link)

If you are unsure of your tolerance for such, order the chile on the side.

Enjoy!!

Mrs. M

Old 05-02-2007, 11:05 PM

801 posts, read 2,213,810 times
These messages are making me hungry! If I were you, I would check out Lucy's Mexicali Restaurant in Ruidoso. Lucy had a restaurant for many years in Carlsbad, then picked up and went to Ruidoso with her recipes. I've eaten there a few times the past year, and it was excellent every time. It's genuine New Mexican food!

Old 05-05-2007, 07:07 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,032,885 times
CAPTAIN BLY AND EVERYONE:

HAPPY CINCO DE MAYO!!!!

May all your margaritas be perfect ones!

Old 09-10-2007, 03:43 PM

35 posts, read 107,997 times
I hope you enjoy your visit for Cinco. Of as much interest as the difference between Mexican and NEW Mexican food is the fact that New Mexico was a part of the U.S. of A. when the event the that Mexico celebrates as their national holiday took place. New Mexico was annexed in about 1848 and the Battle of Puebla took place on May 5, 1862. New Mexico was Spanish for several centuries, but only Mexican for a couple of decades. In fact, New Mexico has been American a lot longer that it was a part of the Republic of Mexico.

Old 09-10-2007, 03:57 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,729,311 times
True, but ties to Mexico go back for centuries.

Old 09-10-2007, 04:11 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,887,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkey View Post
Hey Cap'n-just a little break from the scintillating culinary discussion....
Call it Mexican or call it New Mexican, it's all good! The chile pepper is the thing.

While you're in Alamogordo stop by Caliche's Frozen Custard Shop. For local flavor, have a hot fudge sundae topped with green chiles and some nuts.

You can get good Mexican food (Old or New) just about anywhere in Ruidoso or Alamogordo. The important thing to remember is this; whether you're dining haute cuisine or mom & pop you will always be asked one question after you order your meal, just answer 'green'.

Say goodnight Sparkey
LOL!!! Really?? Now I'm going to have to go by tomorrow and check that out!!!

These food arguments can go on forever.....Mexican, New Mexican and even (gasp!!!) Tex-Mex are present in all of New Mexico....and they all have common roots, whether anybody wants to admit it or not.....LOL!!! I'll probably get run out of town if I say that out loud, though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico