Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2022, 03:49 PM

11,085 posts, read 6,929,389 times

Advertisements

What about Colorado Springs? It's gotten expensive but what area hasn't? It's beautiful there and it has everything you're looking for.

Specifically Colorado City which is an area on the west side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2022, 04:22 PM

16,118 posts, read 10,794,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by startleu View Post
i'm a poet and musician, so i wished for a home with an active creative community.
i like to smoke weed, and have the occasional psychedelic adventure, so was hoping to be around other old folks who still like to get high and dance around a fire.
i really have to move, but the reports of choking smoke and decimated forests are heartbreaking.
I am an old folk but I don't recommend dancing around a fire here in New Mexico -- especially in 5% humidity and 55 mph wind during a 1200-year drought. The forests are mostly closed anyway. Yes, the wildfires are heartbreaking, and the smoke is no picnic either.

Have you considered Oregon or Washington State? They have forests and seashores.

Old 05-31-2022, 04:42 PM

23,369 posts, read 18,968,084 times
Quote:
i love it when people have opinions based on absolutely nothing.
people free-fly their exotic birds all over the country. are u aware of tube? then look it up. there is video after video of free-flight parrots, NOT in their natural habitats (although u don't really know what my birds natural habitat is, do you? we have huge flocks of parrots living wild here in brooklyn, my part of nyc. google "brooklyn parrots". did you know the common sparrow isn't native to north america at all?)
my bird's fine at temps above 68.
Based on absolutely nothing? OK, if you consider owning multiple exotic birds, including parrots for over 30 years nothing. Yes, I do know about this so-called "free flight" thing. However, the only place mine fly free is inside my house where I have more control over hazards they might encounter. Outdoors is simply irresponsible and inconsiderate of surrounding landowners IMHO.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-31-2022 at 04:59 PM..

Old 05-31-2022, 06:30 PM

5,721 posts, read 4,310,851 times
Quote:
i'm not an average new yorker.
i expect you're not an average person from NM either. in fact you sound more like the stereotypical NYC native: nasty, dismissive, stuck-up and unhelpful. maybe you should move here?
we do have way more imports than natives here these days, nobody here is any happier than u are about it. except the realtors and billionaires. they think they've died and gone to heaven.
wanna trade? i think you'd be very happy here.
thx!

I was responding to your arrogance in reply to another person. New Yorkers often don't recognize when they are being rude. Your original post comes across as impossibly picky. I can guarantee, in all seriousness, the place you seek is not in NM. All NM forests are fire prone tinderboxes, and many don't even qualify as a forest by eastern standards. I think north coastal CA is your best bet for old pot smoking hippies and forests.

Old 05-31-2022, 07:29 PM

5,053 posts, read 7,436,166 times
OP, have you ever visited New Mexico? You owe it to yourself to check it out personally. We don't know what preconceptions you might have that could be off the mark.

Santa Fe and Taos sound like they would suit you fine. Lots of kindred spirits there. But as you know the housing market has become very tight, and these places may not be "affordable", but then we don't know what you can afford. If you can afford Brooklyn, you may be able to afford Santa Fe or Taos.

Except in a few small towns, nobody in NM is "choking on smoke" from the fires this season. The national news makes it sound like the whole state is on fire. Not even close. On the few days when some smoke does reach the cities, it's very light, like incense. Not that it couldn't change. But hey, if you enjoy smoking then it won't bother you. I live in Albuquerque and have barely noticed it. A little haze sometimes.

Old 05-31-2022, 08:30 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,724,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
I was responding to your arrogance in reply to another person. New Yorkers often don't recognize when they are being rude. Your original post comes across as impossibly picky. I can guarantee, in all seriousness, the place you seek is not in NM. All NM forests are fire prone tinderboxes, and many don't even qualify as a forest by eastern standards. I think north coastal CA is your best bet for old pot smoking hippies and forests.
None of the interior western states fits. Almost the entire west is at high risk of wildfires, not to mention drought. That free-flying pet bird would soon end up as a snack for the many eagles, hawks, and other raptors, or shot by an angry neighbor. Not to mention mountain lions, bobcats, coyotes, foxes. The wish list is impossible, hence a unicorn.

School just ended for millions of trollkids. Hmm.

Old 05-31-2022, 08:55 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,110,164 times
Quote:
i planned to move to the arcata/eureka area of CA. when i retired, largely because of my love of the redwoods. now that i'm ready to go, i'm hearing that anyone who can move away from there is doing so because of the fires.
then i thought, ok, give up on redwoods, look like NM has a lower cost of living and i'll still escape the horrible, muggy summers of nyc and the rest of the east coast.
now i see the fire situation is pretty terrible there too.
please help!
i don't know where to go. not only am i unable to tolerate sticky muggy summers, but i can't afford to buy food in nyc anymore.
i was looking to live near a college, in a small house with a large garden space, near lots of forest trails to hike. i was hoping for old growth trees and mountains, but also sidewalks and a left-liberal political atmosphere.
i'm a poet and musician, so i wished for a home with an active creative community.
i like to smoke weed, and have the occasional psychedelic adventure, so was hoping to be around other old folks who still like to get high and dance around a fire.
i really have to move, but the reports of choking smoke and decimated forests are heartbreaking.
i don't mind cold winters, but i have a large parrot and was hoping for a warm enough climate that he could be outside more than 3 months out of the year, and enough open space that it would be safe to let him free fly sometimes without worrying that he'll get confused and lost
i know i can't have everything, and i'm willing to compromise, but still...do i really have to leave the country to get even some of what i need? as a single elder woman, it seems impossibly daunting to do that.
i don't know what to do. help!
Where did you hear, that Humboldt County residents are fleeing, because of fires, or the fire risk? We have several Humboldt residents here, and they've expressed no such thing. You should create a thread on the California forum to ask about this. I've been watching the fire situation in Humboldt the last few years. There was a fire a year or two ago in the mountains, not in the coastal area, but the local fire fighters extinguished it pretty efficiently. I've been considering Humboldt for retirement myself, for the redwoods, the university there, and the Native cultures in the area.

As for NM, I lived in Santa Fe for 20 years, until last year, and the only fire problem was from a fire set in the watershed to clear brush, that got out of control. If you're not planning to move to Taos or Mora, you should be ok.

All that said, though, the fact is, you can't outrun the effects of climate change. If it's not forest fires, it's prairie fires, or sea-level rise, or hurricanes, and so on. What you can do, when considering Humboldt County (redwood country), is study the fire risk reports for the towns you might be interested in moving to.

If you're considering Santa Fe, be aware, that unless you plan to buy, there are no rentals available hardly. Last year, there were only 2-3 casitas and single family homes, and none of them had any cooling system at all. The tight housing market is due in large part to Covid. Whether it's opening up now a bit, I don't know. There are some nice condo buildings in downtown and within walking distance of downtown, if you might be interested in buying something more affordable than a SFH. Were you planning to buy, in your retirement spot?

Lots of New Yorkers in Santa Fe, btw, retirees and working-age people, both.

P.S. If you're afraid of forest fires, spending some of your leisure time getting high while dancing around a fire is not a good idea. In fact, setting campfires or bonfires is probably prohibited in the places where you want to live. Think about it.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 05-31-2022 at 09:09 PM..

Old 05-31-2022, 10:52 PM

18,237 posts, read 25,897,364 times
I listen to 770 KKOB, Albuquerque's 50,000 watt am station, comes through at my house late at night. I heard a couple guys commenting about the Lincoln National Forest is flat shut down. It started on May 25th and will go to the end of July unless the order is rescinded earlier. Lincoln totals out at over 1,000,000 acres of forest stretching from maybe 15 miles east of Carrizozo to maybe 30 miles west of Carlsbad Caverns. The situation there is stay out or you will be ticketed, it's that simple. And I don't blame the authorities one bit.

Old 06-01-2022, 07:10 AM

5,721 posts, read 4,310,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
OP, have you ever visited New Mexico? You owe it to yourself to check it out personally. We don't know what preconceptions you might have that could be off the mark.

Santa Fe and Taos sound like they would suit you fine. Lots of kindred spirits there. But as you know the housing market has become very tight, and these places may not be "affordable", but then we don't know what you can afford. If you can afford Brooklyn, you may be able to afford Santa Fe or Taos.

Except in a few small towns, nobody in NM is "choking on smoke" from the fires this season. The national news makes it sound like the whole state is on fire. Not even close. On the few days when some smoke does reach the cities, it's very light, like incense. Not that it couldn't change. But hey, if you enjoy smoking then it won't bother you. I live in Albuquerque and have barely noticed it. A little haze sometimes.

I think there are fires on just about every single national forest in the state except the Lincoln, which is closed for that reason.

The housing market is tight and expensive BECAUSE of people from more expensive places driving up prices.

Old 06-01-2022, 10:46 AM

5,053 posts, read 7,436,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
I think there are fires on just about every single national forest in the state except the Lincoln, which is closed for that reason.

The housing market is tight and expensive BECAUSE of people from more expensive places driving up prices.
Right, but it doesn't mean we're choking on smoke, although you don't need to be close to a fire to have bad air quality. The worst I can remember in Albuquerque was June 2011, from a fire in Arizona. The wind funneled the smoke right into the city at ground level. We get fires every year and I don't know anyone moving away because of it. I can remember only a few days in the last 30 years when I decided to stay inside because of smoke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico