Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 08:38 AM

4,866 posts, read 4,806,048 times

Advertisements

Algiz, hope you enjoy your stay here. We always visit El Zocalo (the center used to be across the road, where the car side is) to gather materials to send to prospective visitors or to have on hand for actual visitors. Also, you're experiencing the wettest period we've experienced in 20 years here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2019, 08:46 AM

18,218 posts, read 25,861,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
a hotel could be a place to find some touristy info.

Good suggestion. I'm a low brow guy when it comes to moteling but most places like Motel 6, Days Inn, and Super 8 have a couple dozen fold out flyers of tourist destinations such as Carlsbad Caverns, White Sands National Monument, etc. Not ALL of them do but most of them do.

Old 05-10-2019, 10:37 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,383,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Good suggestion. I'm a low brow guy when it comes to moteling but most places like Motel 6, Days Inn, and Super 8 have a couple dozen fold out flyers of tourist destinations such as Carlsbad Caverns, White Sands National Monument, etc. Not ALL of them do but most of them do.
Thanks Double H.

Old 05-10-2019, 11:48 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
Algiz, hope you enjoy your stay here. We always visit El Zocalo (the center used to be across the road, where the car side is) to gather materials to send to prospective visitors or to have on hand for actual visitors. Also, you're experiencing the wettest period we've experienced in 20 years here.
Just a couple years ago was one of the driest winter seasons on record. Keep in mind that in NM it's not possible to predict the weather from year to year, it's random and highly variable. This is a wet year. Next year could be an equally wet year. The year after might be dry or a medium-level mix. The most you can say is that within a ten or twenty year block, you'll have a few very wet years (lot of snow), you'll have a few very dry years (zero snow), and you'll have some that are medium. The same can be said about temperatures - you'll see a handful of bitterly cold winters, you'll see a handful of mild winters, etc. As I mentioned before, Albuquerque has seen -30F in the winter: this happens once every three or four decades. My mom mentioned that a couple years ago it was -15F or something like that. Part of my mom's youth was raised in the mountains in northern NM, she remembers one time where it was -40F (Alaska temperatures).

Old 05-10-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Just a couple years ago was one of the driest winter seasons on record. Keep in mind that in NM it's not possible to predict the weather from year to year, it's random and highly variable. This is a wet year. Next year could be an equally wet year. The year after might be dry or a medium-level mix. The most you can say is that within a ten or twenty year block, you'll have a few very wet years (lot of snow), you'll have a few very dry years (zero snow), and you'll have some that are medium. The same can be said about temperatures - you'll see a handful of bitterly cold winters, you'll see a handful of mild winters, etc. As I mentioned before, Albuquerque has seen -30F in the winter: this happens once every three or four decades. My mom mentioned that a couple years ago it was -15F or something like that. Part of my mom's youth was raised in the mountains in northern NM, she remembers one time where it was -40F (Alaska temperatures).

We had a house in Angel Fire for many years. It got colder than -40 there a number times. Also, Angel Fire got 15-20 inches of snow yesterday (above 9,000 feet) and is expected to get 15-20 inches more by Monday. Our house was at 9,000 feet, and I'm glad we sold it a couple of years ago.

Old 05-11-2019, 01:02 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,477,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
As I mentioned before, Albuquerque has seen -30F in the winter: this happens once every three or four decades.
You've quoted your -30F a couple of times now, but this just isn't true. See https://wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?nmalbu for the actual historic NWS date for ABQ. The coldest temperature on record is -17F, recorded in 1965, over 50 years ago. And the climate has warmed up since then.

Old 05-12-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwjoyak View Post
You've quoted your -30F a couple of times now, but this just isn't true. See https://wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?nmalbu for the actual historic NWS date for ABQ. The coldest temperature on record is -17F, recorded in 1965, over 50 years ago. And the climate has warmed up since then.
We're going to have to investigate more deeply, because I'm darned sure there is an official record of -30 for Abq or vicinity. In fact just a few years ago my mom was telling me it was -15 or something like that. Just recently.

Old 05-15-2019, 05:40 PM

511 posts, read 625,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
Hahahahaha!!!! I'm back in the PNW now, and the day we got back it went from an unusually sunny and warm time to...rain! I believe it was Friday when I woke up and thought I was still in Washington, waking up to total low gray clouds and dreary rain much of the day. I then learned that it was unusually warm in Seattle, 85 degrees! Our temps and weather conditions were reversed, it seemed.

Yes, if this had been our first visit to NM in spring, we would have been awed with the greenery. Everything was green: the hills, the mountains, the sides of the roads, everything! What a sight it was. What we were most enamored with, however, were the skies.

I've never seen such dynamic beauty. I realized on this 4th trip now for us to NM that it is the sky that is the most magnificent for us. We prefer lush green foliage, so we're definitely having to work to fully appreciate the terrain, but the skies - now those are awe-inspiring. And the vast vistas, so far we can see, miles and miles and miles. We got back into our lush, green forest, and...ummm...we feel kinda...um, choked. Suffocating. Pushed down upon. So there you go. Beauty everywhere, and rain, well, we have now experienced ABQ in the rain, a first for us.

We saw a rainbow arc with both ends visible. I've only seen that once, maybe twice in my life. The skies were just utterly amazing, truly! On the Pacific coast, skies can be pretty, but they are rarely so dynamic or muliti-faceted. We loved the skies!

Old 05-16-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiz View Post
Hahahahaha!!!! I'm back in the PNW now, and the day we got back it went from an unusually sunny and warm time to...rain!... Our temps and weather conditions were reversed, it seemed.

Yes, if this had been our first visit to NM in spring, we would have been awed with the greenery. Everything was green:
This year the southwest experienced an unusually wet and prolonged winter. My mom said it snowed almost every week in Albuquerque (or at least often enough to feel like it was pretty constant), and even here in Nor-Cal we are still in the throes of winter (cool temps and rainy, overcast). Most winters are not like this.

Old 05-16-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiz View Post
We saw a rainbow arc with both ends visible. I've only seen that once, maybe twice in my life. The skies were just utterly amazing, truly! On the Pacific coast, skies can be pretty, but they are rarely so dynamic or muliti-faceted. We loved the skies!

If it's rainbows you want, we get plenty of them (many complete ones). We see a lot of doubles, including complete ones, a few triples (always partial), and we've seen one quadruple (although it was broken up). These mostly happen during our so-called monsoon season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico