Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 04:30 PM

1,796 posts, read 2,230,813 times

Advertisements

Always looking for a good road trip for me and the car, usually solo. Just got back from taking old NM 1 from Socorro to Truth or Consequences and it made me think of this.
Wondering what are some of the best drives you've all been on in NM. I've been on many, but always looking for a new adventure. Not so much for the towns and "things to do," but for just driving, listening to tunes (perhaps), scenery, reflection, etc. Even if i just stay in the car except for gas and lunch.
My top 5 NM favorites so far are (in no order):

***US 180...Reserve to Silver City
***US 64...Taos/Angel Fire/Eagle Nest
***US 550/NM 4...Bernalillo/Jemez/Bandalier NP/Los Alamos
***NM 53...Grants/El Morro/Zuni
***US 60...Socorro/Pie Town/Quemado
(***Honorable mention: Old Route 66 road from Laguna to Gallup, just because it's Route 66)

There's so many others, and others are no doubt "prettier," but these are the ones that take me away. And make me want to run out and buy a convertible.
What are yours? Always looking for a good day trip. If it's a good suggestion I'll probably end up doing it. Thanks all.....

Last edited by kpl1228; 02-10-2019 at 04:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 05:14 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
The Enchanted Circle Scenic Byway is a New Mexico Scenic Byway and National Forest Scenic Byway located in Northern New Mexico. It begins and ends in Taos, New Mexico.

Good General Descriptions and sites:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enchan...e_Scenic_Byway
https://enchantedcircle.org/
https://asthetrailturns.com/northern-new-mexico-loop/
http://dot.state.nm.us/content/dam/n...enic_Byway.pdf

Old 02-10-2019, 05:45 PM

4,863 posts, read 4,801,062 times
I'll add:

Continue on 38 north off of 64 in Eagle Nest and complete the enchanted circle back to Taos (stop at the remains of Elizabethtown, for a brief time during the gold rush it was the largest city in NM)
Through the canyon from Eagle Nest to Cimarron is also a good short drive, or take 434 south from Angel Fire south to Mora and over to 518 to Las Vegas. There are parts of 434 that make one wonder if two cars across will fit. Turn right on 518 in Mora instead of left to Las Vegas, and it's a great drive over the mountains to Penasco and 76 to Pojaque.

I've driven 60 from I-25 to Phoenix and a couple of times taken 12 to 180 to Alpine AZ, and both are great drives. Also driven 15 from Silver City the Gila ruins and would like to that again, naye making the loop with 35 to Mimbres.

Old 02-11-2019, 01:33 AM

2,070 posts, read 2,383,055 times
The Gila National Forest has some great drives and not many vehicles on the road:

- I-25 to Hwy 152 (near Caballo) to Silver City – goes through Hillsboro and a short stretch through the Black Range that is less than 20 miles long but has lots of hairpin turns and rugged beauty
- Hwy 15 from Silver City to Lake Roberts and Gila Cliff Dwellings
- Hwy 61 to Wall Lake (from Mimbres or Beaverhead) - very isolated
- Hwy 180 from Glenwood Springs to Reserve or to Mogollon (an old mining town with artsy galleries similar to Madrid) - the last few miles into Mogollon has parts where only one car fits on the road
- I-25 to Hwy 52 near Elephant Butte to Winston and then to Hwy 59 to Beaverhead Ranger Station area - gorgeous scenery but isolated
- Hwy 78 from Arizona into New Mexico and up to Glenwood Springs – the only drive in NM where I have seen a mountain lion crossing warning sign

A few others that come to mind:

- Alamogordo to Cloudcroft and Ruidoso
- High road to Taos – from Santa Fe thru Chimayo, Truchas, and Penasco
- Placitas back road to North Hwy 14 and on to Cedar Crest

I'm sure there are many other beautiful drives in northern New Mexico or in the Lincoln National Forest.

Last edited by ABQ2015; 02-11-2019 at 01:50 AM..

Old 02-11-2019, 02:29 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,277,004 times
Lake Valley From Nutt north to Hillsboro. One of my favorite drives anywhere. Usually go a little bit of the route ABQ mentioned and drive to Emory Pass in the Black Range before turning around.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:37 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,162,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
There's so many others, and others are no doubt "prettier," but these are the ones that take me away. And make me want to run out and buy a convertible.

Rather than a convertible, I'd opt for a sturdy all-around vehicle like a Range Rover or Jeep model that would greatly expand my opportunities for taking in scenic back country.

Old 02-11-2019, 11:42 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
Turquoise Trail is a very desirable road, and loved Madrid. Also, from Caballo Lake, through Hillsboro, over the Gila down to Mimbres, then up to the Gila Cliff Dwellings in this direction is a great drive.

Old 02-11-2019, 11:45 AM

2,070 posts, read 2,383,055 times
Oops. My references to "Glenwood Springs" should have been "Glenwood." But it was actually called "Glenwood Springs" when it was a stagecoach stop in the late 1800s and as a teenager in Silver City I would hear people call it that. So always have to remind myself it is "Glenwood" and not the name of the Colorado town.

Old 02-11-2019, 11:46 AM

1,796 posts, read 2,230,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
. Also, from Caballo Lake, through Hillsboro, over the Gila down to Mimbres, then up to the Gila Cliff Dwellings in this direction is a great drive.
Did this recently as well.....just missed making my cut! I like the winery at Hillsboro.....some nice friendly off-the-grid-type folks in that town, locals and transplants alike. A pleasant stop before heading west through the numerous switchbacks, or as much-needed r-and-r after going through them if heading east. One of these days I'll make that area a 3-day weekend.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:35 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,778,248 times
  • the drive to Chaco Canyon is nice
  • from Tierra Amarrilla to Tres piedras
  • from Peñasco to Tres Ritos
  • driving around the foothills of the Manzano mountains
And there's the forest roads, but you'll need a better vehicle for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico