Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 12:44 PM

356 posts, read 502,831 times

Advertisements

Friends in Texas and Arizona make it a point to shake out their shoes before putting them on in case a scorpion crawled in. Are they this abundant in New Mexico? What measures can you take to keep the little rascals out of the house, beyond making sure door seals and such are sound and tight? Guessing they prey on other insects, so keeping those out ought to help, too. I've only seen two in Oregon in a lifetime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 02:03 PM

16,070 posts, read 10,732,474 times
I live in a place where one might expect to see scorpions on a routine basis but in four years I've seen maybe 5 or 6 and all but one were dead. I don't watch for them but spray Home Defense about once or twice a year and that seems to be enough. I have a cat that might be killing them. I occasionally have centipedes but they are always dead if they get in the house. I have a goldfish pond so there are a lot of rocks and places for things to hide near the pond. I had one huge centipede out there about 7 inches long. He got away. Ants are my nemesis in the house on occasion.

Old 08-09-2017, 02:35 PM

4,861 posts, read 4,798,137 times
It's very hard to scorpion and centipede-proof your house because of their size so, as sungrins points out, the way is to stop them from getting close enough to your house to get in. Regular treatment has also helped us. We still get 2-3 scorpions in the house a year, the beige/tan ones 2-3 inches long.

Old 08-09-2017, 02:41 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,750,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Bill View Post
Friends in Texas and Arizona make it a point to shake out their shoes before putting them on in case a scorpion crawled in. Are they this abundant in New Mexico? What measures can you take to keep the little rascals out of the house, beyond making sure door seals and such are sound and tight? Guessing they prey on other insects, so keeping those out ought to help, too. I've only seen two in Oregon in a lifetime.
Learned to shake out my boots and shoes in the Army. Found all sorts of crap in my shoes and boots from my kids
and dogs. But found this Scorpion. Inside the house, on the carpet behind a recliner. I thought it
was dead... It was not:

IMG_0766_800wb by Ricardo, on Flickr.

Have killed two more Scorpions from the yard in New Mexico.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:18 PM

136 posts, read 141,422 times
They definitely exist here. I have seen them in both houses in Rio Rancho and ABQ.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:20 PM

136 posts, read 141,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Learned to shake out my boots and shoes in the Army. Found all sorts of crap in my shoes and boots from my kids
and dogs. But found this Scorpion. Inside the house, on the carpet behind a recliner. I thought it
was dead... It was not:

IMG_0766_800wb by Ricardo, on Flickr.

Have killed two more Scorpions from the yard in New Mexico.
Nice photo! I would have already killed it before I even thought about taking a photo.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:06 PM

887 posts, read 1,214,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbus View Post
Nice photo! I would have already killed it before I even thought about taking a photo.
Looks like he's soaking in a Raid bath.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:16 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,750,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by threecats407 View Post
Looks like he's soaking in a Raid bath.
It was something toxic... I didn't want the thing crawling around my recliner or getting on the dogs... I guess I could have just squashed it, but I wanted a decent photo.

By the way, this appears to be Black Widow season. Caught three in my yard in the past two weeks. In a crack in a block wall, on a outdoor garbage can, and bottom of a lawn chair...

Old 08-10-2017, 06:40 AM

356 posts, read 502,831 times
We have plenty of those here, too.

Old 08-10-2017, 12:31 PM

887 posts, read 1,214,790 times
Still like to see one. I have seen a bunch of rattlers and , in the fall, tarantulas, but no scorpion yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico