Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2006, 05:16 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,768,747 times

Advertisements

I was looking through a guide to NM, and there was a section about people finding Native American artifacts and the penalties for not leaving well enough alone.

Back in the 90's there were these brothers that lived next to a friend of mine in a duplex in N.E. Ohio...they were from Texas. A hobby for them was to go to New Mexico a couple times a year to an undisclosed location to look for Indian artifacts. They had some interesting stuff. Bead necklaces, various spearheads, other items that they named framed in cases but I can't recall what they were. I wouldn't know who or where these people are now. There was also a price guide book they had that put a monetary value on these items. It was about as thick as and like a coin pricebook.
I found it odd that they traded this stuff that is sacred to the indigenous tribes.

I wouldn't actively look for this stuff, I wouldn't know where to start.
If something is found, who do you tell so it'll fall into the right hands for historical preservation and not be paraded around as a commodity?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2006, 01:00 PM

30 posts, read 196,278 times
The easy thing to do is contact the State Historic Preservation Office. Generally located within a state admin office. They can then relay your information to the appropriate agency contact. When I find stuff in the desert that I think belongs there I will sometimes discreetly kick a little dirt over the top to shield it from plain sight.

Old 12-08-2006, 07:26 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,768,747 times
Along with GPS location. Technology science has its good side!

Old 02-01-2009, 06:24 AM

2,600 posts, read 2,323,806 times
This is an old thread, but I thought I'd post this link for people who may be curious about rock hunting, prospecting or finding objects.
NATHPO | National Association of Tribal Historic Preservation Officers
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmex View Post
I was looking through a guide to NM, and there was a section about people finding Native American artifacts and the penalties for not leaving well enough alone.

Back in the 90's there were these brothers that lived next to a friend of mine in a duplex in N.E. Ohio...they were from Texas. A hobby for them was to go to New Mexico a couple times a year to an undisclosed location to look for Indian artifacts. They had some interesting stuff. Bead necklaces, various spearheads, other items that they named framed in cases but I can't recall what they were. I wouldn't know who or where these people are now. There was also a price guide book they had that put a monetary value on these items. It was about as thick as and like a coin pricebook.
I found it odd that they traded this stuff that is sacred to the indigenous tribes.

I wouldn't actively look for this stuff, I wouldn't know where to start.
If something is found, who do you tell so it'll fall into the right hands for historical preservation and not be paraded around as a commodity?

Old 02-01-2009, 12:06 PM

215 posts, read 652,158 times
Default a few 'gems'

I haven't found any arrowheads, but I have found a few interesting things while walking my dogs. I found a chunk of turquoise, I'm not sure where it would be from originally. Apparently there isn't any indiginous (sp) to this area, so what I've been told it that it arrived by way of passing through? Sounds like a possibility, I'm sure Natives came through this area and possibly traded, etc. I'd like to know more about it though. Also, I found a ceramic marble - homemade - for the children that lived in Van Houten. I thought that was a pretty good treasure also. Here's a pic of each. Is stuff like this OK to keep? It was found on private land.
Attached Thumbnails
Finding Indian artifacts-turquoise-size.jpg   Finding Indian artifacts-marble.jpg  

Old 02-01-2009, 01:43 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,323,806 times
Default Knowing where you can go is important!

I wouldn't know if it is ok to keep or not. we go rock hunting on BLM and find druzy and milky quartz.
our trip to the cibola n.f., magdelena ranger district sure was a disappointment, land was sold, and it's not for public use any longer.
we ordered maps yesterday so when we go into forest lands, or what we presume to be BLM, there'll be no doubt when we check the maps. that's got to be one of the worst things a person can do is trespass on private lands. did you read the thread "how to find arrowheads"? I posted a link there where a couple found an artifact, and as it ended up, they knew the owner of the land they trespassed upon. they were lucky, but I also know someone who was recently nailed for removing artifacts and trespassing too. I'm going to eventually find out how much the fines were, and/or how much prison time might be assessed. interesting indeed. here's a link of the place I bought maps at. if you're going to be poking around, at least be sure you're on BLM or national lands. I can't tell you what you can keep and what you can't. as I understand it, nothing if an artifact can be removed from state or federal lands.

Buy BLM and Forest Service Maps at the PLIC Map Center
Your Quote: "If something is found, who do you tell so it'll fall into the right hands for historical preservation and not be paraded around as a commodity?"
It depends upon where you've found it. if on national land, such as a forest, notify the ranger district office for that forest. http://www.fs.fed.us/

if found on BLM, contact the BLM Agency for that quadrant. http://www.blm.gov/nm/st/en/info/directory.html

if found on state land, notify the state historical offices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeful transplant View Post
I haven't found any arrowheads, but I have found a few interesting things while walking my dogs. I found a chunk of turquoise, I'm not sure where it would be from originally. Apparently there isn't any indiginous (sp) to this area, so what I've been told it that it arrived by way of passing through? Sounds like a possibility, I'm sure Natives came through this area and possibly traded, etc. I'd like to know more about it though. Also, I found a ceramic marble - homemade - for the children that lived in Van Houten. I thought that was a pretty good treasure also. Here's a pic of each. Is stuff like this OK to keep? It was found on private land.

Last edited by highdesertmutz; 02-01-2009 at 01:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico