Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 08:37 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,887,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Alpine was on CNN for the best place to live in the USA. I guess it was based on salary and real estate value.
It wasn't best place to live, it was highest median housing unit price or something like that. The salary figure was not exceptional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 10:03 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,798,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABruce View Post
The average home in Alpine costs 4.3 million dollars and all homes are on 4 acre lots, unless you have an older pre 4 acre zoning home (there are not many). Alpine is very exclusive and the homes are very large and beautiful overall. Even the smaller homes go for big bucks because of the Alpine address. There is really no street crime in Alpine, strange cars are looked upon with suspicion. The street gangs there are the ones driving Last Years Mercedes. I don't live there, but I live close by.
Why is it so expensive there? Whats so special about Alpine?

Old 09-07-2009, 10:04 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,798,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradstudent77 View Post
It wasn't best place to live, it was highest median housing unit price or something like that. The salary figure was not exceptional.
Thats right.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Why is it so expensive there? Whats so special about Alpine?
There's nothing really special about it, compared to the other wealthy suburban NYC towns except that it doesn't have many low-end houses existing or available in it. That's the big difference between it and the 15-20 other places in the suburban part of the NYC metro that are in the same ballpark. (Of course, the suburban wealth pales in comparison to the Manhattan 5th ave. industrialist elite that runs the nation)

Beyond that, among other things,

1) taxes are relatively low [like, half of what'd you regularly expect] for suburban NYC (NJ, Westchester/CT, or LI)
2) zoning prohibits lower-cost housing from ever being built. I'd say Alpine is more hardcore about this than other similar towns
3) the town has a small housing stock and there is no land which can be opened up to new development (except for two golf courses and a state protected forest).

If you want to take a look at the houses available and the prices they list for, go weichert.com/nj
Pick BERGEN county, then select Alpine from the list.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:16 PM

594 posts, read 1,199,496 times
I live in Alpine, and the town is very expensive and nice area. Just across NYC.
It's #1 most expensive zip code in the U.S.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:32 AM

8 posts, read 45,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmBch View Post
It's 2 acres in some zones. I did a project for a real estate development class on Alpine and that is the code.
Sorry, my mistake. I thought it was 4 acres. Everybody's property just seems to be so large there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradstudent77 View Post
I live in Alpine, and the town is very expensive and nice area. Just across NYC.
It's #1 most expensive zip code in the U.S.
And don't forget. Alpine is the home of the first FM radio transmission site!
W2XMN went on the air in 1936 from the 400 foot Alpine radio tower which is still there and operating.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:50 PM

^Whoa, now. That last embedded quote is misattributed. PlmBch wrote that part about "very expensive, nice area, etc.".

Old 09-10-2009, 10:27 PM

1,289 posts, read 6,096,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABruce View Post
Sorry, my mistake. I thought it was 4 acres. Everybody's property just seems to be so large there.

And don't forget. Alpine is the home of the first FM radio transmission site!
W2XMN went on the air in 1936 from the 400 foot Alpine radio tower which is still there and operating.
That tower is just huge. Further proof that people just want to live in this area because some of the houses have this in their backyard!

Old 09-11-2009, 11:16 AM

3 posts, read 8,286 times
I did some real estate speculation in Alpine. Very nice and very expensive. There are a few homes left around there that are smaller and dont "fit in" to the current town but they have been there for a very long time. The families were smrt to hang on to them and pass them down because even a tiny lot is worth big bucks.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:31 PM

6 posts, read 13,257 times
Does anyone know wich day of the week they collect the garbage ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey