Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2009, 08:28 AM

15 posts, read 146,615 times

Advertisements

I am choosing a community to move to (from Canada) in Bergen or Essex Counties - my husband will be commuting to NY.
Is taking the train far superior to taking the bus? (Most communities are not on the Montclair-Boonton train line the only direct train as far as I can see).

Is changing trains in Newark a huge hassle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 08:40 AM

1,552 posts, read 4,634,376 times
Most people prefer taking the train because you eliminate the "traffic delay" variable (although train delays are not infrequent) and I think it's just generally a more pleasant ride.

Changing trains in Newark (or Secaucus) is not a hassle for most people I know who have a transfer, provided you work generally normal hours and are not coming home very late, when connections may be less frequent.

Another variable is exactly where in NYC your husband will be working: the bus terminal is on the west side around 42nd St., the train station from NJ in NYC is on 34th St. a few blocks east, and of course, changing from the train in Newark to the PATH system can bring you to the World Trade Center closer to Wall St. So that factors into it as well.

You should consider suburban NY (West Chester county) and Connecticut as well, since the MetroNorth train system that services these areas comes into Grand Central Station on the east side in Manhattan, which may be more convenient for your husband's commute.

Good luck.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:29 AM

15 posts, read 146,615 times
Thanks - My husband is working at 11th & 26th so I thought originally Pen Station would be best. I haven't looked into the PATH at all. I'll check that.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:32 AM

1,552 posts, read 4,634,376 times
PATH has a station at 23rd St. and 6th Ave. Probably about the same distance as NY Penn Station.

But it's something to keep in mind, if he's going to do the transfer at Newark (or Hoboken) he can hop on the PATH. At the very least, it will increase his connecting options.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:32 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
The other issue is parking at the train station if you don't live close enough to walk. There's frequently a wait of several years for a permit.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:34 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,119,535 times
It's all a matter of personal preference. I would hate changing trains so we looked for a house close to the bus. I want to get on and stay on even if it takes longer. I like to read so I don't feel my time is wasted anyway. Whichever you choose, if you find a place in walking distance it will be a lot more convenient for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey