Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 10:40 PM

1 posts, read 15,336 times

Advertisements

...before I moved here, I read quite a few posts just like these. It seems everyone hates it here in Bridgeton. But you know what? Everywhere else I have lived in this state has had the very same problem. Everyone hates it in the town they currently live in, it seems. As a matter of fact, it sounds like most people who live in NJ hate it here until someone from another state ruffles their feathers. Then they suddenly love it and would defend it with their lives. (Even I could be accused of that in my younger days, but I know better now. :P)

Anyway, I have been here for just a little over a month now. At first I was apprehensive because I had heard all of these bad things about Bridgeton. In truth, I wanted to live in Millville... but the houses were a bit more expensive. I was worried about the crime rate here - still am. But get an alarm system. As far as convenience and people I have seen out and about... sure, there are some leery folk. There will be anywhere you go. But I have not yet been met with hostility of any kind. And store hours? The local Acme and Shop Rite (in Upper Deerfield, technically) are open until midnight and 1 am, respectively. That's a hell of a lot more convenient than north Jersey, where everything dies at 6 pm. Granted, I know nothing of real night life. I don't go out and "club" or what have you. If that's your thing, then I guess you shouldn't move to an area like this because it is rural. (Even though it's called the "City" of Bridgeton. Hmm.) But if you like the outdoors, there are certainly things to do. Sunset Lake and Thundergust are nearby, as well as the Wetland management areas near Mauricetown.

There are a lot of things conveniently located locally - as aforementioned there is the Shop Rite, Acme and also an IGA nearby. There is a Wawa, 7-11, Dunkin Donuts, Wendy's, Burger King, etc.. all close by. Now again for me, in Warren County where I recently lived, it was a long haul to get anywhere. So this was a nice change for me in that respect.

The only other thing besides crime that bothers me here is the lack of work. As I said, I've been here just over a month and have found nothing "local". All the decent jobs have been no less than 40 minutes away.

I do think that for people who aren't used to South Jersey life may be a little rattled here. I grew up by LBI so I know what to expect.

The person who posted before me made a good point, too - come down and take a look around, do some peoplewatching. We sat in a local eatery and took it in for a little while before we moved in. There are some places right in town that we looked at and didn't care for the area, haha.. so we just went elsewhere. That's the way it goes... I guess ultimately you won't know if you like it until you're here. All we can do is tell you what we think. And I'm sure by this point you see that I don't necessarily agree with 95% of the people posting on this thread.

Whatever you do, may you be happy with your decision - and good luck with the move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 06:18 AM

7 posts, read 35,073 times
Bridgeton is probably the worst area in S.Jersey to live. Very high crime rate and many illigals driving in that town with no drivers licenses or insurance. Good jobs are few and far between. There are some nice areas outside the City of Bridgeton such as Cedarville, Fairton, Centerton & Elmer just to mention a few but I would not recommend Bridgeton to anyone especially if they have children that will be attending the schools there.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:12 PM

1 posts, read 15,249 times
Default bridgeton is not that bad

I would disagree that Bridgeton is the worst place in South Jersey to live, because I think that Salem is worse. And saying that Fairton is a better place than Bridgeton must be a joke. IMO all of Cumberland County is basically the same - no matter what the residents of certain townships think. Some of the elementary schools may be better than Bridgeton's elementary schools, but all of the public high schools - Bridgeton, Cumberland Regional (my alma mater), Millville, and Vineland - are very similar.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:43 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,363,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuggles View Post
My husband and I just signed contracts to buy a home in Bridgeton.
We do see that all of NJ has pretty high pollution but well,,,,Colorado is another option we have thought about(if we want to get cleaner air. And we do but why are we so attracted to Newjersey?? Maybe because I have always lived in southjersey and had fun (mostly in the woods) you have to have imagination to live here well...anyway, we may be Bridgeton residents. We hope to help the community. High crime rates are an issue.
We will be getting a dog and we will have an alarm system on the house.
What do yas think? Are we crazy?
I think I would run. I could not live somewhere where I need to look behind my back every minute. There are woods everywhere. If you like south Jersey, there are towns there that are not scary. What about Little Egg Harbor. I have friends there and they like it.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:54 AM

1 posts, read 15,119 times
Thumbs down not that bad

you guys are talking like its camden i live in upperdeerfield right outside of bridgeton and its really nice actually. you canstep outside w/o being shot unlike other places. and stores dont close at 2

Old 06-09-2008, 06:42 AM

2 posts, read 18,215 times
Default i guess bridgeton is still bad

I moved from Bridgeton in 1974 to beautiful and SAFE West Virginia. Bridgeton was bad then, I felt safer walking in an alley to my friends house to catch a ride to Pearl St School to catch my bus to Buchshutem Rode School than I did walking up the street. At the time I lived on North Laurel across from a grocery store. I wasn't allowed to even sit on my porch at night or even in the daytime with my parents in the living room. So I can imagine what it's like now, 34 years later. That is one of the reasons we moved, my father and I were both born in Bridgeton and my mother was a transplant from WV. I felt much safer once we moved and I'm glad I have raised my children down here. I'm not ashamed to say I'm from NJ but I wouldn't want to live there. Bridgeton has one thing I miss and that is the subs, we can't get them down here. I would drive there for one but I wouldn't stay.

Old 11-16-2008, 03:25 PM

11 posts, read 57,821 times
There are many nice townships outside of Bridgeton, but Bridgeton is not the place to be. Neither is AC, Vineland, or Millville. Upper Deerfield is very nice, and so are parts of Gloucester County to the north. Closer to civilization. Perhaps costlier but not as trashy.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:46 PM

1 posts, read 13,599 times
If you have not lived here for a good time of it..I say keep your comments to yourself. Just as any other town Bridgeton has it's bad as well as it's good. I have been a resident since the age of 8- I'm now 34. And I'm still safe and alive- so people stop acting as if Bridgeton is the next Compton. It is none of the sort- AND I LIVE on the South Side...which is known for most of the crime!! So please...stop telling lies to those who look to relocate to Bridgeton.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:00 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,883,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warmweatherwoman View Post
If you have not lived here for a good time of it..I say keep your comments to yourself. Just as any other town Bridgeton has it's bad as well as it's good. I have been a resident since the age of 8- I'm now 34. And I'm still safe and alive- so people stop acting as if Bridgeton is the next Compton. It is none of the sort- AND I LIVE on the South Side...which is known for most of the crime!! So please...stop telling lies to those who look to relocate to Bridgeton.
The thing is, people like to complaing and they're determined to not do anything.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:14 AM

1 posts, read 13,584 times
ok fokes, here it is from someone how's 39 years old and has known bridgeton NJ, from the age of 3..and this is keeping it real and as short as i can, in my early years i lived in a family home on south avenue, back then bridgeton was a very nice place to live and grow up, everything was better than now, nothing and i repeat nothing is the same,streets that use to be nice are now over taken by bloods or crips... bridgeton has really changed, i live in Philadelphia now but i still have family living in our family home on the ave. that we are more than likely going to dish off to someone else... fokes please believe me when i say you don't want to live in bridgeton or anywhere around it... maybe Vineland but after 2-3 years it will play itself out....i fought for years trying to get away from bridgeton, now Im gone and never looking back....be for moving here try finding out how the murder rate has changed over the last 15 years.... if you still want to move there, then in my opp. your out of your mind... bridgeton is not worth wasting your time on.. keep in mind that you should be buying homes in towns or cities that are growing not ones that have been and gone and never to return, Bridgeton is one of those towns...nothing is the same anymore check for your self..mexican gangs, bloods and crips on every corner almost...if you really need more then go there and pull into a gas station and pay$ someone anyone$20 to give you the facts about bridgeton....o yeah and if your from the city your wife will leave you and head back to the city if you come here, she will be bored out of her mind...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey