Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2021, 07:50 AM

27 posts, read 17,576 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I created a thread the other day on where to live in West Jersey with an ok commute to NYC, ie Gladstone, etc. We’re a family of 5 looking for a friendly community, pretty area with good schools. Near water would be ideal but not a deal breaker. We haven’t looked into NY State yet, somewhere near the Hudson. One of the reasons being the taxes are insane. The traffic is always nutty too since it’s such a narrow/small part of NY.

There might be a chance we don’t have to live near NYC. We thought about Durham NC because of the mild weather, in/near a small city and being near an international airport. I know nothing about NC.

Just wondering since most people on here obviously know lots about NJ... Is NC or anywhere else a major adjustment? Nashville also popped in our heads. Denver, CO but the time difference might be too much.

West NJ seems lovely, though. Our next home could be our forever home, or our home for the next 15 years at least. We’d like to weigh all our options.

Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2021, 08:02 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
i think you would be doing your kids and future generations a favor by staying out of NJ/NYC area and probably other major metroplitan areas that are more in decline while still being overpriced.

Old 03-17-2021, 08:34 AM

280 posts, read 339,499 times
The Somerset Hills area is beautiful and a great place to raise a family. Wouldn't consider it "West Jersey" so I was confused at first.

Old 03-17-2021, 08:48 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,605,988 times
RDU, Charlotte, Nashville are all amazing [Sothern] Cities. I've never lived in any of theses cities personally, but have spent a large amount of time in TN (BNA, Chattanooga, Memphis) and the Carolinas for work. City centers are undoubtedly metropolitan, but make no mistake, as still southern. BNA isn't all that affordable anymore, although coming from NYC it is. Note that TN has no state income taxes (except cap gains, I believe), so that's a huge benefit.

Please dont take this the wrong way, but based on your posts - yes, I believe any of the cities you mentioned (aside from may be Denver) would be a major adjustment culturally.

Old 03-17-2021, 09:47 AM

332 posts, read 174,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i think you would be doing your kids and future generations a favor by staying out of NJ/NYC area and probably other major metroplitan areas that are more in decline while still being overpriced.
prices are not declining in NJ. not sure what county you are in but house prices are at an all time high in many places.

Old 03-17-2021, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytodd View Post
prices are not declining in NJ. not sure what county you are in but house prices are at an all time high in many places.
i didnt say that prices were declining.

Old 03-17-2021, 10:13 AM

Quote:
i didnt say that prices were declining.
you said overpriced. that is not true. the market dictates prices. poor logic

Old 03-17-2021, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytodd View Post
you said overpriced. that is not true. the market dictates prices. poor logic
so i said overpriced and somehow you read that as me saying prices are declining?

yes, the market dictates price. but each individual decides whether or not it is priced right for themselves. for many people, NJ costs more than the benefits of living here.

Old 03-17-2021, 10:22 AM

Quote:
so i said overpriced and somehow you read that as me saying prices are declining?

yes, the market dictates price. but each individual decides whether or not it is priced right for themselves. for many people, NJ costs more than the benefits of living here.
the costs are relative. you seem to not understand real estate.

Old 03-17-2021, 10:50 AM

34 posts, read 39,034 times
As someone who: grew up in Somerset County, currently lives in Hoboken but is staying in Princeton for a bit, and who would summer every year in North Carolina, keep looking in Somerset. Personally, I always have found Northern Somerset County nicer than Princeton. Much more nature available/beautiful gardens everywhere, much more privacy, and an easier commute into NY while still being slightly secluded. Nassau Street is however more developed with much more things to than any of the main streets in Somerset Hills.

North Carolina is a beautiful state, but the attitudes of people, the K-12 options, the diversity, the food options, and the things to do are limited. For your wants, Asheville and Wilmington should be looked with Durham.

Towns in Somerset I would say fit what you're looking for: Gladstone, Peapack, Bernardsville, Far Hills, Basking Ridge, and a southern option is Rocky Hill, which goes to Montgomery schools, and is right next to Princeton. However it shouldn't be an option if you're looking into commuting into NY everyday because it has no train station. If trains do not matter, you have a bunch of options further into Somerset and Hunterdon. Also look into Southern Morris County for similar towns. For the towns in Somerset that do not have main streets, Somerville basically functions as a downtown area.

If you don't have a car, I'd recommend making a day trip of the area when it gets nicer out. Walk the main streets, talk to people, visit Duke Farms or Leonard. J Buck, and have a picnic.

The only issue I can foresee is housing inventory is so low, and prices are very high because everyone is making the same move that you are. Feel free to ask anymore questions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey