Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2016, 07:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,523 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Could you guys please weigh in on the neighborhood that we would find ourselves in if we were to live around 260 Somerset Street in New Brunswick and what your recommendations would be (look for a place elsewhere, we'll be fine if we're careful, avoid so and so places, etc). I am not familiar at all with New Brunswick, NJ but my roommate and I will be moving to NJ and starting grad school there this upcoming fall.

I have a car but my roommate does not and so my roommate will have to either walk or bike to Rutgers Shuttle Bus stops nearby (12-15 minutes away by foot). My roommate is very insistent on us being within walking distance to campus as she does not have a car and will not be able to buy one this first year.

We found a decent looking place at a very affordable price. We met the former female tenants who lived there and claimed they've never had any issues apart from drunk people and homeless people (which frightens me tbh).

I am freaking out after hearing and reading that New Brunswick is not a very safe city. Could anyone please offer me some insight and advice about what I am getting myself into? I really wanted to find a place in Highland Park (as I've heard it is safe) but my roommate is very insisten on renting this place on Somerset Street. Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 10:01 PM

3,022 posts, read 5,856,782 times
Your biggest worry should be where to park your car in New Brunswick

Use this site showmystreet.com - fast & easy street viewing to get a look at the street, and surrounding areas.

That address is only a few blocks from the NJ Transit station, and very close to RWJ Hospital.

It's walking distance to lots of things in New Brunswick, i.e. Zimmerli Museum, the three theaters at George St. & Livingston, the Barnes & Noble next to the train station. Lots of restaurants on George St.

New Brunswick is on the NorthEast Corridor line of NJ Transit & an easy trip into the City (although not cheap <g>.) New Jersey Transit - Home for schedules / maps.

In the other direction Princeton is a very quick trip. Get off at Princeton Junction & take the Dinky train one stop to Princeton (it leaves you close to McCarter Theater & the campus.) Lots of good theater there also & a great art museum on the campus.

Old 07-20-2016, 07:04 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,094,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindyray View Post

I am freaking out after hearing and reading that New Brunswick is not a very safe city. Could anyone please offer me some insight and advice about what I am getting myself into? I really wanted to find a place in Highland Park (as I've heard it is safe) but my roommate is very insisten on renting this place on Somerset Street. Thank you so much.
That depends, are you both attractive The hotter you are the more worried you should be. Are you going to post a picture?

Old 07-20-2016, 03:02 PM

10 posts, read 21,063 times
260 Somerset Street is right near the hospital and is a perfectly safe (imo) area of New Brunswick. I live in downtown New Brunswick and am a woman in her mid 20s. I am regularly near/at the hospital for work and frequent Kim's Bike Shop, which is right near the address you listed. I've never felt unsafe. Granted, New Brunswick is a (small) city. There are homeless people and such -- as long as you're street smart and aware of your surroundings, you will be fine. Thousands of college students live here, plus graduate students, professionals, etc. I haven't had any issues and have really enjoyed living here so far. If you have any questions about New Brunswick, let me know. I moved here recently and did a lot of research beforehand.

Old 07-20-2016, 03:24 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,872,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
That depends, are you both attractive The hotter you are the more worried you should be. Are you going to post a picture?
Would you ask the same of men? Be better.

Old 07-20-2016, 08:31 PM

7,056 posts, read 19,321,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Wow. Dude, this is not ok.

Old 07-21-2016, 04:36 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,046,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindyray View Post
Hello,

Could you guys please weigh in on the neighborhood that we would find ourselves in if we were to live around 260 Somerset Street in New Brunswick and what your recommendations would be (look for a place elsewhere, we'll be fine if we're careful, avoid so and so places, etc). I am not familiar at all with New Brunswick, NJ but my roommate and I will be moving to NJ and starting grad school there this upcoming fall.

I have a car but my roommate does not and so my roommate will have to either walk or bike to Rutgers Shuttle Bus stops nearby (12-15 minutes away by foot). My roommate is very insistent on us being within walking distance to campus as she does not have a car and will not be able to buy one this first year.

We found a decent looking place at a very affordable price. We met the former female tenants who lived there and claimed they've never had any issues apart from drunk people and homeless people (which frightens me tbh).

Having lived, worked, and been involved with New Brunswick all my 43 years, I'll tell you that New Brunswick has its good and bad sections. 260 Somerset St. is "okay" during the day. At night, it would be a crapshoot for the following reasons:

1) Good: it is just five blocks from RWJUH.
2) Good: It is less than a block away from James St. which is generally neatly kept.
3) Good: 260 Somerset has off-street parking, IIRC, that is part of the rental fee.
4) Good: The area has not had any "issues" with drunks or homeless people that I have been aware of.
5) Bad: Louis St. (one block closer to RWJUH) has had a few issues over the years. BUT those have mainly been during summer months when a number of the other buildings are empty.
6) Bad: You will be one block up from French St. which can be problematic from time to time.
7) Bad: Traffic for bicyclists can be tricky, especially around the hospital as it is THE Trauma One center for all of Central New Jersey and just about every accident that occurs on the roads from Linden to South Brunwick and Matawan/Old Bridge to Clinton.

What I have told people is that New Brunswick is as safe as you make it. I have had female friends who have lived and worked in the Hub City for decades without any problems whatsoever. One is turning 60 and still lives along Easton Ave. by herself having had to deal with more problems when she worked in Princeton than in New Brunswick. I have others who have worked at the University and done late nights of studying (>1 AM) for Masters' and Ph.D.s and then walk up George St. to their domicile or drive over to Tov Manor off Rte. 18 without problems.

To get a better sense of the numbers, visit University Public Safety. That is the complete listing of crime stats for all of Rutgers' campuses and immediate cities over the past three years (2012-2014). The update will be out in October this year.

Hopefully this helps somewhat.

Old 07-21-2016, 07:34 PM

60 posts, read 104,756 times
For female grad students especially, go to Highland Park. It's very safe, and one can walk across the Rt 27 bridge to Highland Park- there a stop for the EE bus (on George Street near restaurants) in both directions pretty close to the bridge (and by the train station). You can connect to other Rutgers buses from that line. Many grad students live in HP- for some programs more will live there than in NB even those that don't have cars. There's also a NJ Transit bus line that travels along Rt. 27 in HP/NB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey