Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2013, 08:55 AM

908 posts, read 1,557,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryanne10 View Post
I love the farmers market in Paterson, too. And the great Syrian bakeries nearby,too....and I love to stop for a real Turkish coffee in South Paterson. They sell spices and baked goods there that are very hard to find anywhere. The fragrances of the shops are just wonderful. I can't believe that people paint Paterson so badly with their big broad brush. Like any city these days, there is good and bad. Enjoy the good like the Great Falls, too.
I have family in Turkey(we're truly the UNITED NATIONS ) and my parents always drink Turkish coffee. Since my American husband was introduced to it, he won't drink any other coffee, except maybe arabic coffee. An American friend of mine was given some Turkish coffee as a gift, and she didn't know you can't drink it like American coffee. She drank a giant Dunkin Donuts cup of it. LOL, she called me and said, "WTH is in this coffee? I just rearranged all the furniture, and I'm baking my 2nd cake". OMG, I laughed so hard at her expense.
You are exactly right, every place has its good and bad, and I think Paterson, with its rich history has a great deal of good. However, people who don't want to see it, never will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well, hurry up and come back.

Now I'm thinking that maybe I'll get up early some Sunday morning and take a ride up there...it would only be about a 40-minute drive, then I could continue on to my mother's house and visit her.

The problem is, though, that I don't have a family to cook for anymore. It's just me, and I wouldn't need all that stuff.
To God's ears. I got a bit discouraged with the lack of rentals due to Sandy, but I hope all those poor people are back in their homes before the year is out. In the mean time I'll continue to try and coax my dad to come back to NJ with me. He can move 1st because its just him & 2 adult siblings. Then I'll have a place to crash while I start my search since they will be moving into a 3bdrm apt.(mom & other siblings have tiny 1bdrms). I will visit tons though before I move back. NJ is my therapy.
Enjoy your trip back up north & your visit with your mom this weekend.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:21 AM

88,669 posts, read 84,974,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorfulchic83 View Post
To God's ears. I got a bit discouraged with the lack of rentals due to Sandy, but I hope all those poor people are back in their homes before the year is out. In the mean time I'll continue to try and coax my dad to come back to NJ with me. He can move 1st because its just him & 2 adult siblings. Then I'll have a place to crash while I start my search since they will be moving into a 3bdrm apt.(mom & other siblings have tiny 1bdrms). I will visit tons though before I move back. NJ is my therapy.
Enjoy your trip back up north & your visit with your mom this weekend.
Thank you! I see a lot of construction going on in the shore towns now that spring is here, so things might start loosening up as people are getting their homes back in habitable shape again.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:48 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,082,493 times
Corrado's is something you also don't see in boondockier parts of Jersey.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Corrado's is something you also don't see in boondockier parts of Jersey.
I love, love, love Corrado's! You can find things there that you won't find most places, and their bakery is not too bad either. Don't they have a Corrado's in Wayne now?

Old 04-30-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Thank you! I see a lot of construction going on in the shore towns now that spring is here, so things might start loosening up as people are getting their homes back in habitable shape again.
Thanks for letting me know. It definitely gives me a brighter outlook on when I can finally leave. I could go now, but I HATE moving. I am a bit picky, and tend to be very by the book. I want to get the right place, and stay there for a long time. I don't care to move every year, not with 3 kids. Its always better to be slow & right. Haste rarely leads to good things.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:25 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,715,087 times
my husband works in paterson and he loves going to corrados and all the ethnic restaurants/supermarkets (toros and istanbul food bazaar especially) around there. he's never expressed feeling scared or wary or nervous.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:41 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,875,846 times
Quote:
There are administrative/financial issues facing Paterson. The 25% cuts to the police force in Paterson recently are catastrophic, too. I worked in Paterson for 20+ years. It needs to be a bigger rail center or it will continue to decline. As for the comment about the sofas on the street, I would bet that it was following the flooding. It certainly isn't the lifestyle. There are many hard-working, proud people in the city. And the court house area couldn't be any safer. St. Joe's is generally very safe, too.
Eventually when NJT gets around to it Paterson and Hackensack will be North Jersey's Transit Hubs

Paterson-Hawthrone-Clifton-Fair Lawn
Proposed : Paterson-Newark Light Rail , with 5 Stations in Downtown Paterson , 5 in Clifton , and 17 total to Newark
Proposed : Cross County Light Rail , Hawthorne/Paterson to Hackensack/Jersey City with stations at 6th Ave , Lafayette Street , Madison Avenue , 20th Avenue and Vreeland Avenue , with 17 New Stations to Jersey City
Proposed : Northwest Rail Link , Hawthorne to Warwick/Middletown,NY , with 1-2 stations in Hawthorne , and 14 to Middletown,NY
Proposed : Route 4 Bus Rapid Transitway from Downtown Paterson to Englewood , with 15 stations total
Proposed : Route 20 Bus Rapid Transitway from US 46 to Downtown Paterson , with 8 stations total
Proposed : US 46 Bus Rapid Transitway from Willowbrook Mall to Ridgefield Park , with 17 stations total
Upgraded : Main Line , Possible Electrification and Speed Enhancements
Upgraded : Paterson Main Station , into a large Transit hub
Upgraded : Hawthorne Station into a Transit Center
Upgraded : Broadway Station along the Bergen County line , with connections to Route 4 BRT
Upgraded : High Level Platforms at Clifton , Passaic and Delawanna

Hackensack-Maywood-Little Ferry-River Edge
Proposed : Cross County Light Rail , with stops at Maywood Ave , American Legion Drive & State Street
Proposed : Route 4 Bus Rapid Transitway with stops at , Hackensack Ave
Proposed : US 46 Bus Rapid Transitway with stops at , Little Ferry Circle , Huyler Ave , and Teterboro Train station
Upgraded : Pascack Valley line , , Possible Electrification , double tracking between Rutherford and New Bridge Landing , bi-directional service between New Bridge Landing and Hoboken every 20-30mins
Upgraded : Pascack Valley line safety upgrades along Railroad Ave
Upgraded : High Level Platforms at Wood-Ridge , Teterboro , Essex Street , Anderson Street and New Bridge Landing

Last edited by DarkWolf; 04-30-2013 at 12:56 PM..

Old 04-30-2013, 12:58 PM

513 posts, read 1,168,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Eventually when NJT gets around to it Paterson and Hackensack will be North Jersey's Transit Hubs

Paterson-Hawthrone-Clifton-Fair Lawn
Proposed : Paterson-Newark Light Rail , with 5 Stations in Downtown Paterson , 5 in Clifton , and 17 total to Newark
Proposed : Cross County Light Rail , Hawthorne/Paterson to Hackensack/Jersey City with stations at 6th Ave , Lafayette Street , Madison Avenue , 20th Avenue and Vreeland Avenue , with 17 New Stations to Jersey City
Proposed : Northwest Rail Link , Hawthorne to Warwick/Middletown,NY , with 1-2 stations in Hawthorne , and 14 to Middletown,NY
Proposed : Route 4 Bus Rapid Transitway from Downtown Paterson to Englewood , with 15 stations total
Proposed : Route 20 Bus Rapid Transitway from US 46 to Downtown Paterson , with 8 stations total
Proposed : US 46 Bus Rapid Transitway from Willowbrook Mall to Ridgefield Park , with 17 stations total
Upgraded : Main Line , Possible Electrification and Speed Enhancements
Upgraded : Paterson Main Station , into a large Transit hub
Upgraded : Hawthorne Station into a Transit Center
Upgraded : Broadway Station along the Bergen County line , with connections to Route 4 BRT
Upgraded : High Level Platforms at Clifton , Passaic and Delawanna

Hackensack-Maywood-Little Ferry-River Edge
Proposed : Cross County Light Rail , with stops at Maywood Ave , American Legion Drive & State Street
Proposed : Route 4 Bus Rapid Transitway with stops at , Hackensack Ave
Proposed : US 46 Bus Rapid Transitway with stops at , Little Ferry Circle , Huyler Ave , and Teterboro Train station
Upgraded : Pascack Valley line , , Possible Electrification , double tracking between Rutherford and New Bridge Landing , bi-directional service between New Bridge Landing and Hoboken every 20-30mins
Upgraded : Pascack Valley line safety upgrades along Railroad Ave
Upgraded : High Level Platforms at Wood-Ridge , Teterboro , Essex Street , Anderson Street and New Bridge Landing
That's very encouraging and great news. Thanks!

Old 04-30-2013, 01:06 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,875,846 times
Quote:
That's very encouraging and great news. Thanks!
The Upgrades are underway as we speak , some are tied to developments like the platform upgrades while Safety improvements in Hackensack are in the works. Electrification is a decade off , however more service to New Bridge landing and Hackensack is a few years away. Faster and more service Paterson is in the works aswell...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey