Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 01:06 PM

4 posts, read 6,810 times

Advertisements

I did my bachelor in commerce with an accounting major in 2010 from Concordia University, Montreal, Canada. Then I worked in a credit bureau for a year (not accounting). I quit the job after I had my 1st child and then had a 2nd kid soon after. Leaving kids in daycare and working outside didn't make much sense emotionally and financially as I was running a home daycare myself and making a decent income staying home with my own kids since last 3.5 years (if I factor in the cost of daycare for my 2 kids, commuting to work, tax, time spent outside etc). Well, it was not a career, but I really wanted to be with the kids!!

Recently I moved to New Jersey from Canada as my husband got a better job offer and eventually we want to settle down here. I think I will be ready to work full time in about 1.5 year from now.

I want to utilize this 1.5 year (more or less) doing something practical that can get me prepared for a job or at least add some value to the resume. I guess I need to do some specific training/ courses/ learn some software to make myself ready for the accounting field. Considering wuickbooks and peachtree right now. I know it will be a big struggle to get started and I don't have unrealistic hope! But I'm not really looking to spend a lot of money and do MS in accounting at this point as I believe I need some 'quality experience' rather than adding another certificate! I would have been happy to get my CPA, but that requires 2 years of accounting experience that I'm lacking!

I don't mind leaving accounting and going into a more general/ new field as I'm not a new grad and don't have any accounting experience either! But again, not willing to spend a lot of years or money switching career!

I know it's a tough call, but any thoughts/ opinion/ advice on what I can look into? What training/ courses should I consider? What other sectors can I think about other than accounting? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 01:24 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,218,613 times
Check out your local community college (NJ has a pretty extensive CC system IIRC) to see if they offer credit/non-credit courses in accounting software or other popular software (ie, MICROSOFT OFFICE SUITE, specifically EXCEL and WORD). These courses are usually short and don't cost a whole lot.

You might also look into volunteer opportunities doing accounting for a non-profit or charitable organization/institution.

Old 08-03-2015, 02:02 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,195,892 times
Try the temp agencies to get some p/t or short term assignments that will help you build your resume and skillset.

Old 08-03-2015, 02:38 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,437,670 times
are you familiar with the AICPA? I would start networking with local accounting organizations and maybe see if you can do volunteer work for local non profits. start trying to connect to people who work in regional accounting firms, as they may be easier to get jobs in than the Big 4.

Old 08-03-2015, 02:52 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,253,999 times
Without knowing how serious your studies were and how much interest/passion you have in accounting. Pursuing CPA exam would make sense in my opinion as a good solid transition. Since you will still be full time mom, taking 1 part a time would be good.

If you don't meet the 150 credit min. then another option would be to work for the differences.

I definitely second you consider some form of networking like meetup, local org meeting, etc.

Old 08-03-2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babo111 View Post
Without knowing how serious your studies were and how much interest/passion you have in accounting. Pursuing CPA exam would make sense in my opinion as a good solid transition. Since you will still be full time mom, taking 1 part a time would be good.

If you don't meet the 150 credit min. then another option would be to work for the differences.

I definitely second you consider some form of networking like meetup, local org meeting, etc.
But isn't it manadory to have 2 year accounting experience before they allow you to sit for the exam?

Old 08-03-2015, 03:26 PM

I'm pretty good in microsoft word, excel, powerpoint etc. I have also seen some online tutorials on peachtree, and quickbooks. I'll start practicing those soon. Any other popular accounting software you guys can recommend?

Old 08-03-2015, 05:31 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,253,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimebell View Post
But isn't it manadory to have 2 year accounting experience before they allow you to sit for the exam?
That's first time I heard that for US as mandatory, perhaps you are mixing up the requirement that most states requiring years of public accounting as experience portion along with passing your CPA exam to be granted your license. e.g. you pass all four parts + meet working requirement = CPA license. Please note I graduated in 2002 so my info is quite outdated and I entered technology instead of accounting.

You should google this info yourself in details because it varies state by state. Especially if you are serious about this route then you should do the homework. Good luck.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:55 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,434,382 times
Accounting is pretty disgusting. I have had my experiences with NJ accountants. Basically if accountants approach you start swearing at them, maybe they will go away.

I am CPA qualified myself. I worked in accounting for like 3 years after graduation, then I have discovered that by cursing and swearing at accountants that that try to hire you, you begin to enjoy your life.

Adjilon will harass you over a $15/h account payable job. A number of CPA firms will try to pay 45k for 60-70 hour work weeks.

Old 08-04-2015, 05:50 AM

839 posts, read 1,210,082 times
I had the issue. Accounting degree , worked in accounting for almost 20 years. Got laid off during reccession and had to take a job as a office manager. after 6 years they closed and laid off again. Tried in vain to get a Accounting job but every position said the same thing, You been out too long (now 7 years later) .I even took a online Accounting class to help . 4-5 interviews in accounting and again all the same thing. You been out too long. Wound up realizing that I basically was a office / warehouse manager and went that way. My gap had caused me a career change that I was not wanting . Managed a quick check for a year to get my resume up and now I manage an office for a private company. been almost 9 years now and I dont think accounting jobs are possible anymore unless I got real lucky and some one gave me a chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey