Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 09:27 AM

18 posts, read 43,160 times

Advertisements

Good day, I just got a ticket today from Leonia, NJ cop for “Disregard Stop Sign Regulation or Yield Sign” - 39:4-144. It says 2 points in the fee schedule, and the fine is $85. On March 2013, I had a traffic ticket that I plead guilty and just paid $85 fee with 2 points (I think) for Unsafe Lane Change – 39-4-88B. According to the officer, I made a last minute lane change in the double lines. I didn’t bother fighting it because I had 0 points back then and work with two kids, etc.

My question now is, should I bother fighting in the court for this new ticket? My co-workers told me that it might be useless and that I would probably pay $400+ just to have the points removed. My only worry is getting another ticket in the future/less than three years and having to pay the surcharge, etc. I live in another county (1.5 hours commute) so I’m afraid I might get another ticket resulting in more points or drivers license points/surcharge. Right now, I’m not too worried about insurance company surcharge because my insurance company said they don’t raise the rates for minor infractions like this. I would appreciate your thoughts and advice: Should I fight the current ticket or just pay the fee and take the points?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 09:49 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,726,528 times
how much did your insurance change because of the first ticket? when i fought my last ticket, they took a lot of money from me but they knocked it down to an offense that didn't get me any points. i believe that its worth it since you have an opportunity to get it knocked down.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:56 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,598,192 times
Kind of a though question. In the end it is up to you.
Seems like in NJ the "standard solution" is they offer almost everybody a zero-point unsafe driving deal but it costs about $485. You can only get 2 of those in about 5 or 10 years.
It still shows up as unsafe driving zero points if your insurance wants to check your record, however my insurance did and I just gave them a whole song and dance about I wasn't driving, car was parked, dog ate my homework, etc. They promptly forgot about it.

Other than that there is some sort of defensive driving course that takes two point off if you take it but if you get the 6 or more points within 3 years you do get a yearly bill from the State. for 3 years or however long you have 6 or more points.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:56 AM

Hi Captain, my insurance did not change because of the first ticket. I called my insurance company first to ask them if they would raise my rates because of the "unsafe lane change ticket" 2 points and they said NO they would not raise the rates unless i had massive points and/or points because of really bad unsafe driving, something like that. That was what made me decide to just pay the ticket initially.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:10 AM

Thank you for your thoughts. Actually that was what I was worried about really, the state surcharge. If I just pay this fee I will not have 4 points. I will really try my best to drive as safe as I can but three years is such a long time in regards to not being caught by a cop… If the plea bargain for 2 points was $200 and under I may just possibly fight but if it really is $400 and up, its almost not worth it… I am so confused on what to do.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:19 AM

The couple of times I took that unsafe deal it was always about $485 by the time they tack on the fine and state fees and this fee and that fee, payable all to the local municipal court cashier. Its based on some fee structure I think Jim McGreevster set up when he was the Governator in charge.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:57 PM

478 posts, read 1,230,783 times
The unsafe driving rap is basically extortion, but I paid in Parsippany a few years back to avoid points.

Old 08-27-2017, 09:33 AM

6 posts, read 11,861 times
I am in a similar situation. I was recently pulled over by a cop and given a ticket for unsafe lane change in Morris Plains. This happened at 3:00 am in the night and it was not a highway it was a local road with a speed limit of 30 mph and I was not over-speeding. Infant this is ten minutes from my home. Please note that I don't drink at all, the first question officer asked was I drunk, which I was not. Then he asked me to recite alphabets from E to X, which I did. He then gave me a ticket and told me that he was recording me and that I have been moving in the lanes and that I should not be driving in the right lane. This happened at W Hanover Avenue, which has a mix of single and double lanes. Moreover it has a lot of manholes which I was trying to avoid and I explained this to the officer. So I was trying to avoid the bumps.

I would really appreciate any advice on how should I proceed with the ticket. Is it worth fighting in court? I spoke with one of the lawyers and he told me that he could get the charges to unsafe driving with no points but fine would be around $400. I am very confused on what should I do. I don't have any prior tickets and I am an international student so I would prefer a clean record in terms of visa process etc. Please help me out.

Thank you very much!

Old 08-27-2017, 11:11 AM

I would chill and first find out how many points the tick is if you just pay it. I think you can take an online course that will wipe out 2 or points which would negate that. You can get the $485 or so unsafe driving deal without a lawyer, that's a moneymaker they hand out readily but if you use it more than a certain number of times it backfires and it's your responsibility to know how many times you had it.

Old 08-27-2017, 11:36 AM

6 posts, read 11,861 times
Thank you so much for your response. The ticket is for $185 (2 points). For the unsafe driving deal, would it still go as a violation in my record? I checked with Geico, there would be no surcharge as it is the first violation. However, any subsequent violation will result in a surcharge. Should I contest this in court? I mean, I don't know anyone getting a ticket at 3:00 am on a local road. It is more like the police officer wanted to give someone a ticket. Please let me know how to proceed.

Thank you very much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey