Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2012, 05:38 PM

10 posts, read 18,675 times

Advertisements

I may be moving to NJ sometime in the next few months to work in Ridgefield Park. I have three younger children (all elementary school age); so schools are very important. We're also looking for areas with rural, small town feel. I have been through Boonton Twp before and will definitely look there. I also like the look/prices of some homes in West Milford; but I'm not sure about schools or commute from that town. I appeciate any insight or suggestions anyone can offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 05:45 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,692,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaldHeadedDawg View Post
I may be moving to NJ sometime in the next few months to work in Ridgefield Park. I have three younger children (all elementary school age); so schools are very important. We're also looking for areas with rural, small town feel. I have been through Boonton Twp before and will definitely look there. I also like the look/prices of some homes in West Milford; but I'm not sure about schools or commute from that town. I appeciate any insight or suggestions anyone can offer.
Go one town over from Boonton...to Denville.
Good schools and nice neighborhoods.
Look in Indian Lake, Lake Arrowhead or one of the other lakes.
Many have club houses and swimming teams for the kids.
Denville is a small town and the hub of Morris County.
Easy hop onto route 80...

Old 01-27-2012, 05:49 PM

4,289 posts, read 10,786,694 times
west Milford would be a long commute on good days, and become a nightmare on bad days. I wouldn't recommend it for that reason.

I would look into Ringwood, Wanaque, and Bloomingdale.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:59 PM

10 posts, read 18,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
west Milford would be a long commute on good days, and become a nightmare on bad days. I wouldn't recommend it for that reason.

I would look into Ringwood, Wanaque, and Bloomingdale.
How are the schools in Bloomingdale? I have looked at houses online in that area; but I can't find any information on the school system. Thanks for the quick replies.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:20 PM

4,289 posts, read 10,786,694 times
Quote:
How are the schools in Bloomingdale? I have looked at houses online in that area; but I can't find any information on the school system. Thanks for the quick replies.
Town has its own schools k-8, and then shares a HS with Butler. I have family in the town with kids aged 10, 8, and 7. I never really looked into it, but I really doubt they are sending their kids to a "bad" school.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:39 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,460,500 times
Quote:

Boonton Twp is a good option, especially since Boonton Twp feeds into Mt. Lakes HS, which is widely regarded as one of the best HS in the state. (note that the Twp goes to Mt. Lakes, the town of Boonton does not) You may also want to check out Kinnelon.

I would be very cautious with regards to Denville as much of the town is subject to flooding. (see news coverage of Hurricane Irene, although we do not need to have a hurricane for Denville to flood) Also subject to flooding is areas of Wayne, Pompton Lakes, Pompton Plains, Pequannock, Passaic, Patterson, Little Falls, Dover, Rockaway and Parsippany.

There are some great threads in this forum dealing with the specific topic of school districts, I strongly recommend you check them out. (esp. the several threads on ranking the states schools - there are several publications that do such a survey) You should note that in this part of NJ there are several High Schools that are ranked quite high in national surveys. (ie Newsweek)

If you can tell us more about what you are looking for, we can give you better responses, with more suggestions. Check out the sticky thread on this forum for new/potential residents for what we are looking for. https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...residents.html

KoalaNJ

Old 01-27-2012, 10:35 PM

292 posts, read 719,741 times
Quote:
I would look at Paramus, Montville, Wayne, and Wyckoff.

Old 01-28-2012, 04:02 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,686,288 times
Cresskill and New Milford would also be decent options and your commute would only be about 30 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey