Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2011, 10:36 AM

40 posts, read 143,930 times

Advertisements

Looking to to move to Jersey and like both Glen Ridge and Ridgewood as possible place for family. Glen Ridge will be closer to work but Ridgewood not too far. Any thoughts from folks familiar with both towns. Which would you choose and why? Thanks. (PS: I am familiar with the taxes but with two kids the taxes are a bargain when compared to private school)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 12:53 PM

153 posts, read 377,335 times
I live in Ridgewood, very nice town, prop. taxes are high from what I've heard+seen in records. Downtown is very nice+convenient, trains+buses are very available and run frequently, plenty of grocery stores, albeit overpriced(Kings, Whole Foods, Stop+Shop)...then again, the avg. household brings in about 150k a year so they can't tell the difference. Good town overall though.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:16 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,780,693 times
Ridgewood has a nice downtown. Glen Ridge has no downtown.
Ridgewood has charming historical homes. Glen Ridge has charming historical mansions plus gas lights which is a pretty cool thing in my opinion if you are a historical buff
Ridgewood is a commuter town. Glen Ridge is a commuter town
Ridgewood is in Bergen County, Glen Ridge is in Essex county - property taxes are high in both towns
If I had to choose, I would pick Ridgewood only for the downtown area. ..but that is just me...
Ridgewood and Glen Ridge have very good schools, I think Glen Ridge wins in that area

Old 06-22-2011, 07:17 PM

133 posts, read 330,844 times
Parts of Glen Ridge border some less desirable towns, like Bloomfield, lower Montclair, and East Orange. I'd choose Ridgewood over that alone.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:21 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,780,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pci2000 View Post
Parts of Glen Ridge border some less desirable towns, like Bloomfield, lower Montclair, and East Orange. I'd choose Ridgewood over that alone.
Glen Ridge is still a safe town...In Jersey you are never more than 10 minutes from a bad area lol

Old 06-22-2011, 07:30 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,808,379 times
I would go with Ridgewood. good luck!

Old 06-22-2011, 08:20 PM

40 posts, read 143,930 times
Thanks for the opinions. I agree regarding the town in Ridgewood, that is a major attraction but Glen Ridge is close to Montclair which has nice town areas and a variety of diverse eating establishments. The rating of the Glen Ridge school system is quite high and Ridgewood is not too far behind which makes it difficult to choose between these two areas. Bloomfield is not so bad, a typical blue collar area that reminds me of Queens where I grew up so that does not bother me at all.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:16 PM

153 posts, read 377,335 times
I think Ridgewood HS is ranked #8 in the state on NJ, but I can't vouch for it as I did not attend(I went elsewhere in Bergen County).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey