Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 06:55 PM

164 posts, read 434,824 times

Advertisements

Probably not too suprising:
"The recently released Census figures paint a grim picture of Camden. One that is worse than the year before.
According to the new estimates, Camden is the poorest city in the country with a poverty rate of 42.5 percent. The rate for children living in poverty in Camden was even higher with a rate of 56.7 percent.
Other stark statistics included Camden’s median income in 2011 was $21,191, the lowest among the 555 cities and places surveyed. It was a huge drop from Camden’s median income in 2010 of $28,720."

Not the best read, nor very in-depth (from the Inquirer, alas), but here is the link:

New Census statistics paint grim picture of Camden

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 04:34 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,470,231 times
Sounds like they're just piling on Camden again,consider the source of that article then look at places like Mississippi which is considered the poorest state...

Old 10-01-2012, 10:34 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,904,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
Sounds like they're just piling on Camden again,consider the source of that article then look at places like Mississippi which is considered the poorest state...
The "source" of the articles was the US Census Bureau. The comparison to Mississippi and places in Arizona was to show the correlations in the data. I don't find it surprising that Camden is among the poorest of cities in the nation, afterall that was the comparison...it was poorest among 555 or so cities that were looked at.

Pretty much anyone who has the financial means to move somewhere else does so. Those who do live in Camden by and large are there because they have no other choice. Wealth creation and retention is ultimately Camden's problem and one that no one really knows how to fix. When someone finally generates enough wealth to leave, they do. The reasons are safety and schools. The problem is, you need the kind of people who leave to stay so you can address the issue with safety and schools. I hate to say it, but it is basically a city of people with no options, the poorest of the poor.

Old 10-06-2012, 07:05 AM

Funny,I've driven through Camden(little Philly)many times and still don't get as bad a feeling as I do in Philly;

Old 10-06-2012, 08:35 AM

89,204 posts, read 85,980,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
The "source" of the articles was the US Census Bureau. The comparison to Mississippi and places in Arizona was to show the correlations in the data. I don't find it surprising that Camden is among the poorest of cities in the nation, afterall that was the comparison...it was poorest among 555 or so cities that were looked at.

Pretty much anyone who has the financial means to move somewhere else does so. Those who do live in Camden by and large are there because they have no other choice. Wealth creation and retention is ultimately Camden's problem and one that no one really knows how to fix. When someone finally generates enough wealth to leave, they do. The reasons are safety and schools. The problem is, you need the kind of people who leave to stay so you can address the issue with safety and schools. I hate to say it, but it is basically a city of people with no options, the poorest of the poor.
That's it, but I think it goes a little further. These are people who do not have the basic capacity within themselves to be anything more or they likely would have left already. That doesn't mean they should be firebombed and exterminated, but I don't know what the answer is.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:13 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,973,631 times
Quote:
Funny,I've driven through Camden(little Philly)many times and still don't get as bad a feeling as I do in Philly;
I agree..

Old 10-06-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
I agree..
I've also actually met alot of people from Camden and at least they're trying to live a regular life,get an education etc...

Old 10-06-2012, 05:21 PM

17,522 posts, read 24,810,040 times
So what is Neww Jersey doing about this?

Old 10-06-2012, 06:15 PM

Not much.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:21 PM

17,522 posts, read 24,810,040 times
Quote:
Not much.
Hey, they got rid of the Police Department, without which there will be nowhere to report crime. That will cause the crime rate to fall
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia