Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2021, 08:33 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,671,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
Buying an empty lot or raw land and throwing a modular (Not a mobile) up is starting to look like a viable option.
I'm looking at 50 acres in S.NH, planning on insulated concrete forms (ICF) and modular (not manufactured/mobile) for the parts which can't just be cast out of concrete. I expect the cost to be the same as stick-built, but it should go up faster.

The difficulty with raw land or an empty lot is going to be siting the well and septic, especially if on ledge. Usually a good reason there isn't already a house there.

For example, my 1980's house is cut into the side of a large hill, I'm told the blasting to make a foundation hole was a significant expense! Even then it's all ledge up here, the only way they could pass a perc test (prerequisite for the building permit) was to install a septic tank adjacent to the house, run +400' of 8" PVC down the hill, dig in another tank, and then the leach field.

The well was a similarly herculean endeavor, drilling 500' into granite. Replacing the pump motor is a day-long project.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2021, 11:54 AM

1,093 posts, read 1,058,150 times
edit-sorry. Went way off on a tangent below. but this is my life right now. At least I'm happy in my current rental in a nice part of the state.

I'm also looking for a large lot in northern Grafton or SW Coos. I keep running into issues with siting a house, well, and septic on some of the hilly lots I look at. I've pretty much resigned myself to expensive prep work on those and adding driveway, running electric(look at NHEC's rate per foot of new service), and the guesswork of permits.

That and it is hard to judge the land with a foot of snow on the ground.

Some towns also have their own quirks--One Grafton County town's Class VI road policy made buying a 80+ acre property too risky. NH has its own law, but this town's policy was way over the top and would have me seeking permission for then rebuilding a good 1/2 mile of already good road before even applying for a building permit. By the way, that town doesn't like to approve permits more than 200' off the town maintained road. Add 1/4 mile driveway, extensive sight prep, building, and being on the hook to maintain a road which is more than just plowing, and it wasn't worth it.

I've also found that most listing agents put ridiculously little effort into raw land listings. Likely not worth it for them, but in the winter, the more info the listing agent adds the better. My buyer agent sent me a >100 acre listing today and since it was on the way to where I was going, I decided to check it out. Stymied as there is a private road sign so I didn't go to the lot--the listing doesn't mention the private road. The listing also says all sorts of good things about suitable uses and that it isn't deed restricted or other HOA hell. Upon further research by my agent, there are all sorts of restrictions.

An otherwise nice 100 plus acre property ruined by BS. It is always fun searching through BOS minutes to find someone petitioning the BOS on behalf of this neighborhood or that. Or an owner asking the BOS about a building permit and the BOS telling them to petition the residents in that subdivision. Who am I to care whether my neighbor has a half dozen chickens for eggs and wants to teach his/her kids to shoot a .22LR in a safe place into a safe backstop on their yard. Who is my neighbor to care about what I do on my yard. There are a couple of nearby towns full of the restricted lots.

This is about the least restrictive paragraph for this property and it is already way too restrictive. Suitable for a farm eh?

Old 02-11-2021, 12:34 PM

6,573 posts, read 6,738,168 times
Buying raw land is tricky. I built on a lot that cost me 3k of ledge blasting. Not terrible. A friend purchased a lot in the next town over...22k of ledge blasting.

Old 02-13-2021, 08:51 AM

5,300 posts, read 6,179,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
Buying raw land is tricky. I built on a lot that cost me 3k of ledge blasting. Not terrible. A friend purchased a lot in the next town over...22k of ledge blasting.

Maybe you're thinking of the 1948 movie, "Mt. Blandings Builds His Dream House?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrJRTKd9GWo

Old 02-13-2021, 09:12 AM

9,879 posts, read 7,209,711 times
^^ Even in the old days, it was some Italian builder...

It could be like Jerry and Millie's house on Dick Van Dyke from the episode "Your Home Sweet Home Is My Home":

Old 02-13-2021, 10:38 AM

6,573 posts, read 6,738,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Maybe you're thinking of the 1948 movie, "Mt. Blandings Builds His Dream House?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrJRTKd9GWo
That's a good one

Old 02-14-2021, 02:27 PM

3,267 posts, read 1,747,333 times
Aside from ledge and leach field issues, It's my thought to go with a modular ranch. I'm in a wheelchair and finding anything with a first floor master with bath is like finding hen's teeth. Let alone finding something handicapped accessible.
Even if it needs a leech field a couple truck loads of sand can't be all that expensive. (I've driven dump trucks).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire