Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2020, 04:20 PM
KCZ

4,662 posts, read 3,658,309 times

Advertisements

Many don't get reading comprehension either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2020, 04:27 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,528,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi.Dunn View Post
Yeah Spanky, but many don't get basic economics.
“Land of the FREE”

Old 07-28-2020, 05:08 PM

7,269 posts, read 4,209,432 times
How are more taxes generated when the condo owners are already paying real estate tax and there is no sales or income tax?

Old 07-28-2020, 05:18 PM

219 posts, read 366,450 times
Marginal increase in booze, meals, vehicle, cigarette taxes but the the holy trinity of nh towns: bartlett, hebron and Moultonborough may lose their luster.

Old 07-28-2020, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
How are more taxes generated when the condo owners are already paying real estate tax and there is no sales or income tax?
Business taxes, liquor tax, cigarette tax, lodging tax, property tax, gas tax, gaming tax. I’m sure the list goes on. I’m sure a good percentage is from “condo/vacationers”.

Old 07-28-2020, 06:20 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,639,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
My niece says that people fleeing New York have decided to take up residence in their ski condos that they own in New Hampshire or Vermont, at least until the virus is under control.

They plan to enroll their kids in the local school systems, in some cases overwhelming them. She specifically mentioned Waterville Valley and vicinity.

Anyone else heard of this?
Yep.

Old 07-28-2020, 08:22 PM

6,404 posts, read 8,980,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebig0 View Post
We are seeing the beginning of a shift in our country. The pandemic has forced record people to work from home. As companies realize that not only are workers more productive at home but also overhead costs are reduced, you are going to see more and more people permanently working from home. Further the companies that do not catch on are going to struggle to find skilled/educated help. Paying high overhead to force people to spend hours a day commuting is ridiculous.

Certainly there are some people that prefer citylife but there is a reason people vacation in rural areas. All us lifelong NH residents should get ready for more neighbors.
What proof is there workers are more productive at home? My WFH experience would say otherwise. It has been a challenge to train both new hires and in house promotions. Not to mention the amount of time lost due to tech access issues. Working off of a VPN has its pitfalls.

Once the numbers of leaving NYC started to be reported, coupled with reports of increased crime, there was some speculation that many of them will never return. Will be interesting to see the lasting impact on NYC and the surrounding areas where its former residents flee.

Old 07-28-2020, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
What proof is there workers are more productive at home? My WFH experience would say otherwise. It has been a challenge to train both new hires and in house promotions. Not to mention the amount of time lost due to tech access issues. Working off of a VPN has its pitfalls.

Once the numbers of leaving NYC started to be reported, coupled with reports of increased crime, there was some speculation that many of them will never return. Will be interesting to see the lasting impact on NYC and the surrounding areas where its former residents flee.
Yeah, maybe I can buy that 600sf condo in NYC for 2.5 million now instead of 3.8 million, lol.

Old 07-29-2020, 07:16 AM

199 posts, read 180,960 times
In NYC prices fell 18% in the second quarter. I believe that real estate is going to drop significantly in dense metro areas in high-tax states. Like I said earlier, these migration trends were already present for awhile, but with the plandemic and civil unrest they are going to be exacerbated. People will be coming to NH more now than they already were before.

Old 07-29-2020, 07:26 AM

33 posts, read 21,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
Business taxes, liquor tax, cigarette tax, lodging tax, property tax, gas tax, gaming tax. I’m sure the list goes on. I’m sure a good percentage is from “condo/vacationers”.
Wyoming is one of the seven that doesn't have income, corporate or business taxes or a "special" tax on dividends. Four/five percent state sales tax, county level property tax and ad-valorem vehicle tax, state gas tax.

But when the Freedom project voted, we lost out to NH. How's that working out for you?

Nothing much has changed in Wyoming since I was born there in 1959. We still mine more coal than any other state, produce more sour crude and natural gas than other surrounding states. Most people come, visit and leave. Rich ones stay and raise their great-grandchildren there. Winters are horrible which weeds out a lot of newcomers. To get a resident fishing/hunting license (if you came from outta state) takes a year from the date you changed your drivers license. We want to be sure, this is where you want to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire