Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 05:37 AM

10,057 posts, read 18,138,923 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I know, it varies a lot ... just curious about ballpark figures per square foot?

I'm thinking of making a current "junk"/TV room into my kitchen (it's much bigger than my current kitchen, which I HATE) and adding a room off the kitchen in what is now my back yard ... the back yard is huge and beautiful and I'd love to have a breakfast/exercise/TV room overlooking it.

It would likely be anywhere from 12x16 to 16x30 (I'm dreaming!! ) and wouldn't need much in terms of extras -- i.e., some electrical outlets but no plumbing or anything like that. Probably 3-4 very basic windows (or 2 larger ones). I don't know if it could be done on a slab or if a crawl space would have to be constructed (the "junk" room is part of an addition from the late '70s and it has a crawlspace that's connected to the main house's basement).

I'm in western New Hampshire, which is likely a BIT cheaper than eastern New Hampshire, but who knows.

So, has anyone had an addition put on their house, and if so, can you please share details including ballpark costs?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 06:46 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,153,239 times
Twenty years ago we built a 20 X 30 barn. It cost $10K for the foundation slab. The balance was another $15K in building material. 2 windows, 2 doors, no plumbing, electricity.

So if you build it yourself, I would estimate double that cost due to inflation - You are looking at $50K...ballpark.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:20 AM

Thanks, Buck! 20x30 is about twice as large as I am LIKELY to go, though, and this would be partially attached to my house/garage (I assume your barn is detached).

I am curious as to why the foundation costs so much? A slab in particular is just poured concrete, right? (Clearly I know nothing about the price of building materials ...)

Anyone else?

Old 06-25-2013, 07:47 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,153,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Thanks, Buck! 20x30 is about twice as large as I am LIKELY to go, though, and this would be partially attached to my house/garage (I assume your barn is detached).

I am curious as to why the foundation costs so much? A slab in particular is just poured concrete, right? (Clearly I know nothing about the price of building materials ...)

Anyone else?
barn is attached in an L - the garage is between the actual house and barn.

rebar, wire mesh, reinforcing steel, hangers...delivery - it all adds up. The average cost for a cubic FOOT is $100-!25.

Permits were expensive also.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:14 PM

6,591 posts, read 6,770,783 times
I did a 12X14 all-season room on a slab in Mass in a rental property I own. I knocked down a wall in the back bedroom to link the addition. Simple space with a tile floor, celling fan, paint, cable, electric, 5 windows & a door with a raised celling. Cost me about 26k. Should run you about 20k in your area I'm guessing. The "BIG IF" is if you run into ledge when dig the space out. That may cost you 3k-5k more. Good luck

Last edited by Brave Stranger; 06-25-2013 at 12:44 PM..

Old 06-25-2013, 06:20 PM

8,272 posts, read 11,038,333 times
Foundation is crucial.
Full foundation?
Crawl foundation?
Piers?

Old 06-26-2013, 10:41 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,349,665 times
You would want to use a monolithic slab if it's attached to your house. A floating slab of this type can shift and cause movement between the 2 structures. You'll need footings below the frost line to prevent movement.

$150 to $200 per square foot is our average new construction build but a kitchen could be a lot more if your talking new cabinets, counters, appliances, etc

Old 06-26-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
I did a 12X14 all-season room on a slab in Mass in a rental property I own. I knocked down a wall in the back bedroom to link the addition. Simple space with a tile floor, celling fan, paint, cable, electric, 5 windows & a door with a raised celling. Cost me about 26k. Should run you about 20k in your area I'm guessing. The "BIG IF" is if you run into ledge when dig the space out. That may cost you 3k-5k more. Good luck
I assume that was recent? Thanks for the info, it's very helpful. (Except I'm not sure what you mean by "run into ledge" ... my soil is apparently good for gardening -- i.e. not hard clay or anything.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Foundation is crucial.
Full foundation?
Crawl foundation?
Piers?
As I wrote in the OP, "I don't know if it could be done on a slab or if a crawl space would have to be constructed (the "junk" room is part of an addition from the late '70s and it has a crawlspace that's connected to the main house's basement)." My house was built in 1960 with a full basement (typical where I live); an addition was added in the late '70s -- that's the "junk" room plus an extra bay on the garage to make it a 3-car garage. The house part (i.e., the "junk" room) has a crawlspace that is attached to the original basement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignhfamily View Post
You would want to use a monolithic slab if it's attached to your house. A floating slab of this type can shift and cause movement between the 2 structures. You'll need footings below the frost line to prevent movement.

$150 to $200 per square foot is our average new construction build but a kitchen could be a lot more if your talking new cabinets, counters, appliances, etc
The kitchen is totally separate and I can price that myself based on a kitchen I did back in '09 at my old house. This is for a room OFF the kitchen that would be very basic as described in the OP.

I do have a couple of relatively inexpensive labor sources ... one is one of my tenants who helped a colleague of mine build his house. The colleague raves about him. The other is a different colleague who actually installed my kitchen back in '09 -- he's amazing. So I'm HOPING to keep the labor costs relatively low (would definitely have to hire someone to do the foundation, though -- I don't want to take any chances with that!!).

Thanks for the replies -- I'll rep everyone I can. And if anyone else wants to chime in, please do!

Old 06-26-2013, 03:55 PM

407 posts, read 1,560,429 times
I had a 24' x 28' 2-story gambrel garage built in 2011, and the foundation for that ran me about $6300, with an additional $5K for excavation (a lot of lot leveling and boulder removal - it IS the "Granite State", after all). The foundation itself was a 16” footing, 8” wide by 48” tall wall, and a 4” slab for the floor.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:00 PM

6,591 posts, read 6,770,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I assume that was recent? Thanks for the info, it's very helpful. (Except I'm not sure what you mean by "run into ledge" ... my soil is apparently good for gardening -- i.e. not hard clay or anything.)

As I wrote in the OP, "I don't know if it could be done on a slab or if a crawl space would have to be constructed (the "junk" room is part of an addition from the late '70s and it has a crawlspace that's connected to the main house's basement)." My house was built in 1960 with a full basement (typical where I live); an addition was added in the late '70s -- that's the "junk" room plus an extra bay on the garage to make it a 3-car garage. The house part (i.e., the "junk" room) has a crawlspace that is attached to the original basement.

The kitchen is totally separate and I can price that myself based on a kitchen I did back in '09 at my old house. This is for a room OFF the kitchen that would be very basic as described in the OP.

I do have a couple of relatively inexpensive labor sources ... one is one of my tenants who helped a colleague of mine build his house. The colleague raves about him. The other is a different colleague who actually installed my kitchen back in '09 -- he's amazing. So I'm HOPING to keep the labor costs relatively low (would definitely have to hire someone to do the foundation, though -- I don't want to take any chances with that!!).

Thanks for the replies -- I'll rep everyone I can. And if anyone else wants to chime in, please do!
I just finished up the project this spring. I also ran the heat out there which required a second zone added to the boiler. Ledge, or stones, could be under your land where you can't see it until they dig. If there's a lot of ledge they will have to blast which is very expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire