Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 08:27 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be traveling between commitments in Maine and Vermont in mid-May and would like to find a place in New Hampshire to spend a few days along the way. Based on responses from another thread, we know that the White Mountains are a sight to see and the northern route between our ME and VT might be the ticket. Others suggested that the mountains aren't as nice a destination in May, with muddy trails and little greenery.

So what do you think? Would we spend a few days in the White Mountains or pick another spot farther south for a few nights?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 09:38 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,168,736 times
I think mid-May would be fine. There may be little greenery in the higher elevations (which normally might have some snow, but probably not this year), but the lower elevations and valleys should be exploding into bloom right around that time.

Normally, some trails would likely be on the muddy side, but with this exceptionally mild winter, they probably won't be that bad. I'm not sure how this is going to affect the black flies, though - they are really the most annoying part of hiking during May and require a strong repellant.

That said, there really is no more beautiful place in NH than the White Mountains. I know that's a debatable claim, but I couldn't imagine passing them up, even in May. I actually prefer them this time of year: the skiers are gone, and the summer vacationers haven't arrived yet. The mountains are quiet and serene, the way they're meant to be.

Even if you decide you don't want to hike, there's still plenty to do between the scenic drives, state parks, and shopping in North Conway.

I'm sure you would enjoy a stay in Meredith or Wolfeboro in the Lakes Region, but, as pretty as the lakes are, they just don't have quite the same majesty as the Whites. Same goes for the Monadnock Region. But whichever one you choose, I'm sure you would enjoy it.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:52 AM

Fantastic, Verseau. You're very helpful.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:04 AM

2 posts, read 6,071 times
Default Whites in May

Depends on how you do it. May will likely be cool and muddy for camping and any mountain hiking. I assume your 'northern route' will include the stretch from Franconia to Pinkham. It could be raw and still snow-capped up there.
If camping, I'd suggest Moose Brook state park or Dolly Copp. The latter is a fantastic campground for tenters and trailers alike, but doesn't have showers yet (but will in the future!). When we camp there we shower at the AMC Pinkham Notch center at the base of Mt. Washington.
If staying indoors, there's a stretch of B&Bs and Inns between No. Conway and Jackson, and more 'inclement weather' things to do.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:31 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,542,547 times
Depending on how the rest of the waning winter goes, May is a very good time for finding and viewing the waterfalls in the area, If you are into hiking you may want to check out this one.. easy find right on the Franconia Notch scenic byway

Falls on the Falling Waters Trail - NH

Old 02-28-2012, 02:29 PM

Excellent input. We do enjoy the outdoors, but won't be camping. Some lighter hiking and biking may be on the menu if the trails are up to snuff. Otherwise, we'll be looking to take in the sights, stay in some comfortable hotels/B&Bs, and generally relax and enjoy the area.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustWest22 View Post
I assume your 'northern route' will include the stretch from Franconia to Pinkham. It could be raw and still snow-capped up there.
When I said "northern route," I was actually referring more to the route between ME and VT. That is, going by way of the Whites rather than one of the more southerly regions.

You mention the string of B&Bs between Conway and Jackson, which brings up a good point: Would this be the overall best bet for a night or two? Are there any other towns or areas that you prefer?

And you're welcome to PM me if you don't want to give away your favorite spots to the whole of the internet.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:14 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,168,736 times
If I remember from one of your earlier threads, you're more interested in "authentic" small towns than touristy spots. For that reason I would probably stay away from Conway/North Conway and focus instead on Jackson or Bartlett on the eastern side of the Whites; Bethlehem or Franconia on the western side of the Whites. There are a couple of other towns that might fit the bill, but I think these are the most centrally located to the different attractions of the region.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:22 PM

Perfect. Thanks again!

Old 03-01-2012, 05:28 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,544,526 times
I don't see black flys being an issue in May. It usually takes a very warm spell before they hatch out. And unless you are in the deep woods when they are out, it isn't an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire