Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2006, 12:05 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times

Advertisements

I'm currently in NJ debating a move to either ID or the Reno/CC area. I've vacationed in Reno/Lake Tahoe a number of times and love the area but haven't been out that way in 10-12 years. I've been looking at house prices and it seems I may be looking at either manufactured housing in CC or the Stead area.

I've seen some houses listed in the area of the CC airport and they lookd OK, was hoping someone could give me some insight on the area? No family so schools are not an issue, would just like to find a low-crime peaceful area. Not looking for anything big or fancy, if I can have morning coffee on a small deck and have a view I'm a happy camper.

I've been thru the Stead are on the way to the Air Races a number of times but not in 10-12 years. I was only passing thru but being from a very urban area it seemed a bit desolate back then, would welcome current opinion of the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2006, 12:27 AM

5 posts, read 38,870 times
Carson City is a very nice place to live. However, most of the locals have gotten a recent "f***ing tourists" attitude recently because of all of the people from Pennsylvania (and surrounding areas) and California moving here.

Not that we won't be nice. A lot of people just resent the sudden invasion of people who can't drive, lol. You'll hear a LOT of complaints about California Drivers if you move out here.

If you want low-crime, while looking for housing steer clear of Woodside Drive, Como Street and surrounding areas.

Old 09-11-2006, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tashabot View Post
If you want low-crime, while looking for housing steer clear of Woodside Drive, Como Street and surrounding areas.

Being an airplane lover I've been out around the CC airport, is that a decent neighborhood? I know in NJ many airports have problems with locals due to noise but airplanes really don't bother me.

I'm not really too concerned about fitting in, I believe people are people and if you don't go round whining it's not like where you came from there's usually not a problem. If I wanted something just just like where I am I'd stay where I am

Old 09-11-2006, 07:10 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,440,827 times
Stead, low income with attendant problems. If you live in the north valleys, but must work in reno itself, you have to do southbound 395 which is a combination of wrecking yard and parkinglot in the morning, an unpleasant commute. If you go farther afield to Red Rock or Palomino Valley it is pleasant.

Old 09-11-2006, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide View Post
Stead, low income with attendant problems. If you live in the north valleys, but must work in reno itself, you have to do southbound 395 which is a combination of wrecking yard and parkinglot in the morning, an unpleasant commute. If you go farther afield to Red Rock or Palomino Valley it is pleasant.

Given my choice I'd really prefer CC. One of those places I've been that just felt comfortable from the first visit.

Old 04-17-2007, 12:35 AM

2 posts, read 16,651 times
I would NOT do the North Valleys Area, way too crowded.

You ever think of Dayton Nevada? Just a little east of Carson on 50.

We chose to move here from California with our children. It is a fine place and if you are looking to buy a home, your timing is great, for prices have fallen in the last year. Dayton has grown from about 5000 people in the year 2000 to about 15,000 today. Many from outta state and many from elsewhere in Northern Nevada (places like Reno & Carson). This is nice so you won't feel like a newbie for a generation as often happens in a smaller community.

Yes, Gardnerville and Minden are EXPENSIVE compared to other areas. Gorgeous views, but $$$. Quite a bit more $$$.

Dayton is 12-15 miles east of Carson City and 35-40 minutes SE of Reno. I can be from my front door to shore at Lake Tahoe in less than 40 minutes and it is a beautiful drive. The area is lovely, Dayton has fantastic views and very little snow compared to the surrounding area. Carson City can be covered with the white stuff while there is little or none in Dayton a mere 15 miles away. Rain Shadow effect. The Carson River runs through the valley and the cottonwoods add greenery that is not found in many Nevada towns. The mountains have a variety of colors and textures. We like it a lot. Dayton is probably the most upscale community in the county. Lyon county is the second fastest growing county isn the US, %-wise.

It is a nice community and gave us what we were looking for. Reno is too urban, and Carson City is beautiful but the schools there seem to have gang issues, and we didn't want that for our children.

Dayton has grown and is projected to continue growing rapidly. A third elementary school is opening this fall so eash wil have about 500 students. Both the High School and the Intermediate School are at 700 each and growing. There is shopping coming to the area and some of the "big Box" stores have reportedly purchased land along US 50. I'm not sure where one looks to verify that info, but with the 10,000 homes that are planned for the area, I 'm not surprised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada