Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 11:05 AM

182 posts, read 469,197 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am a college student, who is about to be married and adopt a 2 year old. I am majoring in wildlife management to get my certification as a wildlife biologist. I want to work for the government and am interested in taking a job in Nebraska.

I just need to have a few questions answered.

1.) Is Nebraska a good place for a newly graduated student to take a job and live?
2.) What are the prices on property? Taxes?
3.) Is Nebraska a good place to raise a child?

Here are other states I am interested in moving to:
Alaska
Montana
New Mexico
Colorado
South Dakota
North Dakota
Wyoming
Utah

I really appreciate the help!

Jessica

P.S. We love the idea of mountain life and would prefer cooler summers. We are very tired of the heat here in Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 12:41 PM

1,821 posts, read 5,147,686 times
Where in Nebraska is the job? Nebraska is a great place to raise a family, good schools, low crime, usually lots of pride in the community. Prices for a house will depend on where your job is, but are low compared to the rest of the country. On the other hand property taxes are high compared to the rest of the country, but the low cost of housing somewhat makes up for that.

If you love the idea of mountain life you're somewhat out of luck in Nebraska. If the job was in the western part of the state that wouldn't be too bad, as the Rockies are only a few hours away and there is some rugged mountain like terrain in the panhandle.

Hope that helps.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:59 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,552,699 times
Wildlife Management in Nebraska - great choice... this state is so diverse in its geography and plant/animal life... things you see do in western Nebraska would be different than central or eastern.. SandHills, PineRidge, etc, etc...

In addition to the State take a look at the various NRD's and even county positions....

Might even check out Chadron State College for some leads - one of the leading Wildlife Management professors up there...

Old 08-21-2008, 05:54 PM

Thanks. I haven't yet taken a job, just looking at your state for when I do go looking for a job. I have heard nothing but good stuff about Nebraska, just maybe that some of the towns are isolated and small, but that's no big deal to us as long as we can drive within reasonable distance to a bigger city/town.

Old 08-21-2008, 06:40 PM

Nothing wrong with doing research, its a big decision. If you could find something in the Scottsbluff area that would be great. Scottsbluff/Gering is a bigger area (for Nebraska) and would have all the shopping and medical services you would need. You are a couple hours from the mountains and the panhandle of Nebraska has closest thing to mountain terrain.

To be honest though, if you are looking for mountains and lower taxes some of the other states on the list might better suit you.

Old 08-21-2008, 06:48 PM

So I have been told, lol. Can't count Nebraska out. I hear it has some fine hunting, but I could be wrong. If there's hunting, there's a job in my field.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:01 PM

Oh, it has some fine hunting. There is a reason Cabela's was founded here.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:51 PM

That's good to know. My career will be based on wildlife. Where there is hunting, there is a job! Oh and a happy husband lol.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:18 AM

370 posts, read 1,356,586 times
As you've probably noted, Nebraska is a very diverse state, with more populated areas to the east, becoming much more rural to the west. From rolling hills, to sand hills, to high plains, to the pine ridge.

I live "out west" and absolutely love it. I can hop on the Interstate and be in Lincoln in about four hours, Denver in three. Rocky Mountain National Park in four.

If you are looking for a government job as a wildlife biologist, you obviously don't plan to get weathy.

I would guess that the majority of the biologist jobs with Nebraska Game and Parks are centered in Lincoln, but they have field offices in Kearney, Norfolk, Alliance, North Platte and Bassett, as well as jobs located at various Wildlife Management Areas across the state.

They post their jobs at www.outdoornebraska.org

Probably not too many federal biologist jobs, maybe at the Cresent Lake or Valentine NWRs.

Taxes are a little higher (we rate about 17th in per capita state and local taxes according to a recent article in the Journal Star), but the cost of living can be low. Especially buying a home in a small town. Crime is realtively low, and you can find good access to services at regional population areas (Metro, tri-cities, North Platte, Scottsbluff), as well as smaller towns.

Hunting is good and diverse, with deer and turkey being big draws. Waterfowl hunting is good, but access is becoming an issue. Upland game bird hunting is decent. We're no South Dakota, but nothing to sneeze at. Fishing is good and diverse too.

If you are looking at a more specific area, let us know and I'm sure someone on the board will jump in!

HTH!

Old 08-22-2008, 08:35 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,552,699 times
Don't discount the zoo in Omaha... a world class operation that employs Wildlife Biologists... Henry Doorly Zoo, its Wildlife Safari (http://www.omahazoo.com/parkweb/home/home.htm - broken link)and Dr Lee Simmons
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska