Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2010, 06:34 PM

58 posts, read 176,685 times

Advertisements

We found a house we like in Fairview; Fairview HS. We were previously looking in Franklin and Brentwood. Can anyone tell me how Fairview compairs to Franklin and any info about Fairview H.S.?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 08:12 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,920,589 times
OK, here's the story with Fairview.
Fairview is small town/country.
It is beautiful. It's very hilly, and there are only a few main drags through town.
The people I know from Fairview are great and very friendly, so it's not scary small town.
You can get more house and land for the money. It has a small commercial area that is growing, and in a few years it will grow a lot more because it is less expensive and has direct access to I-40. When they finally complete the final leg of the 840 bypass, it will be only a few miles away from Fairview city hall so a lot more people will probably move there because it's affordable.
But it's less expensive for certain reasons.
It's more remote. Hard to get to other areas of the county.
Fairview High School has the lowest test scores in the county. Their ACT score has actually dropped tenths of a point to around 19 over the past three years. (Brentwood and Ravenwood each average a 24 on the ACT.)It has good attendance and graduation rates. It just is in an area with a less-educated demographic.
If schools were my top priority, I would not choose Fairview.
http://edu.reportcard.state.tn.us/pl...7415019579::NO

Last edited by BirdieBelle; 04-30-2010 at 09:16 PM..

Old 05-01-2010, 05:02 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,545,217 times
Ditto wmsn.

It is one of the poorer sections of Williamson county (not that it is bad), but test scores almost always correlate to the income and eduction level of the adults of the community.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:13 AM

43 posts, read 104,790 times
Fairview High School is ranked 755th in the nation and 6th in the state of TN. For non-magnet schools with less than 1000 students, Fairview High School is the #1 comprehensive high school in the state (I got this info off the school website).

My family moved to Fairview in 2006 from Bellevue. We moved here for the school system and for the fact that we could build a custom home on an acre lot on a cul de sac for much less than in Brentwood or Franklin. We have been very happy with our decision. Yes there are an eclectic mix of folks in Fairview, but we enjoy the diversity.
I'm sure you already know about the new city center across from the Mcdonalds (Publix and other shops and restaurants coming soon). Be sure to check out Bowie nature park which is the largest city park in the state with almost 800 acres, trails, and lakes. The rec center has exercise classes, a pool, gym and fitness center.

From an investment stand point, Fairview is a smart choice. When I-840 is complete, the city is expected to explode with growth. Approximately 200 acres near where state Route 840 crosses over Highway 100 in Fairview is among nine properties recently presented to the land assessment committee for the future expansion of Columbia State Community College’s Williamson County campus.

Lots of great things are happening in our city worthy of checking out. Good luck on your search!

Old 05-01-2010, 11:23 AM

58 posts, read 176,685 times
Thanks. This is all very helpful. Very stressful to move to a new state from far away. Everyone on this board has been great. With luck; we will be singing Rocky Top soon and wearing orange!

Old 05-14-2010, 07:31 AM

46 posts, read 152,548 times
Curious to know how Fairview is for small businesses. Does Fairview have dentists, chiropractors, medical doctor, movie theatre, places and things for teenagers to do?

Old 05-14-2010, 08:08 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,920,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drskinneymoon View Post
Curious to know how Fairview is for small businesses. Does Fairview have dentists, chiropractors, medical doctor, movie theatre, places and things for teenagers to do?
Here is a link to a list of Fairview Chamber of Commerce members. You can scan the list and even enter the addresses into Google maps to see where they are in relation to Fairview. Some are in Franklin or Nashville.
Chamber Members - Fairview Area Chamber of Commerce

Things for teenagers to do? Hmmmmm.
Not specifically designated for teens. I mean, the area is more rural. They have a recreation center that is part of the county parks and rec system. It offers stuff sometimes. There's not even a movie theater there. The closest is in Bellevue or Nashville. The closest mall, CoolSprings Galleria, is 40-45 minutes away.
The majority of teens I know from Fairview do a combination of school, part-time jobs, church activities, sports, hunting/farming/outdoors and hanging out with friends.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:39 PM

46 posts, read 152,548 times
We are coming to look at Franklin again in June and will make a point to drive to Fairview to take a look. Thanks everyone for your input.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:54 PM

43 posts, read 104,790 times
Wsmn4life is correct. However, I'll point out that via the I-840 interchange we are only 20 min. from Dickson which has a movie theater and bowling alley. Dickson is also the home of the Renaissance Center which is an amazing arts and technology education and performing arts center. Check it out at The Renaissance Center - The New Shape of Learning - A non-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of education in the Arts and Sciences. Located in Dickson, Tennessee.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:29 PM

43 posts, read 146,242 times
It doesn't take me 45 minutes to get to Cool Springs from Fairview. The schools are getting better as more educated people are moving in. We tend to have higher standards for our children, I agree. I'm not sure about the high school just yet. They tend to have a lot of marriages straight out of school and college doesn't seem to be a priority. That's all changing though, I believe.

There are still a few people who want Fairview to stay small but in all honesty, there's no way they can stop the growth. Just like Franklin 10 or 15 years ago, when people smell a good investment, they come running. It paid off in Franklin and Spring Hill and now it's time for Fairview. I find the people for the most part to be extremely friendly. The teens that I know hang out in the Bellevue area. I think you should drive out here. When you think that it takes about 20 minutes to get to Bellevue (Nashville) on a road without traffic, and compare that to a larger city where it takes you 30 minutes to travel 3 miles because of traffic, you realize it's worth the sacrifice! Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville