Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2007, 10:47 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,511,189 times

Advertisements

My son is starting MTSU in August as a Freshman. He will be living in a dorm (Swan Hall) his first year. I would love any tips and advice on anything and everything MTSU/M'fboro related. Also, my son has worked for 2 years (since he turned 16) at Sears, first in general sales and the last year in Electronics. He will be looking for a part time job there. Please let me know where to look, where not to look.

Also, we will be going June 18-20 for Freshman/Parent Orientation. Which hotel is best for us to stay at? I need to make reservations asap.

Thank you all very much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2007, 02:37 PM

356 posts, read 1,129,556 times
I went to MTSU in the late 80's and early 90's and had a blast (as well as getting an education). I still have friends there and go there about once a month. I could be wrong, but I never felt unsafe in ANY part of the Boro. Lot's of the college students work in restaurants and I made enough $ waiting tables to spend a summer in Central America. He can also look at on campus jobs or at the Mall. I knew some guys that worked for Nissan parking cars - and for college students they made decent money.
As far as hotels go there are quite a few right off exit 78 on I-24.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:52 PM

120 posts, read 458,962 times
WELCOME to the Raider family! I'm still at MTSU (only one semester left, thank you Lord!)!!

Part time work is easy to get near MTSU! We have a Sears (I do believe) in the mall (off of Old Fort). There are tons of restaurants, shops, book stores, gyms etc that are always hiring students!

Campus jobs are available too! I personally wouldn't want to work on campus, but since he'll live there it might work better!

Give your son a bit of advice for me (I lived on campus my freshman year too): Get to campus early on Sunday (if he leaves for the weekend), find the nearest parking spot and LEAVE your car there for as long as possible! He'll soon find out that parking, um to put it politely, sucks! Also, he'll get a green parking pass, and he can ONLY park in the designated spots. MTSU loves handing out parking tickets and they rack up fast!

As for hotels: there aren't that many right by campus. You'll most likely have to stay off of Thompson lane (there are new ones!) or by the Target off of Old Fort. We have tons: Holiday Inn, two new ones I can't think of, Super 8, Double Tree etc.

Hope that helps!

Old 06-10-2007, 09:53 PM

120 posts, read 458,962 times
Here is a link that may help:
http://career.web.mtsu.edu/

Old 06-11-2007, 04:10 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,511,189 times
Thank you all! Cheers and points all around! Anyone else feel free to continue to post info. Thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville