Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2009, 02:10 AM

80 posts, read 312,606 times

Advertisements

How plentiful are children's activities in Nashville, and what types of things are there? (anywhere in the 1-3yo range)

Specifically, things like... zoos, museums, theaters, festivals, parks, community activities, classes, concerts, etc.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 04:02 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,204,585 times
There's the Nashville Zoo, the Nashville Children's Theatre, programs at the Nashville Symphony (I think), the Adventure Science Center, a kid's hands-on art room at the Frist (free admission for children under 18), art programs for youngsters at Centennial Park and at Cheekwood, The W. O, Smith Community Music School (primarily for lower income families, I believe), various sports programs (soccer is big, of course, but there's also baseball, football, and other sports), nature program at the parks, fishing events for kids, a wave park, large city parks, state parks, the two large lakes (Priest and Old Hickory), etc., etc., as well as various adult activities where children are also welcome such as theatre, festivals, and concerts in the park. Overall, it's a pretty kid friendly / family friendly area.

I don't have kids, but I don't hear any of my friends who do complaining that there's nothing for their children to do. (I do hear them complaining that they have to go to yet another soccer game. ;-)

Old 10-07-2009, 05:11 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,543,931 times
I think Alleycat hit most of the big ones.
There lots of programs around designed for the under 3 crowd like Music Together (we love this class Music City Music Together - Welcome) There are also gyms that do large motor skill classes for that age, arts classes, etc.

You might want to pick up a copy of Nashville Parent. It can be found at almost any doctor's office, Publix etc. It is free and full of ads for upcoming events and classes.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:08 AM

297 posts, read 1,078,429 times
The YMCA's are also very good for kids. Believe it or not. Unlike in other cities, the YMCA's in Nashville (and surrounding suburbs) are really nice and well-kept. They offer many activities for children (i.e. swimming lessons).

Old 10-08-2009, 12:18 AM

80 posts, read 312,606 times
Thank you all for the replies. My wife has begun researching based on your suggestions, and there appears to be no shortage of things to do. This is a major selling point for us. We've lived in several different cities, and we've seen both extremes of lots to do and nothing to do. Thanks again!

Old 10-09-2009, 12:03 PM

85 posts, read 418,412 times
The bookstores and libraries have free story times. In particular, the main Nashville Public Library has GREAT children's activities.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:46 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,204,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imogene View Post
The bookstores and libraries have free story times. In particular, the main Nashville Public Library has GREAT children's activities.
That's a good point. Some of the branch library have children's events from time to time as well.

We do have a pretty good library system for a city our size.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:21 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
The Tennessee State Museum has some fun activities for children from time to time. This past summer they had looming and spinnng activities for kids to try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville