Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 12:17 PM

5 posts, read 10,123 times

Advertisements

Hi all - my son will be moving to Nashville this fall and he is looking for a place to buy - single family or condo is ok - up to about $100,000. He is out of the country right now so I am doing some advance work for him. Can anyone give any advice on areas in Nashville where he should concentrate his search? Safe ones - remember, I'm his mom!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 12:36 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,211,854 times
That's going to be a little tough in Nashville in that price range. Assuming he buys in one of the nicer, safer areas, he's going to have to make a choice between a small condo, or one that's not quite as nice as some others; or else moving further out. There are a few areas that are less expensive and are becoming nicer areas (for example, some of the areas over in East Nashville); would that be a choice?

Does he know where he'll be working? If not, what career is he in (sometimes someone can make an educated guess about where most of the jobs are for some types of businesses).

Last edited by alleycat; 04-20-2008 at 01:11 PM..

Old 04-20-2008, 01:16 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,366,553 times
I don't know where he will be working , but Smyrna is off I-24 and convienent to both Nashville and Murfreesboro.

Smyrna, TN, Real Estate Listings and Smyrna, TN Homes for Sale - Realtor.com

Diane G

Old 04-20-2008, 01:37 PM

He's going into a PhD program at Peabody and I don't think he will have a car (at least he doesn't at this point) so it would be helpful if he were near public transportation (is that possible). I was looking on the MLS site for condos and found a number of them above Old Hickory Rd along the Edmondson Pike area - they are small but that's ok - how is that general area? East Nashville would probably be fine but not sure where over there is best. Also I don't know where Smyrna is but we are open to anything reasonable.

Old 04-20-2008, 01:44 PM

If he's going to Peabody, he might be able to find a small "student condo" in the area. I think there's a few that have been build specifically for the student market since many people these days buys condos for their kids while they're going to school. Without a car, I would certainly make an exhaustive search in that area before looking further out (I might even think or renting for six month while keeping an eye out for a condo if he still wants to buy rather than rent). Everything he needs would then be within walking distance, and it's along a main bus route.

Old 04-20-2008, 01:54 PM

'he might be able to find a small "student condo" in the area'

Do you know where they are? And do you think the areas I mentioned in my last post are too far or just not suitable?

Really appreciate all your help.

Old 04-20-2008, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2ed2e View Post
'he might be able to find a small "student condo" in the area'

Do you know where they are? And do you think the areas I mentioned in my last post are too far or just not suitable?

Really appreciate all your help.
There's condos all around the Vanderbilt area (some are expensive, and some are more reasonable). You might first look on the bulletin board at the student center. Someone might very well have one up for sale here at the end of the school year. For $100K they won't be big, fancy condos, but they should be serviceable. You might also put Bellevue on your list. There are some condos in the area that might be in your price range (they are not very attractive looking on the outside, but they're nice enough on the inside). To and from Bellevue to Vanderbilt is fairly easy.

I would probably take Smyrna off the list; there's really no good reason to include it and travel can be slow to and from that area during rush hour. There is a lot of traffic between Nashville and Murfreesboro (Smyrna is in between).

Old 04-20-2008, 05:31 PM

153 posts, read 689,436 times
As the others have mentioned, for 100k, you will sacrifice either size or neighborhood 'quality'. My wife and I bought a nice house about a mile north of vanderbilt while we are here for our PhDs, but the neighborhood is more questionable than some others. However, in the two years we've been here, we haven't had any problems. If anything, everybody has been quite friendly, and the neighborhood appears to be experiencing an upswing. There are currently a couple houses listed near us for between 80 and 120k. And of course, we're close enough to walk to Vanderbilt as well. If you're interested, we're near Pearl Cohn High School and Meharry Med School.

Old 04-20-2008, 05:46 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,366,553 times
Here are condos near Peabody. They may be a bit over the price range, but could be negotiable.

This 1 bedroom 1 bathroom Condo/Townhouse located at 900-19th Ave S, VANDERBILT, NASHVILLE, Tennessee is presented by Sarah Rummage Realtor, Broker, E-PRO of American Realty Resources.

Diane G

Old 04-20-2008, 07:31 PM

Thanks so very much to all of you - it's been a great help to get this feedback - we have some neighborhoods to start with and the suggestion about looking on the bulletin board at school was also handy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville