Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2019, 04:11 PM

38 posts, read 61,320 times

Advertisements

My husband and I, along with our young children, are contemplating a move to the Franklin area from the Boise, Idaho area. We actually really enjoy where we live, but the job market is very limited for my husband, and the Nashville area seems to have many more jobs in his industry that appeal to him. My husband has family in Tennessee, so we'd be closer to grandparents, great-grandparents, cousins, aunts, etc.

If you have any familiarity with the Boise area, would you recommend a move to Franklin? What would be some of the challenges we'd face? We're Christian, family-oriented, politically moderate, so I think we'd mesh fairly well. Can you name some pros/cons for someone moving from the West?

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2019, 05:28 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,550,982 times
We looked at moving to Boise from Franklin a couple years ago. Franklin is pretty but it doesn't have nearly the outdoor lifestyle that Boise has. I think you would be fine in Franklin. We moved from Franklin to Nashville and I'm happier but I think that's because I'm stuck in traffic less and I have more trees.

Old 10-04-2019, 08:04 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,836,793 times
I lived in Boise for two years and I am from the Northwest (Oregonian). Be aware that Nashville is not cheap, although Boise is starting to get very expensive too with all the California and even Seattle transplants now bringing the "Big Money" into Idaho. You will not find the type of amazing wilderness 90 minutes out of Nashville like you can find out of Boise, but I find the scenery around Nashville to be much nicer than the dry and barren scenery of the Treasure Valley. But, for serious mountain hiking and adventures you will need to drive 3 hours east to the Smokies or about 90 minutes south to Chattanooga area (which is gorgeous).

I live out near Mt. Juliet area and it is much cheaper and it feels more Southern and country like than the city of Nashville proper. Franklin is like the Beverly Hills of Nashville area, although there is a lot of big money in Nashville, much more than Boise. Consider it a much more wealthy version of the North End neighborhood of Boise. If you are a Christian with "moderate" politics you will probably do well anywhere in outer Nashville area. Franklin is expensive, but if you have lots of cash you probably would like it. I like living east of Nashville, because I am just that much closer to the Smokies. If you want to be around churches, where I live is certainly the Bible Belt. I just went for some random BBQ last night and a whole group of religious Christians had live gospel music from a somewhat famous Christian gospel singer. He was really good, but you can imagine the shock of a Jewish guy walking into a random BBQ joint only to be greeted by a room full of religious Christians who tell me to take a seat and then I get to hear the guy sing the most tear-filled and heart-warming song of his love for Jesus. I actually really enjoyed his music; but wow, umm, I definitely had to keep my mouth shut in that room of being a heathen that I am. It just goes to show you how strong of a Christian culture they have here.

Old 10-05-2019, 06:44 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,095,911 times
BEVERLY HILLS???????

Old 10-05-2019, 10:03 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,746,686 times
I would say that Brentwood is closer to a Beverly Hills feel.

Franklin still has seedy parts. Brentwood has none.

Old 10-05-2019, 10:41 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,836,793 times
Didn't know that about Franklin. It looked upscale when I drove down to shop at Whole Foods. Many people have told me its very expensive to live there. However, I barely saw much of the town. I guess Brentwood would have been a better analogy. The Green Hills and Belle Meade areas look very Old Money and upscale, but I would have compared those to Bel-Air .

Old 10-11-2019, 09:01 PM

97 posts, read 245,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
We looked at moving to Boise from Franklin a couple years ago. Franklin is pretty but it doesn't have nearly the outdoor lifestyle that Boise has. I think you would be fine in Franklin. We moved from Franklin to Nashville and I'm happier but I think that's because I'm stuck in traffic less and I have more trees.
I’d move to Idaho in a hot minute if we didn’t have family ties in this area. I LOVE Idaho.

Old 10-21-2019, 12:50 PM

38 posts, read 61,320 times
Thanks for your input! We aren't outdoorsy people, so not having the vast Idaho wilderness nearby does not bother us at all. We visited family in the Knoxville area and really loved the Smokies, but we prefer the Nashville area because of job opportunities.

In my research I've noticed that the crime stats are substantially higher in Nashville compared to Boise. How does that affect the surrounding areas? Are there many seedy parts in the metro?

Also, how are the drivers there? We're so fortunate to have pretty polite drivers in Idaho.

Old 10-21-2019, 02:51 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,001,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Songbird16 View Post
Thanks for your input! We aren't outdoorsy people, so not having the vast Idaho wilderness nearby does not bother us at all. We visited family in the Knoxville area and really loved the Smokies, but we prefer the Nashville area because of job opportunities.

In my research I've noticed that the crime stats are substantially higher in Nashville compared to Boise. How does that affect the surrounding areas? Are there many seedy parts in the metro?

Also, how are the drivers there? We're so fortunate to have pretty polite drivers in Idaho.
There are a lot of NASCAR wannabes here. Driving can be a very intense experience and, while there are plenty of polite drivers, people do speed and tailgate. There are some who are polite to the point of being dangerous and will stop in a traffic lane to let someone turn left out of a parking lot across two or three lanes of traffic.

Anyway, driving is a negative here.

There is a youth crime problem in Nashville. There are a lot of car burglaries and car thefts, and a fair amount of drug-related and domestic shootings. Those typically happen in the same general areas, but the vehicle thefts and burglaries are spreading out into the target-rich suburbs.

Even so, Middle TN is generally a safe place. You should not have a problem doing your normal routine if you are street smart, keep doors locked and for Pete's sake don't leave purses, briefcases or guns in the car, locked or unlocked.

Old 10-30-2019, 05:14 PM

384 posts, read 229,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Songbird16 View Post

Seedy parts of Davidson County? Anything near one of the older housing projects. Places like Madison with lots of carjackings by teens. Antioch still has a concerning variety of crimes.

Google up "Nashville-Davidson Crime Map" and see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville