Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2014, 03:44 PM

12 posts, read 18,437 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

Coming to Nashville from Chevy Chase, MD (just outside of DC) and we are considering Lockeland Springs. Looks like a great area with people who are involved in the community. I am fascinated how well the Elementary School is doing.

The area seems safe relative to other areas of East Nashville, but I want to know what to think of the following activities:

1. Mom walking at 7am with baby and dogs

2. Mom running at 6am alone (3-4 mile loop)

3. Mom at home during week alone (dad on travel)

4. Food shopping We like to shop at Whole Foods 1-2x per week.

5. Hanging out on front porch at 9pm relaxing

6. Walking to restaurants in 5 points etc.

7. 5 year old walking to school

We know there are areas in Nashville that are safer, yet we are interested in what seems like a cool community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 08:38 PM

126 posts, read 332,131 times
We are moving from NY-metro area and lived in NYC for 10 yrs. We visited Lockeland Springs and while we saw how developed it is and the potential, I can't say I'd feel safe. I love the energy, but with 2 young kids, when push comes to shove, I look at the crime map and it looks as bright as Times Square - SO much more crime concentrated in East Nashville still. Crime/diversity doesn't necessarily scare me, but not being able to walk when I want to or feel on edge all the time would bother me.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:06 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,738,916 times
Are you sure that you were in Lockeland Springs?

The crime map that I'm looking at shows 1 assault in Five Points. That's it.

Criminal Court Clerk Crime Map

Old 06-21-2014, 10:22 PM

914 posts, read 1,982,701 times
I would feel very safe in Lockeland Springs. I would feel very comfortable with doing all of the things you mentioned with the exception of having a 5 year old walk to school, but I wouldn't want a 5 year old walking alone in any school district in the US.

Crime maps are not a good way to judge the likelihood that you'll be affected by crime because it does not take into account density and crime rate. Times Square (as mentioned above) is a good example of this. Times Square is probably the safest single block in all of NYC in terms of individual risk. There are so many people that live/work/visit Times Square that the chances of any one person becoming a victim of a crime are exceedingly small despite there being all sorts of crimes reported there. There could be one robbery per day in Times Square that would make a crime map look absolutely horrible, but if you consider that 100,000 people visit it daily it suddenly becomes clear that the risk is very small for any one person.

Lockeland Springs, while nowhere near as dense as Times Square, is significantly more dense than many of the neighborhoods that would compare to it in suburban counties or in more suburban areas of Davidson County.

Additionally, if you are really worried about risk to your life (and you aren't a drug dealer) then focus on decreasing the number of miles you drive as you will be far more likely to die in a car crash than you would be to die at the hands of another human being.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:26 PM

12 posts, read 18,437 times
I have read the crime maps and while they get you some good information, it's hard to get a gut feeling of safety without talking to people who live in a neighborhood. Maps have facts, not opinions. ;-)

How would three moms talking in front of their houses would answer these questions?

As an example, I was in a small town 30 miles outside of Baltimore today. As I was leaving the restaurant, a couple walked up to a guy riding a bike with a backpack and bought drugs from him in the middle of the street. A third woman with her head shrouded in a hoodie also purchased from the same guy.

I could care less what they are doing. Do I wonder if they will rob me after dark to score some money for drugs? Yes.

After living in an area, you get a feel for safety. That's the opinion I am after.

Old 06-22-2014, 05:48 AM

933 posts, read 2,741,221 times
I've known people who have been doing what you want to do for the last 10 years+. Lockeland Springs is a great neighborhood and has a small town feel to it. You would also be close to Eastland Cafe, Rosepepper, Silly Goose, Wild Cow, Jeni's Ice Cream, Ugly Mugs, TwoTen Jack (Ramen House), Climb Nashville, Pomodoro East, Family Wash...March Edgerton is also getting ready to start building the third phase of the Walden development right now as we speak. There is no Whole Foods in East Nashville but there is the Turnip Truck in the Five Points area. There's also a lot of neat events going on all the time. Just walked to the East Side Hootenanny last night. The Tomato Art Fest is later this summer.

It's funny, East Nashville is the only side of town that seems to get thrown in one big generalized neighborhood. This is a very large area with many neighborhoods. The crime rate in just about all areas of East Nashville is dropping rapidly and has been for several years. Most of the red areas you see on the crime map are concentrated public housing or privately owned apartments that still accept HUD housing vouchers (pretty sure none are in Lockeland Springs). Also, most of the crime seems to be between known parties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binkbok View Post
Hi folks,

Coming to Nashville from Chevy Chase, MD (just outside of DC) and we are considering Lockeland Springs. Looks like a great area with people who are involved in the community. I am fascinated how well the Elementary School is doing.

The area seems safe relative to other areas of East Nashville, but I want to know what to think of the following activities:

1. Mom walking at 7am with baby and dogs

2. Mom running at 6am alone (3-4 mile loop)

3. Mom at home during week alone (dad on travel)

4. Food shopping We like to shop at Whole Foods 1-2x per week.

5. Hanging out on front porch at 9pm relaxing

6. Walking to restaurants in 5 points etc.

7. 5 year old walking to school

We know there are areas in Nashville that are safer, yet we are interested in what seems like a cool community.

Last edited by yank283; 06-22-2014 at 06:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville