Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2011, 02:24 PM

39 posts, read 91,554 times

Advertisements

Do mums do well in the fall/winter here? Can they be planted in the ground or do they need to remain in their pots that they are sold in? When do they start selling them in Nashville? DO they sell them in Nashville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 02:37 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,487,582 times
They definitely do sell them and you'll start seeing them in September probably. All the home improvement stores and grocery stores have them and you'll likely also see them at roadside pumpkin patches too.

I've only planted mums in containers (removing them from the plastic container, but putting them into a larger planter), but I have seen people plant them in the ground. They usually last until the first hard frost in November/December. But probably November...

Old 07-25-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
They definitely do sell them and you'll start seeing them in September probably. All the home improvement stores and grocery stores have them and you'll likely also see them at roadside pumpkin patches too.

I've only planted mums in containers (removing them from the plastic container, but putting them into a larger planter), but I have seen people plant them in the ground. They usually last until the first hard frost in November/December. But probably November...
Thank you.

Speaking of pumpkins. Are there any pumpkin patches you would recommend where you can pick your own?

How about fruits? I've seen online that there are several places where you can pick your own fruit but I do not know which one is better and why.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:22 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,487,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleNewbie View Post
Thank you.
Anytime.

Quote:
Speaking of pumpkins. Are there any pumpkin patches you would recommend where you can pick your own?
Definitely. Gentry Farm in Franklin is always popular for pumpkins. They also have hayrides, a corn maze...lots of other fun fall stuff. I'd also recommend Honeysuckle Hill Farm in Coopertown to the north of town. Same kind of thing...pumpkins, mums, hayrides, corn maze. I think Gentry has it down a little better than Honeysuckle Hill, but both are great choices.

Quote:
How about fruits? I've seen online that there are several places where you can pick your own fruit but I do not know which one is better and why.
I've only been to one (Bradley Country Acres) north of town...they're normally fantastic but this year they had a herbicide mishap and it destroyed their strawberry, blackberry, and peaches. Hopefully someone else will have some more insight into some of the others around the area.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
Anytime.

Definitely. Gentry Farm in Franklin is always popular for pumpkins. They also have hayrides, a corn maze...lots of other fun fall stuff. I'd also recommend Honeysuckle Hill Farm in Coopertown to the north of town. Same kind of thing...pumpkins, mums, hayrides, corn maze. I think Gentry has it down a little better than Honeysuckle Hill, but both are great choices.

I've only been to one (Bradley Country Acres) north of town...they're normally fantastic but this year they had a herbicide mishap and it destroyed their strawberry, blackberry, and peaches. Hopefully someone else will have some more insight into some of the others around the area.
Thanks Don.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:47 PM

164 posts, read 398,964 times
I like the Welcome to Pick Tennessee Products. web page. They also have a facebook page.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyjo143 View Post
I like the Welcome to Pick Tennessee Products. web page. They also have a facebook page.
That is awesome, thank you so much! And there are even links for us to try horseback riding!

Old 07-27-2011, 05:11 AM

597 posts, read 2,111,751 times
And one thing about mums. Most will winter over if you cut off the dead and mulch over them. The key to this is having them planted in the ground and don't be afraid to cut them back often until mid- to late July. And no light trimming, WHACK 'EM, down to about 3-4 inches at most. That will cause them to get bushy, and look like the ones at the garden centers...and subsequent years are free. And, you can, during up to late spring you can stick the hardier cuttings into a good mix of potting soil and they just take off and give you more. I'll admit though, I do pick up a few for my large planters when the time comes. The plants love it hot, but the blooms do MUCH better after the weather cools. Mix that with a few interesting pumpkins and, EEEK, a scarecrow and you're all set.

Just took this picture of a little patch. You can see how it's branching out. Should be full and nice by fall. No more cutting this season.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:09 PM

159 posts, read 333,882 times
Yes, mums do very well in the ground here. I cut mine back to nothing a month ago. Just got back from a 2 wk vacation and they look great. I did keep them watered well, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville