Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 01:47 PM

250 posts, read 463,981 times

Advertisements

...in which one popular song is posted and forum members can post their thoughts & memories of the song, where they were/what they were doing when they first heard the song, high school/college, whatever.. Discussion of each song can continue for several posts (up to maybe 10 depending on response) then we switch to another song someone wants to discuss and continue on. Choose from most any time period you want (60's up to present day preferably). First up for discussion:

Heart of Gold - Neil Young

I remember this was a major radio hit back in the summer of '72, my first time hearing solo Neil Young - I only knew him with his work in CSN & Y prior to this acoustic rock classic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 02:04 PM

3,564 posts, read 5,515,554 times
Well this was obviously before my time but I am a big NY fan. I never listened to him before my 2nd year in college. My neighbor hung out with us a lot and I think she was put on to him by her dad (a huge NY fan). So she would play him every once in a while. Thought it was OK at the time. This and Like a Hurricane were two she played a lot and that got me to listen to more of his songs and find some I like (Hey Hey My My, Ohio, Southern Man, Keep on Rockin', Cinnamon Girl, Harvest Moon, Down By the River, etc)

Old 07-09-2009, 03:27 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,279,886 times
Sounds too nasally and whiney for my taste, I respect NY as a writer and musician, but I just can't get past the voice, a lot like Bob Dylan and Rush(for me at least)

They used to play it a lot on a now defunct radio station when I was in high school.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:56 AM

263 posts, read 251,178 times
I guess I'm much older than the last two posters. I loved this song the first time I heard it. Have never gotten tired of it, but, it has never been an over-played song anywhere I've lived. Very soulful. Picked up on that at twelve. Love Dylan too! Subterranean Homesick Blues+++ Rush 2112. One of the best concerts I ever went to.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:34 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecvMatt View Post
Sounds too nasally and whiney for my taste, I respect NY as a writer and musician, but I just can't get past the voice, a lot like Bob Dylan and Rush(for me at least)

They used to play it a lot on a now defunct radio station when I was in high school.
Neil Young too nasally and whiny? Nel Young is an azzhole off stage but on stage his voice is soft as silk. He has a uniqueness to his voice which I have no description for but it's not what you said. Bob Dylan and Getty Lee are opposites but even they are not naslly or whiny. Bob Dylan had no vocal skills but his music and lyrics made up for it 10 fold. Getty Lee is one of the greatest vocals in rock history. I aways wished I could hear a duet with Getty Lee and Robert Plant.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:00 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
I was in high school when Heart of Gold was released, but was already an established fan, I had his first eponymous solo album as well as After the Gold Rush.
I remember all the girls singing along to it at parties.
It's not my favorite, but I like it.
I can well understand why some don't like his voice.
It's fine with me, though, and I could listen to his guitar just about all night.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:05 AM

2,039 posts, read 3,279,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
It's fine with me, though, and I could listen to his guitar just about all night.
He is an awesome player.

and, Desertsun, it's just my opinion, but, oddly enough, after saying all that about songwriters with terrible voices(again, my opinion) I love to listen to Willie Nelson. I am confused now!

Old 07-10-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecvMatt View Post
He is an awesome player.

and, Desertsun, it's just my opinion, but, oddly enough, after saying all that about songwriters with terrible voices(again, my opinion) I love to listen to Willie Nelson. I am confused now!
Willie Nelson also has a great unique voice. Dont be confused!!

Old 07-12-2009, 03:58 PM

250 posts, read 463,981 times
Okay, another one for discussion...

More Than A Feeling - Boston

I remember hearing this when it was brand new back in '76 and thinking- "wow, that's got a very distinctive sound!"

Old 07-12-2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricklh View Post
Okay, another one for discussion...

More Than A Feeling - Boston

I remember hearing this when it was brand new back in '76 and thinking- "wow, that's got a very distinctive sound!"
I miss Brad Delp. Why did he have to kill himself? Boston went like a dozen years between albums? Still a record no one will beat. And the second one was a disapointment and quickly forgotten. But More Then A Feeling will always be one of the greatest albums and still gets lots of airplay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music