Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 07:29 AM

4,418 posts, read 9,165,944 times

Advertisements

The only band to effectively make the grunge style of music were Nirvana, The Breeders, and the Pixies who really created the genre.. Soundgarden and Pearl Jam were never grunge. Alice 'n' Chains were decent, but not my thing. Other grunge bands like Seven Mary Three, Sponge, and countless others were just awful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 10:18 AM

38,933 posts, read 24,007,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
I hope we keep waiting. I'm good for waiting another decade or two on new Limp Bizkit.
Judging by their "new" song I would say I want to see what the entire album is.

Quote:
Similarly, is there any way to UN-release Guns 'n' Roses Chinese Democracy?
It wasn't THAT bad of album. But it wasn't as good as the stuff from when Slash was around.

Quote:
Boys II Men didn't play any music at all. They vocalized and danced to a bunch of bubblegum soul-pop created by a bunch of studio producers and writers which was played by studio musicians and computers.

That doesn't disqualify it as music or make it invalid as entertainment if that's a person's taste, but it's a far cry from actual bands who actually play instruments and actually write their own material.
There's always a market for R&B groups (look at Jodeici, All for One and B2K) and people don't mind vocalist whether it is rock, pop or urban.

Quote:
And no, I'm not the huge grunge fan either. Not even back in the day.
Grunge was so influential and still is today. Many acts are derivative of grunge similar to early heavy metal in the 80's and 90's. I mean sure everyone craps on the bands like Candlebox, Creed, Daughtry, Live, Nickelback

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
The only band to effectively make the grunge style of music were Nirvana, The Breeders, and the Pixies who really created the genre.. Soundgarden and Pearl Jam were never grunge. Alice 'n' Chains were decent, but not my thing. Other grunge bands like Seven Mary Three, Sponge, and countless others were just awful.
Soundgarden and Alice in Chains were grunge but were much more than that. Pearl Jam evolved over time into more alternative than just grunge (though that could be because like Nirvana, they got tired of how corporate the look of grunge got with the post-grunge bands that were given the sound similar to how hard rock bands become hair bands in the 80's even if that was not their original sound.

Old 11-02-2013, 10:45 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,352,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
The only band to effectively make the grunge style of music were Nirvana, The Breeders, and the Pixies who really created the genre...
Personally, I think "grunge" was "made" by a bunch of guys in suits working at A&R departments of a few record labels in an attempt to scoop up a few bands with a regional or stylistic similarities and market the general, overall look and sound to a bunch of kids and young adults.

It's just rock music.

People could argue all day about who is true grunge or punk rock or alt or indie or whatever, but that's silly.

I do, however, like a lot of Nirvana's material (and saw them a couple times) and was a big Breeders and Pixies fan. Still like all those bands fine, just don't listen that much anymore.

Old 11-02-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Personally, I think "grunge" was "made" by a bunch of guys in suits working at A&R departments of a few record labels in an attempt to scoop up a few bands with a regional or stylistic similarities and market the general, overall look and sound to a bunch of kids and young adults.

It's just rock music.

People could argue all day about who is true grunge or punk rock or alt or indie or whatever, but that's silly.

I do, however, like a lot of Nirvana's material (and saw them a couple times) and was a big Breeders and Pixies fan. Still like all those bands fine, just don't listen that much anymore.
I think the image of grunge is an A&R thing (just like hair metal before it and emo after it.) The sound was was made by the bands, the image became an A&R cliche like so many other scenes.

I think the genre deal is fluid for the most part. I don't try to get hung up on it myself but some bands have distinct sounds through their entire careers (like Pearl Jam) while others (like Suicidal Tendencies) bounce between genres.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:05 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,369,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Music in the 60's, 70's and 80's was easily superior to the 90's. If there is a revival, people are simply settling for less. Boys II Men played good music in the 90's, but grunge groups with far less talent got more publicity.
90's music was still pretty good. The golden age of hip hop. In the 1990's rap was about dealing with poverty and violence, and that lead to good music because it was created from the soul and the heart. 21st century rap is bragging about how much p*ssy you get and how big your limo is. A lot of rappers now write songs using their wallets and their d*cks, and it leads to awful music.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:53 AM

15,408 posts, read 6,228,208 times
I still think that the classic rock from the 60's to the 80's and the outstanding Motown/soul of the mid-60's to early 70's era outclass anything that happened in the 90's. The 90's music may be OK. Having spent a lot of time listening to the three previous decades and the high standard that was set, it is difficult to regard 90's music highly.

Then you have the iconic performers like Beatles, Paul McCartney after Beatles, Dylan, Rolling Stones, The Who and several others from those eras that will not likely be matched. The only real weakness of the three decades prior to the 90's was when disco dominated and that was really just from about 1977-1980, then MTV occurred and rock became more influential again very quickly.

I am not saying there is no good music from that decade and at least it is better than the current era (2000 to today). Rap was better back then (though I am not a fan). MC Hammer and LL Cool J had some good tunes, though.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:26 AM

2,238 posts, read 3,334,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
After 2006 there was a small 80's revival when Livin on a Prayer, It's the End of the World As We Know It, and Don't Stop Believin were being played on many music stations.

Is there gonna be something similar soon, but this time with the 1990's? Im starting to hear Nirvana and Boyz II Men a lot more often, so I think the early 90's are starting to sip in
Mariah Carey incorporated many aspects of the the 1960s, 1970s, 1980s into her music. She has done that since her 1990 debut.

Many artists like J Lo tried to incorporate 80s music and samples into their music.

The Glitter album by Mariah Carey pays homage to 1980s music and is a great effort and release, that many overlook.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
Mariah Carey incorporated many aspects of the the 1960s, 1970s, 1980s into her music. She has done that since her 1990 debut.

Many artists like J Lo tried to incorporate 80s music and samples into their music.

The Glitter album by Mariah Carey pays homage to 1980s music and is a great effort and release, that many overlook.
If only it wasn't tied to that stupid movie, I think it would be better. I remember Loverboy (the lead single) being a good song. I have only listened to Music Box in its entirity and that was pretty good.

J Lo's first album was the best, after that she went downhill IMO.

The issue with 90's non rock is I think the pop had a limited shelflife compared to say the 80's new wave inspired pop which has lived on.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:05 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,957,020 times
I think there is a strong thread of 90s revivalism in a lot of the best recent pop music out of the UK. Something like this magnificent track, for instance:

Rudimental - Baby (feat. MNEK & Sinead Harnett) - YouTube

This is not my own idea. I've linked to this before, but it's a pretty good overview of what I'm talking about:

UK dance music is back

Old 11-07-2013, 09:04 PM

428 posts, read 446,601 times
Gimme some of that "junk" fellers....

Why that's a Lynyrd Skynyrd, Van Halen, Blackfoot, Metallica good ole time.....

Creed- Weathered - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music