Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 02:49 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,476,830 times

Advertisements

I'm interested to see if we have any blues fans out there, and what y'all enjoy listening to. Old blues, new blues, blues rock, blues-jazz fusion.. whatever. I'm always on the lookout for new music. I'm 23, so I realize there's a lot out there I haven't heard.

I've listened to older stuff - B.B. King, John Lee Hooker, Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf.

But I personally think that the late 60's and early 70's were the pinnacle, with guys like Duane Allman, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page.

J.J. Cale is one of my favorites, along with Taj Mahal, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Derek Trucks, and Kenny Wayne Shepherd.

Y'all got any more suggestions? Favorites?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 05:26 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
Y'all got any more suggestions? Favorites?
Bonnie Raitt

Old 07-09-2007, 06:15 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,908,132 times
I love the Blues!!...and I think I have a thing for Texas guys who sing the Blues ...

www.myspace.com/hamiltonloomis

Hamilton Loomis

www.myspace.com/wesjeans

Wes Jeans (broken link)

Old 07-09-2007, 11:35 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,935,813 times
Seems that Cream, Zeppelin, the Doors and a host of others loved to do covers of Willie Dixon tunes. That may be someone you would like to look up in addition to your other excellent selections. I'm not an expert on the blues, but I'd also suggest Lightnin' Hopkins and John Hammond. Google the name Holger Petersen who has a Saturday night show on CBC radio. Some really amazing stuff there for sure - new and old - complete with very intelligent introductions, plus it's available on the net!

Old 07-10-2007, 03:36 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Anonymous, you got good taste, kid.
Love Taj. Loved Duane Allman. Love everyone in your post.
The band Canned Heat did a great boogie album with John Lee Hooker.
I especially appreciate the talent of J. J. Cale. Saw him years ago and his style is unforgettable. His newest album with Eric Clapton is outstanding. What a songwriter.

I also enjoy some of young Jonny Lang's stuff.

And if any of y'all get a chance to see this guy, it's worth your while.
He's got to be getting on in years, I first saw him when I was just a 20-something, but then I saw BB King back then too, and he is still playing. Anyway, I really liked this guy:

Eagle Park Slim

Old 07-10-2007, 03:56 AM

I enjoy listening to slide guitar. (Duane! ) And Bonnie. Johnny Winter.

Wikipedia says that the style originated with black blues artists such as Robert Johnson, Elmore James, and Son House.

When they are in a bluesy mood, the White Stripes play some raw, authentic blues-rock: Death Letter is an example, along with Ball and Biscuit.
Catch Hell on the newest album.
Jack White just wails.

Old 07-10-2007, 07:52 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,476,830 times
Duane Allman is probably my favorite. That early Allman Brothers, like Live at the Fillmore, with Duane on slide guitar and Greg on the organs.. that stuff is unbelievable. I'm real big on the White Stripes, too. I just bought an album by his band The Raconteurs, and the jury is still out on that one. Lately I've also been listening to the North Mississippi Allstars.

Some Canned Heat wound up on my iPod, and I listen to it from time to time. I'm not crazy about it. It's managed to stay on there for about two years without me deleting it, though, so I guess it's in limbo. I think I may just have the "wrong" album.

I'll have to check out Jonny Lang, Eagle Park Slim, Hamilton Loomis, and Bonnie Raitt. What's Bonnie Raitt's best album? The only song I can think of is "Let's give them something to talk about", which was catchy, but not exactly what I'm looking for. My philosophy is to throw as much crap at the wall as possible, and see what sticks.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:28 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,351,543 times
HUGE blues fan - in fact once in concert I saw Muddy waters, willie dixon and big twist and the mellow fellows (anyone remember him? r.i.p), John Lee Hooker, Son Seals, albert collins, Buddy Guy.

I mostly like the older blues - acoustic I like a lot. Buddy guy, Son Seals, B.B. King, Taj Mahal, Albert Collins, Delbert McClinton, Sonny Boy Williamson, Howling wolf, Robert Johnson, Koko taylor... on and on...

Check out many of the artists on the alligator record label.

Also like the new guys: Jonny lang, keb mo, and kenny wayne shepard (whom I saw opening for the rolling stones).

The best way to see the blues is to go to the clubs. Support your local blues clubs! And check out those blues festivals out there! esp. in Chicago (memorial day weekend I think) and the Handy blues and bbq festival in Henderson, KY and there is a new one in Aurora IL that I missed this year (out of town).

Old 07-10-2007, 08:30 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
I'll have to check out Jonny Lang, Eagle Park Slim, Hamilton Loomis, and Bonnie Raitt. What's Bonnie Raitt's best album? The only song I can think of is "Let's give them something to talk about", which was catchy, but not exactly what I'm looking for. My philosophy is to throw as much crap at the wall as possible, and see what sticks.

I would suggest The Bonnie Raitt Collection, good album, probably a bit less 'commercial' than "Let's Give Them Something to Talk About".

Old 07-10-2007, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post

I mostly like the older blues - acoustic I like a lot. Buddy guy, Son Seals, B.B. King, Taj Mahal, Albert Collins, Delbert McClinton, Sonny Boy Williamson, Howling wolf, Robert Johnson, Koko taylor... on and on...

Check out many of the artists on the alligator record label.

Also like the new guys: Jonny lang, keb mo, and kenny wayne shepard (whom I saw opening for the rolling stones).

The best way to see the blues is to go to the clubs
. .

Those Chicago clubs are really, really good.

Delbert McClinton used to play Colorado a lot (isn't he from Texas) and I managed to see him there back in the 70's.
John Lee Hooker, as well.
Hooker could do kind of an uptempo style that I really liked.

heh--I saw BB King open for the Rolling Stones. (Once again, back in the 70's.)
I guess those guys pay their due to the older statesmen as well as the upcoming youth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music