Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2009, 06:58 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,761,834 times

Advertisements

Anyone see this mockumentary detailing how life in America would be if the South had won the civil war??? I watched it last night and was impressed by the movie was able to weave historical figures into a complete story ... I watched it on IFC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 09:30 AM

23,615 posts, read 70,504,176 times
I saw it a while back. IMO, it was uninformed trash. I only watched it to the end to see just how far it would go into outrageous territory.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:53 PM

It was meant to be outrageous. What I found very disturbing are the commercials that were for real products.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:22 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,778,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
It was meant to be outrageous. What I found very disturbing are the commercials that were for real products.
I agree. DH and I watched this one night a while ago. We were looking for a movie to watch On Demand and wondered what this was. It was ridiculous, but those commercials were disturbing.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefightermom View Post
I agree. DH and I watched this one night a while ago. We were looking for a movie to watch On Demand and wondered what this was. It was ridiculous, but those commercials were disturbing.
I agree ... it was even more disturbing to know that those products and services ARE OR WERE REAL!

Old 03-24-2009, 05:56 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,976,991 times
We live in a different time ... we watched the movie on IFC and it was a piece of trash.

I was born and raised here in South Carolina ... I lived it ... I am older then most of you ... the war didn't free the slaves ... yes perhaps on paper it did ... but in Woolworth's and McCrorey Five & Dime Stores as a kid I remember the water fountains ... White and Colored ... the restrooms were the same way except .. it was Women ... Men .... and Colored (both sexes too) ... I attended public schools and the schools were snow white ... with black schools on the other side of town ... doctors offices had waiting rooms ... White and Colored ... I have seen the aftermath of cross burnings by the KKK ... I am not trying to stir up anything ... I was around for the lunch counter sit-ins and the arrest of the Friendship 9 ... spending 30 days in jail for merely taking a seat at Woolworth's lunch counter. Both of our five and dime stores removed the seats and closed the lunch counters down.

Back then our local paper newspaper printed an editorial critical of the student sit-ins with a wry joke about Rock Hill being "the only town east of the Mississippi that pulls in customers from as far away as Washington and Chicago to eat a ham sandwich at a five and ten cent store."

This is an interesting timeline of those turbulent times in the south:

Civil Rights Timeline

This depresses me when I look back and wonder how in the world could people be so dumb and but it was a way of life. I bounced in the doctors office and as a kid never thought of the two different waiting rooms ... it's how it was. Dr. Martin Luther King was a true emancipator for his people and it was a sad day when he was murdered.

Around here we have all these Confederate reenactment groups that get out and fight the war ... thank goodness we don't have the KKK reenactment groups burning crosses in those awful white sheets.

I have rambled on but that movie to me was like a horror flick ... as usual the argument will be the war was not over slavery. So I guess it really wasn't over slavery since even after Lee surrendered to Grant at Appomattox in 1865 the blacks have had to fight for every inch for over a 100+ years.

But ... they have made it at last!

Old 03-25-2009, 06:00 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,388,272 times
Well, I'm sold...I had not heard of this but I'm definitely interested.
For those who hate it -- what is so outrageous and trashy about it?

Old 03-25-2009, 11:51 PM

23,615 posts, read 70,504,176 times
Slavery was only a partial issue in the war between the states, at best. Economically, other countries had slaves at the time and phased out slaveholding without civil war, simply because it didn't make sense.

The idiotumentary plays up the concept of slaveholding until it is a farce, and uses that as a launching pad for "contextual" commercials. How to put it.... ??? In the 1800s many houses use outhouses. If, in the year 2000, a movie suggested that all New Englanders still used outhouses as a matter of cultural choice, and held on to corncobs as toilet paper, you would have a similar theme.

If you study the Constitution, and you study what Lincoln did, it becomes obvious that the original documents were tossed in the mud in pursuit of a strong Federal government. The movie demeans that into a cartoon warfare and a later country that holds ludicrous beliefs.

There is no doubt that slavery occurred and was an issue. There is no doubt that slavery was against egalitarian principles that I hold more strongly than almost all people in this country. My point is that slavery could have, and would have, been abolished within 30 years of the inception of the war, and that the trends were more than obvious at the time. By creating the civil war, and focusing on slavery as a "cause," I contend that it made polarity responders continue Jim Crow for decades longer than would otherwise have occurred, and made racism a politically correct modality for those who were against the aggression of Lincoln.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies