Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 01:34 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,048,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
He imbued his character with not only the necessary does of evil and mischief but also a great deal of wit and a sharp very dark sense of humour and in parts I almost found myself agreeing with the Joker.

You hit the nail on the head with that statement. I found myself not only agreeing with the Joker but almost rooting for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 02:51 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,729,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
You hit the nail on the head with that statement. I found myself not only agreeing with the Joker but almost rooting for him.

I agree. I became almost sympathetic to him and I do believe the best villains are those we find ourselves understanding . I guess it makes us dig a bit deeper into our darker side and the dual nature of human nature. They become more human and less of a caricature. Monsters we can understand are always the most fascinating characters. This is why I also love "Dexter" a very complex character with many facets.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:14 PM

90 posts, read 211,696 times
I read that Johnny Depp is playing the Riddler in the next installment. Anyone else hear that??

Old 01-14-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaylaBrielle View Post
I read that Johnny Depp is playing the Riddler in the next installment. Anyone else hear that??

Again, thats a rumor. They dont even know that there is a next one and if there is they havent even determined what the storyline will be and what villians will be in it.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:25 PM

23,042 posts, read 28,582,244 times
I hope it's a nonsense rumor.

The Riddler. Dumbest. Villain. Ever.

If they do the Penguin as a vicious little gangster, he'd be very cool. If they do him as the little sewer troll... not so much.

Catwoman could be loads of fun.

There are some villains that work great in comics or in animation --- Poison Ivy, Mr. Freeze, Manbat --- but I just don't know how Nolan could do them live-action without coming across really goofy.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:43 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,414,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
There are some villains that work great in comics or in animation --- Poison Ivy, Mr. Freeze, Manbat --- but I just don't know how Nolan could do them live-action without coming across really goofy.
Well, Poison Ivy and Mr. Freeze were both in the *bad* film so that's not really proof that they can't be done. But I agree - it would have to be done very carefully.
Manbat.
What a great character. I would love for somebody to be able to translate that character to film successfully.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:02 PM

90 posts, read 211,696 times
Not familiar with ManBat. Sounds interesting. What's ManBats costume & angle about.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
Well, Poison Ivy and Mr. Freeze were both in the *bad* film so that's not really proof that they can't be done. But I agree - it would have to be done very carefully.
The thing about those two characters is that with them you are diving headfirst into farout science-fiction, if not fantasy. And so far at least, Nolan's Batfilm's have had at least one foot planted in reality.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaylaBrielle View Post
Not familiar with ManBat. Sounds interesting. What's ManBats costume & angle about.
No costume at all. He was a scientist studying bats who accidentally turns himself into a half-bat/half-man hybrid. Sort of a bat-take on the whole werewolf/Dr. Hyde thing.

Man-Bat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-15-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
No costume at all. He was a scientist studying bats who accidentally turns himself into a half-bat/half-man hybrid. Sort of a bat-take on the whole werewolf/Dr. Hyde thing.

Man-Bat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That goes completely against Nolan's adaption of the Batman story so far. So far, he has avoided the sci-fi fantasy stuff and stayed somewhat realistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies