Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2021, 10:43 AM

30,676 posts, read 18,301,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So be specific -- since covid, how are they "better than ever"? And how does that differ from other theater chains since covid?
The only way I think they are "better than ever" is that they are cleaned more frequently and effectively it seems. Plus, the number of goers seems to be down, which makes for a better experience in my view. Note, the point about the crowds is true even for popular movies from what I've seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2021, 10:12 AM

50,942 posts, read 24,441,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
The only way I think they are "better than ever" is that they are cleaned more frequently and effectively it seems. Plus, the number of goers seems to be down, which makes for a better experience in my view. Note, the point about the crowds is true even for popular movies from what I've seen.
Smaller audiences is hardly something the theater chain has done to benefit patrons...which I though was his point (in terms of better than ever).

Old 07-15-2021, 11:03 AM

30,676 posts, read 18,301,918 times
Quote:
Smaller audiences is hardly something the theater chain has done to benefit patrons...which I though was his point (in terms of better than ever).
I think to an extent, they did. AMC enforced social distancing, I believe, even where it wasn't required by law. I could be wrong about that, though. Now, that's more of a health benefit to patrons, as opposed to a comfort benefit, but still a plus in my book.

Old 07-15-2021, 10:33 PM

29,528 posts, read 22,724,849 times
I just checked my Fandango account and the last movie I saw was 1917 back on January 27, 2020. Yowzers, that's the longest time I've ever gone without seeing a movie in a theater, as far back as I can remember since I was old enough to start watching movies on my own.

I was thinking of going this past weekend but hesitated. Going to the theater was a weekly ritual pre-pandemic but now I really don't have that urge. If I had a choice between watching a new movie in a theater versus streaming it at home, I'd stream it every time.

Old 07-16-2021, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I think to an extent, they did. AMC enforced social distancing, I believe, even where it wasn't required by law. I could be wrong about that, though. Now, that's more of a health benefit to patrons, as opposed to a comfort benefit, but still a plus in my book.
But they're not going to continue doing that for any significant length of time.

Old 07-16-2021, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I just checked my Fandango account and the last movie I saw was 1917 back on January 27, 2020. Yowzers, that's the longest time I've ever gone without seeing a movie in a theater, as far back as I can remember since I was old enough to start watching movies on my own.

I was thinking of going this past weekend but hesitated. Going to the theater was a weekly ritual pre-pandemic but now I really don't have that urge. If I had a choice between watching a new movie in a theater versus streaming it at home, I'd stream it every time.
For me it may come down to that occasional movie that just needs to be seen on the big screen. The last film I really wanted to see on the big screen was "Aladdin". Most movies, however, are not something that requires a big screen because its the story and acting that is most important.

Old 07-16-2021, 12:23 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,872,048 times
If theaters had to depend on me for revenue, they would have gone broke by now. LOL

Old 07-16-2021, 03:59 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,046,798 times
Quote:
But they're not going to continue doing that for any significant length of time.
They no longer block out seats or rows unless it's required by local health officials.

Old 07-17-2021, 11:23 AM

2,506 posts, read 3,255,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

Agreed. Streaming is the future for Hollywood and many movies go direct to home video like The Irishman.
Old Hollywood is basically dead.

Old 07-17-2021, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaboy View Post
Agreed. Streaming is the future for Hollywood and many movies go direct to home video like The Irishman.
Old Hollywood is basically dead.
I'm reading the latest biography of Cary Grant, and twice they have talked about the "old Hollywood" system being dead -- two separate periods. Hollywood always reinvents itself. But I do wonder if ultimately star salaries will ever be the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies