Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2020, 12:40 PM

22,953 posts, read 28,365,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Winter's Bone was great, albeit depressing. I think that may have been the first starring role for Jennifer Lawrence, herself from the Appalachia region of Kentucky. I remember watching that thinking 'No one has smiled in this entire film.' Great movie though.
Agreed. It's a very grim movie, but a very good movie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2020, 01:19 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,031 posts, read 6,560,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
My son is slightly younger than the author, he was required to have an expensive graphing calculator in middle school.
Hard to believe the student would be required to purchase one. I taught at Ocean County College up until 2010 and students could borrow (sign out) high end calculators (including graphing calculators) from the math department office.

Back in the mid-70's I took a graduate Quantitative Analysis (Chemistry) course and a scientific calculator that could do scientific notation was suggested (but not required). I scraped together $75 to by my first TI scientific calculator. Before TI started offering them HP had them for $350 and up!

Old 11-30-2020, 03:19 PM

26,822 posts, read 26,966,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Winter's Bone was great, albeit depressing. I think that may have been the first starring role for Jennifer Lawrence, herself from the Appalachia region of Kentucky. I remember watching that thinking 'No one has smiled in this entire film.' Great movie though.
That book was also great. The protagonist was a real survivor.

Old 11-30-2020, 06:59 PM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 8 days ago)

16,101 posts, read 21,239,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
Hard to believe the student would be required to purchase one. I taught at Ocean County College up until 2010 and students could borrow (sign out) high end calculators (including graphing calculators) from the math department office.

Back in the mid-70's I took a graduate Quantitative Analysis (Chemistry) course and a scientific calculator that could do scientific notation was suggested (but not required). I scraped together $75 to by my first TI scientific calculator. Before TI started offering them HP had them for $350 and up!
Yeah, like the above poster mentioned AP classes. I believe my son was in an elective class that involved learning to code. I know he and his friends programmed some very simplistic games onto their calculators as a part of the course. I assume the schools didn't see a need to supply fancy calculators for elective or upper level courses, even for students from working class or poor neighborhoods, like us.

Old 11-30-2020, 09:52 PM

37,313 posts, read 60,014,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
I thought the story of the movie was very relatable to me. I grew up in a poor household where I was going to be the person that was going to have to change the situation for myself. I think many people don't understand generational poverty and generational mistakes. Many people understand generational wealth. My Mom had a gambling problem and I had to pay rent or bills at times, because my Mom gambled the money away. Many people just don't understand that kind of dynamic where you feel like you're being pulled between two worlds.
My family was poor
My dad had a drinking problem when he came home from WW2 w/PTSD that took long time to right itself
And he also had a bad back from service injury that made getting a job in the oil field hard to do
We ate fried bologna because it was cheap—and fried salt pork
I saw my mom cry one day when I came home from school hungry and ate leftovers she was planning to use for supper when my dad was in the VA hospital with hiss back and she was working as waitress at the “beer joint” next door....

There are plenty of people who know about generational poverty even today
Trump and the GOP are helping create more every day since they won’t pass a new CoVid relief bill to help the working poor and others outside the 5%=
And plenty of children who have to be the head of the house

Old 12-01-2020, 06:42 AM

4,828 posts, read 4,295,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
My family was poor
My dad had a drinking problem when he came home from WW2 w/PTSD that took long time to right itself
And he also had a bad back from service injury that made getting a job in the oil field hard to do
We ate fried bologna because it was cheap—and fried salt pork
I saw my mom cry one day when I came home from school hungry and ate leftovers she was planning to use for supper when my dad was in the VA hospital with hiss back and she was working as waitress at the “beer joint” next door....

There are plenty of people who know about generational poverty even today
Trump and the GOP are helping create more every day since they won’t pass a new CoVid relief bill to help the working poor and others outside the 5%=
And plenty of children who have to be the head of the house
I don't think we needed to direct this thread to anything political. I'm middle class, working a middle management job, living a middle class lifestyle. I'll never be rich; however, I was fortunate enough to find a role that suits me and provides a nice living wage.

I was luckily able to change my life trajectory, but I did bump my head and make sacrifices along the way. The two biggest sacrifices I made is never getting married and never having any children. Growing up in a single parent household and being abandoned by my dad really made me look at the world through a different lens. I always said if I was to get married and have children, I wanted it to be with a woman that I was madly in love with. I had that opportunity in college, but squandered it because I was not only immature, but not ready. What they don't teach you in school is that even though life is your oyster, life doesn't slow down for anyone.

Vance was smart enough to realize that he had a really good woman at his side. That's what I liked to see the most. The fact that he was able to see that there was a whole life ahead of him that was outside of his dysfunctional family. You can't keep making excuses for your parents, grandparents, or siblings. They made their bed and now they have to lay in it.

As a poor kid, watching another poor kid; I was happy that he was able to really pursue his own happiness. He was never going to find that happiness constantly having to look after his mother. It was up to her to take responsibility for her actions and her decisions.

Good news is that she was finally able to get herself clean and live a normal life.

Old 12-01-2020, 09:05 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,005,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
***** If you love movies and haven't yet seen HELL OR HIGH WATER, you need to have your movie-watching license revoked until you have paid your fine and rectified your egregious error in judgment.
I really liked Hell or High Water, so I guess I get to keep my movie-lover card....

--

Old 12-01-2020, 09:35 AM

5,958 posts, read 2,904,644 times
Quote:

My youngest son. Graduated from Penn.St.back in late 1990s.He had to buy a scientific calculator for around 400 dollars for a STEM class ,none provided.
He now has Masters in Mechanical & Nuclear Engineering. with patents in fluid flow design..The $400 eas well spent.

Old 12-01-2020, 10:01 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,444,845 times
Quote:

Ha - that sounds like the calculator I got with my corn detasseling money - EXPENSIVE! ...but it also had statistical functions.

Old 12-01-2020, 10:18 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,005,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Well, I am back with my review. I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. I did not find it to be depressing, but oddly redemptive. All performances were superb.

It wasn't too long, too dearly, or overly sentimental. It certainly was not political. Glenn Closes' performance as the mouthy, but loving matriarch was a standout.

Two enthusiastic thumbs up!
I agree. I saw it this weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. Glenn Close was brilliant and almost unrecognizable. And I agree about the movie being redemptive. From the book and the movie I found a story about somebody who was able to overcome a very difficult childhood and succeed in life. I thought the message was clear: "Yes you can break the cycle of poverty, abuse and drug addiction."

--
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies