Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2020, 01:09 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,635,887 times

Advertisements

Today I've been binge-watching Seinfeld's "Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee" and wondered for the millionth time: How are the background people/crowds handled?

For instance, in the coffee shops, no other patrons look their way or act interested so I assumed they are all actors. But Jerry said they weren't, just "regular people". But he could have been joking.

Then on the street, all the throngs of people are not staring or following or gaping at these stars walking along with a couple of camera-men. Did they actually hire hundreds of extras for the street, and get rid of the "regular people"?

Because a few times, people DID throng them, try to talk to them, etc. (outside, not inside)

I know in big movies, the streets can be closed off and extras hired for the "crowds" but is this always the case?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2020, 02:57 PM

16,415 posts, read 12,495,187 times
Yes, they're extras. They're "regular" people, not actors, no SAG cards ... hired for the day.

Old 08-26-2020, 08:15 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,857,522 times
I always figured they would announce to the extras that if they ignored the cameras, they would get the chance to be on TV.

Old 08-26-2020, 08:24 PM

I just watched the episode with Bob Einstein and Jerry Seinfeld. Those are definitely real people, not hired extras. Some are laughing. Others have their faces blurred.
I guess that coffee shop patrons in general are such narcissists that they feel the need to be on camera.

Old 08-27-2020, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I just watched the episode with Bob Einstein and Jerry Seinfeld. Those are definitely real people, not hired extras. Some are laughing. Others have their faces blurred.
I guess that coffee shop patrons in general are such narcissists that they feel the need to be on camera.
I just watched that episode now. I didn't notice that episode having any "regular" people. I didn't see the patrons staring like normal folks would.

But then again, I was so distracted by Einstein's scratchy voice. What's up with that?

Old 08-27-2020, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Yes, they're extras. They're "regular" people, not actors, no SAG cards ... hired for the day.
How do they find them? What do they pay them?

Old 08-27-2020, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I think his comment was in reference to regular staged movies and TV shows.

But this is NYC isn't it? I don't think most people there would be phased or even interested by seeing someone at a table with a camera-man. There are all sorts of professional and amateur film makers in some cities, the people there get used to it. Plus, some cameras are more discreet these days. Jerry also is not quite as recognizable as he was 20 years ago. And he has been out of the public eye for that long and he looks different. His guest was not recognizable at all.

Old 08-27-2020, 04:28 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,948,595 times
In the late 60s, the movie The Molly Maguires was being filmed in Jim Thorpe in northeastern PA. My neighbor and a couple of friends of his answered an ad requesting anyone interested in being in the film to show up at a "cattle call". They were hired; had no dialogue; just spectators at an event. Two of his friends were cut from their scene but my neighbor did appear briefly. They were paid by the day, fed a meal if there was a lunch break, and did nothing more than react to the scene. Typical extra work.

I'm not sure people pay too much attention these days - so into their selves and their phones that they don't notice things around them. I've encountered sports stars but if I saw they were filming something, I'd not approach them.

Old 08-27-2020, 06:59 PM

7,588 posts, read 4,158,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
My co-worker was hired for the day. I believe she was paid just over $200.

Old 08-28-2020, 12:06 PM

9,115 posts, read 6,165,173 times
As Ozzy said, it's New York, nothing fazes a true New Yorker.

Back in the 1980's i was working in a building on Park Avenue, across from St. Bart's. When I went out for lunch, I could see a bunch of people across the street by the church. I asked someone who was coming into my building what was going on. She said there were some movie people across the street but she wasn't sure what was going on. Turns out they were filming Arthur with Liza Minelli and Dudley Moore. No one bothered to stop and look. We all hurried to do our lunchtime errands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies